OT: Help ID this vehicle? (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition

Malagant -> OT: Help ID this vehicle? (4/20/2015 8:10:01 PM)

I was chatting with my dad about WITP, and he mentioned my Great Uncle Tony who family tradition has it served with Patton in WW2.

Dad sent this pic, with this short email:

quote:

I never did get all of the story correct but as I remember it, Uncle Tony (your great uncle) had his tank hit some where in France and as he was climbing out, it blew, the door slammed shut on his leg. He was able to hide in a farm house until rescued and was awarded the Bronze Star and Purple Heart. He walked with a noticeable limp the rest of his life. I have never done any research and have always wondered if he was with Patton.

I think it's an M9, but don't know things as well as many of you. I can't really see any unit ID markings on the tank other than Roda's Raiders (the family name is Roda) which I guess is the tank "name"

Any help IDing the vehicle or unit greatly appreciated!!

[image]local://upfiles/11323/D39924BA95C54B9399C7FEA933844F5F.jpg[/image]

AW1Steve -> RE: OT: Help ID this vehicle? (4/20/2015 8:14:09 PM)

M7 Priest? SP gun. [&:]

Yaab -> RE: OT: Help ID this vehicle? (4/20/2015 8:24:51 PM)

The FOW is strong with this one.

rockmedic109 -> RE: OT: Help ID this vehicle? (4/20/2015 8:39:31 PM)

AW1Steve is right. M7 Priest.

Shark7 -> RE: OT: Help ID this vehicle? (4/21/2015 12:37:26 AM)

And I believe the M7 was technically a self propelled howitzer, carried a 105mm.

obvert -> RE: OT: Help ID this vehicle? (4/21/2015 7:44:32 AM)

Yep. Just read a bit about them while traveling in the Ardennes. Based on the M3 Lee chasis and standard self-propelled arty for much of the war, later built onto M4 chassis (beginning late 43).

One of the modifications of this type was during the move to eradicate the Falaise pocket, and a bunch of M7s had the 105mm taken out to function as armored personnel carriers. They were nick-named "Defrocked Priests' or 'Holy Rollers.' (!![:D])

kbfchicago -> RE: OT: Help ID this vehicle? (4/21/2015 2:03:29 PM)

As to the question of "did uncle Tony serve under old Blood and Guts" you can order great uncle Tony's military service record at "www.archives.gov". If his record is even somewhat complete you should see his units of assignment and campaign credits as well as a listing of his personnel citations.

We did this for my wife's father (Navy - armed guard on merchant ships form early 41-45) and were able to trace his many voyages, survival during two sinkings, and gained a few more misc tid'bits of information he neglicated to mention to his kids, apparently a bit of hell raiser - entering and exiting the Navy as an E2 [X(].

Malagant -> RE: OT: Help ID this vehicle? (4/21/2015 2:45:43 PM)

Thanks for all the help guys! I'm heading over to archives.gov and will post any fun info I find!

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI