OK Kids....you can own only one of these...which do you pick? (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition

JohnDillworth -> OK Kids....you can own only one of these...which do you pick? (5/8/2015 10:33:35 PM)

http://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/local/flyover/?hpid=z1

Numdydar -> RE: OK Kids....you can own only one of these...which do you pick? (5/8/2015 10:49:51 PM)

PBY for me [:D]

fodder -> RE: OK Kids....you can own only one of these...which do you pick? (5/9/2015 1:00:32 AM)

The SBD is mine! [;)]

ny59giants -> RE: OK Kids....you can own only one of these...which do you pick? (5/9/2015 1:14:52 AM)

Got to go with the P-38 Lightning.

DOCUP -> RE: OK Kids....you can own only one of these...which do you pick? (5/9/2015 2:03:39 AM)

Corsair[sm=00000947.gif]

Shark7 -> RE: OK Kids....you can own only one of these...which do you pick? (5/9/2015 2:53:01 AM)

P-40 for me please.

JocMeister -> RE: OK Kids....you can own only one of these...which do you pick? (5/9/2015 5:46:06 AM)

How can you NOT pick a Corsair? Most beautiful plane ever built.

warspite1 -> RE: OK Kids....you can own only one of these...which do you pick? (5/9/2015 6:07:14 AM)

Avenger. [sm=bow.gif][sm=00001746.gif]

obvert -> RE: OK Kids....you can own only one of these...which do you pick? (5/9/2015 7:52:51 AM)

Man, this is a lot better than the flyover here in London. Should see a spit, a hurri and a Lancaster later though, and they usually go right over the flat.

Although I'm with Jocke on aesthetics, (the Corsair wins) I'd want a PBY. Imagine where you could take that thing![:)]

Treetop64 -> RE: OK Kids....you can own only one of these...which do you pick? (5/9/2015 8:10:56 AM)

The P-38. Twins are sexeh.

Rising-Sun -> RE: OK Kids....you can own only one of these...which do you pick? (5/9/2015 8:41:21 AM)

Kids? lol well there none I like on this list :(

KenchiSulla -> RE: OK Kids....you can own only one of these...which do you pick? (5/9/2015 9:29:59 AM)

Sadly, no P47.... I'll take the F4F then..

Itdepends -> RE: OK Kids....you can own only one of these...which do you pick? (5/9/2015 9:43:23 AM)

The corsair would be the one to aspire to but the PBY is the practical one. Like a sports car vs a sedan.

LeeChard -> RE: OK Kids....you can own only one of these...which do you pick? (5/9/2015 10:50:39 AM)

P-51. What a view and the sound of the Merlin [:)]

wdolson -> RE: OK Kids....you can own only one of these...which do you pick? (5/9/2015 11:01:46 AM)

I think an A-26 would better for a plane to go places than a PBY. I don't think anyone has landed a PBY on water in 30 years. If you did want to land it on water, you have to deal with extra corrosion problems as well as checking the hull for leaks. Plus a PBY is very slow. An A-26 has twice the cruising speed.

I noticed they didn't have any Hellcats at that airshow. That had the highest kill to loss ratio of any plane that saw any significant combat, and shot down almost as many planes as P-51s.

Bill

John 3rd -> RE: OK Kids....you can own only one of these...which do you pick? (5/9/2015 1:01:19 PM)

B-17!

JohnDillworth -> RE: OK Kids....you can own only one of these...which do you pick? (5/9/2015 1:40:59 PM)

quote:

You must like those fancy German or Japanese imports[:)]

wneumann -> RE: OK Kids....you can own only one of these...which do you pick? (5/9/2015 2:14:57 PM)

quote:

P-51. What a view and the sound of the Merlin

Or the deHavilland Mosquito with two Merlins.

Chickenboy -> RE: OK Kids....you can own only one of these...which do you pick? (5/9/2015 2:26:26 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: obvert
I'd want a PBY. Imagine where you could take that thing![:)]

My point exactly. It would work great for fly-in fishing trips! [8D]

Feltan -> RE: OK Kids....you can own only one of these...which do you pick? (5/9/2015 3:31:27 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

quote:

Most of the rivers and streams I fly-fish at would make a PBY landing a little dicey -- too shallow and too rocky. :-)

Regards,
Feltan

obvert -> RE: OK Kids....you can own only one of these...which do you pick? (5/9/2015 4:26:12 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: wdolson

I think an A-26 would better for a plane to go places than a PBY. I don't think anyone has landed a PBY on water in 30 years. If you did want to land it on water, you have to deal with extra corrosion problems as well as checking the hull for leaks. Plus a PBY is very slow. An A-26 has twice the cruising speed.

Bill

Slow, yes, but I can wander around from the nose turret to the side blisters. That interior is big enough for a nice little lounge with a table, a bed, a big screen LCD, and a nice minibar!

If I suddenly got into high frequency trading and was able to afford this kind of thing, I'd be thinking about journeys like this!

http://www.michaelprophet.com/News_articles/TransAfricanCat.html

Or just days like this! [:)]

[image]local://upfiles/37283/2A88AD6EF26846BC82E0780F9F75B5B5.jpg[/image]

John 3rd -> RE: OK Kids....you can own only one of these...which do you pick? (5/9/2015 4:33:49 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: JohnDillworth

quote:

Random question: Are there ANY Japanese bombers still flying? I know there are several fighters but are there any Betty/Nell/Sally/etc...

JohnDillworth -> RE: OK Kids....you can own only one of these...which do you pick? (5/9/2015 6:17:17 PM)

quote:

Random question: Are there ANY Japanese bombers still flying? I know there are several fighters but are there any Betty/Nell/Sally/etc...

Betty was a good looking plane.

JohnDillworth -> RE: OK Kids....you can own only one of these...which do you pick? (5/9/2015 7:08:44 PM)

quote:

Random question: Are there ANY Japanese bombers still flying? I know there are several fighters but are there any Betty/Nell/Sally/etc..

As far as I can tell no. there is one Betty, a Judy and I think Val in existence The Judy might be flyable but the Betty has yet to be restored. There is an air museum in Chino Calf that has the Val and the Betty Planes of Fame

m10bob -> RE: OK Kids....you can own only one of these...which do you pick? (5/9/2015 8:56:52 PM)

The J 3 I learned to fly in was an exact twin of the L 4 as shown, (complete with the blue tinted plastic window over the cockpit which not all had.)

bomccarthy -> RE: OK Kids....you can own only one of these...which do you pick? (5/9/2015 9:22:40 PM)

At least with the Piper, you have a toy which you can use fairly often. Parts should be easy to come by and the later versions of the engine are still made, unlike with the others. If you own anything with a Merlin, you'll have to stand in line for parts with the racers, who blow a few up every year.

Chickenboy -> RE: OK Kids....you can own only one of these...which do you pick? (5/9/2015 9:28:39 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Feltan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

quote:

Most of the rivers and streams I fly-fish at would make a PBY landing a little dicey -- too shallow and too rocky. :-)

Regards,
Feltan

Well, a PBY for the long-haul stuff and then one of these babies for the small stuff. C'mon Feltan-use your imagination, man! [;)]

[image]local://upfiles/6968/218995789987434A917EA56AFB987217.jpg[/image]

Chickenboy -> RE: OK Kids....you can own only one of these...which do you pick? (5/9/2015 9:29:19 PM)

quote:

quote:

Bill

Slow, yes, but I can wander around from the nose turret to the side blisters. That interior is big enough for a nice little lounge with a table, a bed, a big screen LCD, and a nice minibar!

If I suddenly got into high frequency trading and was able to afford this kind of thing, I'd be thinking about journeys like this!

Now yer talkin'!

Dibs on the lounge area!

warspite1 -> RE: OK Kids....you can own only one of these...which do you pick? (5/9/2015 10:01:43 PM)

quote:

quote:

Bill

warspite1

I believe this picture was taken near Guadalcanal, yes it was, I can make out The Slot.....

wdolson -> RE: OK Kids....you can own only one of these...which do you pick? (5/9/2015 10:56:02 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: JohnDillworth

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: John 3rd

This is a good place to start:
http://www.warbirdregistry.org/

I think it's a bit out of date though. There was another site dedicated to preserved Axis aircraft, but I found a forum notice that it had been shutdown a few years ago.

There are some Spanish built He-111s still flying, and there was a Do-24 flyable a few years ago, but I think it is in a museum now. The Do-24 had been re-engined with much newer engines and was used by the grandson of the founder of Dornier to attempt an around the world flight.

There are fewer Japanese aircraft left and even fewer in flyable condition. I know at least one Judy has been restored to flyable condition, but I don't think it is ever flown. As far as I know, there are no twin engine Axis aircraft flyable except those Spanish He-111s.

Bill

Page: [1] 2   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI