RE: A Sad Day (Full Version)

All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion

parusski -> RE: A Sad Day (5/14/2015 11:56:16 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: rhondabrwn

quote:

ORIGINAL: parusski

Sorry Rhonda, but you made me chuckle at his refusal to modernize. We most likely did miss out on things he could have added to the Civil War thread.

It was kind of a joke in the family to be honest. He also refused to learn to drive a car and relied on his wife, kids, and the bus for transportation.

The sad thing is that if he been computer literate we would probably have been exchanging notes and updates on a daily basis instead of a letter every couple of years. I guess that loss of contact over the years is what really hurts. His daughter, Tracy, did take a laptop in to his retirement home recently and let him view my Facebook timeline and photos to bring him up to date on my life. That made me feel somewhat better.

He would have been such an asset for the forums... like having Shelby Foote sharing all his folksy civil war anecdotes. Norman had that same style in his teaching as Shelby has in his books and interviews... always a personal story behind every event. I wish I had been a few years older when we did all our battlefield tours and could have better memories of them.

Heck, I wish we could have done a battlefield tour as adults... but our lives were too separate and too busy for that to have ever been a possibility. And now just a "what it" footnote to the Brown family histories.

Once again, I really appreciate all the kind comments and support in this difficult time [&o]

Well I he had been our "Shelby Foote".

Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI