1.08 Changes and Thoughts (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> The War Room

lowtech -> 1.08 Changes and Thoughts (5/13/2015 2:41:45 PM)

Hello all,

Got this baby out after a long hiatus and am wondering what the Grognards feel are the biggest effects of the update. At least first impressions anyway

For me the big element is how well the logistics are simulated and it appears, repeat appears, that the 1.08 made a significant change, and what looks like and improvement in this respect.

I'm using Jison's map mod (thanks)

regards

charlie0311 -> RE: 1.08 Changes and Thoughts (5/13/2015 3:07:02 PM)

Question is way to big to approach in the forums, find the patchnotes, start there.:)

lowtech -> RE: 1.08 Changes and Thoughts (5/14/2015 11:52:34 AM)

Oh I agree. I read (glanced over) the patch notes. I was looking more for players' general impressions

gingerbread -> RE: 1.08 Changes and Thoughts (5/14/2015 12:06:37 PM)

Soviet national morale. Nothing comes even close in effect compared to this change.

lowtech -> RE: 1.08 Changes and Thoughts (5/14/2015 12:10:47 PM)

Gingerbread,

Could you expand please.

loki100 -> RE: 1.08 Changes and Thoughts (5/14/2015 12:45:19 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: lowtech

Gingerbread,

Could you expand please.

it completely changes 1942. Soviet NM goes to 40 in April and stays there to October (compared to 45 before 1.08). That means by June most of your rifle divisions will be in the 39-42 range and you will really struggle to hold onto any ground. It makes generating a decent cadre of Gds from the 1941-2 winter battles utterly essential as they will hold their morale much better.

lowtech -> RE: 1.08 Changes and Thoughts (5/14/2015 12:51:49 PM)

Thanks, I'm trying to quote your comments concerning 1.08 but the software won't let me until 10 days from now. It's what you wrote concerning Logistics, very good btw.

chaos45 -> RE: 1.08 Changes and Thoughts (5/14/2015 2:50:02 PM)

Im still doing a run through with the new patch vs the AI.....

However and I know im playing the AI.....it seems alittle to easy to push the Soviets around at the start of 1942. Knowing a great deal about the campaign, and from looking at all the reports it seems things so far in my game have went very historical.

However, Start of summer 1942- Encircle and destroy almost 300k Soviet troops right off, and with really secondary effort push a 4 hex wide zone 2 hexes closer to be next to Moscow, and still have 10 Divisions finishing off leningrad.

diverted an entire Panzer corps, ton of Romanians and 6 infantry divisions to drive into the Crimea and finish off that....alot more than historical ran into a ton of good Soviet units there that most likely should be at Moscow.

Again though its May 1942 and Im on the offensive virtually across the whole front as the Soviets even with 6+ million troops cant stop me just launch local counterattacks here and there. I took some heavy losses and fought it out all winter long with the Soviets and the German army was able to basically replace everything by summer...I have like 2 armies on static duty in the North I reduced to 80% ToE but the entire rest of the German army is still set to 100% and maintaining in general 90%+

An this is with AI settings all being +10 so Im facing better morale Soviets than the standard. Seems maybe the changes are abit to much in favor of the Germans, as Im not an ace player by any stretch and playing pretty historically and its turning into a cake walk. I cant see the Soviets truly holding much of anything including Moscow through the summer of 1942....the only issues Im having is my Romanian army isnt really rebuilding due to a lack of armaments.

I mean I played just like the Germans historically pushed on until the snow/blizzards hit without digging in along most of the front and yes it was a brutal winter but manpower was replaced easily and didnt really lose much ground even against tons and tons of Soviet attacks. The only places the soviets seemd to do damage at all was Tula, my last push before winter so was very exposed, kharkov, and Rostov area...and even then I slowly gave ground and controlled the bleeding all winter till the GErmans got enough CV back to fight on equal terms and stop and even slowly drive the Soviets back while it was still snow/blizzard. This is on mild winter settings which seems to be the standard play now for human vs human play.

I guess my issue with this is...historically speaking I should be low on manpower somewhere.....so I cant afford to push almost the entire front in 1942...the Soviets are just so weak they cant inflict near enough damage to slow the Germans and thats with settings at +10.....the Computer is very aggressive and counterattacks successfully at every opportunity but a couple thousand losses a turn isnt going to cripple/stop the German advance.

So even after a brutal winter...Axis OOB is sitting at almost 4 million german with axis-allied adding another 1.5million vs only 6.2million Soviets and with Soviet CV being so low they have no chance in a 1:1 fight even dug-in.

Will keep playing as I get time and push foward through 1942, but I think Im going for Moscow in 1942 instead of stalingrad as my troops are at the gates right now and for the first good weather in 1942 I completely obliterated the entire Soviet front that was defending Tula and ripped open a massive hole just south of Moscow...and it was very heavily contested by the AI.....but against 4 full strength panzer corps backed by 2 full strength infantry armies is really nothing any amount of Soviets can do to stop it.....which I think seems to be an issue from my reading of history....first off the German army at very close to 100% strength and secondly the completely lack of ability in the Soviets even dug in with 3 division stacks to stop an advance of that strength....ya the frontline and reserves may wear down the initial infantry assaults and maybe even the first panzer corps but then since the follow on panzer corps eat no movement reduction they just move through the hole and keep building on the breakthrough to the point the Soviets by the time they get a turn can do nothing.

lowtech -> RE: 1.08 Changes and Thoughts (5/14/2015 9:49:48 PM)

Chaos45,

I am at turn 10 against the AI and it's basically put the entire force up around Leningrad, so were I to continue this game, I'd be able to take most of the approaches to Moscow and get, heaven knows how far in the Ukraine by Oct-Nov 41. Programming consistently good AI is notoriously difficult (and expensive), the usual solution is to boost the AI advantage some amount. I think PvP is where this engine works.

chaos45 -> RE: 1.08 Changes and Thoughts (5/14/2015 10:33:34 PM)

IDK i dont feel the AI did that bad a job in my game really....its newest decision to put tank corps and like 5 guards divisions to stop me in the crimea is odd when im next to moscow.

Now i didnt play super cheesy either, no HQ build-ups and in general followed a very historical approach to the advance. I found surrounding leningrad took abit of time but it wasnt that hard just bought the computer some time while I still had tanks committed to finishing the encirclement instead of sending them to moscow. By winter I was 2 hexes from moscow and managed to hold that line all winter, just in the south did I have to give ground. Which is where I had no real good terrain to make a stand in...in the north and center I lost basically no ground all winter and wasnt even fully dug-in to lvl 1 at the start in many spots. I found about anywhere the Germans got lvl 1 entrenched the Soviets couldnt push without massive effort which in turn bought time since your just trying to run down the first month of winter basically.

Also I am playing with a computer advantage on....IDK mayhaps I'll take a try at playing the axis against someone in the near future...wanted to practice with the Soviets though as with the new changes, I really feel the Soviets are probably the underdogs now. As from what Im seeing doesnt really matter what the Soviets do the Axis can just out CV them and push through...and this is with the AI units getting a +10 morale/logistics/entrenchment so should be even easier work for the axis vs a human player without the +10.

lowtech -> RE: 1.08 Changes and Thoughts (5/15/2015 11:14:31 AM)

Looking at the command points. It seems as though the Axis Army Groups are seriously "overloaded" CPs at 15 to 20% over even 30%; while the Soviet HQs are not; regardless of level. I checked the four campaign scenarios to compare. The Axis Armies and Corps appear to be (mostly) within the CP limits.

I understand from the forums and the manual, that CP overload means that the higher HQ may not be able to give support, and also ? less movement for the subordinate HQs.

Is this an intentional "balancing" effect? Does this matter? (In the context of the game [:)] )

loki100 -> RE: 1.08 Changes and Thoughts (5/15/2015 11:30:57 AM)

I'd say not.

I think for the Germans the key command levels are corps and armies, they have enough good commanders to populate those levels that you will rarely need the AG level to ensure you pass a given check.

With the Soviets its the reverse. By late 1942, its the Front that is the key level. You'll still have plenty of numpties at army level and that will only improve very slowly as a few of them gain extra stats. But by then, every Front should be well led and that is your primary safety net (also Stavka is more important than OKH due to the smaller command chain)

edit - should stress the point here is that overloading reduces the effective value of a commander at a level

lowtech -> RE: 1.08 Changes and Thoughts (5/15/2015 12:10:36 PM)

Thanks,

I think I'm gonna start a Loki100 Fanboi club. I just responded to your suggestions concerning house rules over in that folder. Or should I repost here?

Peltonx -> RE: 1.08 Changes and Thoughts (5/15/2015 6:58:04 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: loki100

I'd say not.

I think for the Germans the key command levels are corps and armies, they have enough good commanders to populate those levels that you will rarely need the AG level to ensure you pass a given check.

With the Soviets its the reverse. By late 1942, its the Front that is the key level. You'll still have plenty of numpties at army level and that will only improve very slowly as a few of them gain extra stats. But by then, every Front should be well led and that is your primary safety net (also Stavka is more important than OKH due to the smaller command chain)

edit - should stress the point here is that overloading reduces the effective value of a commander at a level

The one area over looked is morale at the German higher commands, my big secret.

Just high morale commanders over time can be big. OKH and the AG's. A few extra % for each roll adds up quickly + If you have a good Corp Morale leader look out.

lowtech -> RE: 1.08 Changes and Thoughts (5/16/2015 8:01:12 AM)

That makes sense but how do you handle the CP overload? I don't have the numbers but AGS is like well over 25% in excess what with the two Romanian Armies etc.

Transferring the Rear Area units to OKW doesn't really make that much of a difference. Transferring the Romanians to the Romanian High Command? that's 48 CPs per Army though.

dontra85 -> RE: 1.08 Changes and Thoughts (5/16/2015 11:07:42 PM)

FBD5 appears to missing. Has anyone played long enough to see how this effects rail repair and ultimately axis supply

Peltonx -> RE: 1.08 Changes and Thoughts (5/17/2015 12:37:13 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: dontra85

FBD5 appears to missing. Has anyone played long enough to see how this effects rail repair and ultimately axis supply

It doesn't you just have to work around it.

lowtech -> RE: 1.08 Changes and Thoughts (5/17/2015 8:21:47 AM)

I think it makes it much more realistic in the South. The whole Axis rail repair effort, especially bridge repair was radically screwed up.

zulu354 -> RE: 1.08 Changes and Thoughts (6/5/2015 12:07:23 PM)

I have there a small question. After updating to 1.08 I recognized a new statistic value in the Lost Unit Screens. I didn't mention it before. It's right under the lost count of AFV. In my German localization it's called SF & PSW. So, what units count in this point?

Regards
zulu

Denniss -> RE: 1.08 Changes and Thoughts (6/5/2015 7:22:45 PM)

Self-propelled vehicles (SP Flak/Artillery etc) and armored cars, morvael should have an extensive list.

mrchuck -> RE: 1.08 Changes and Thoughts--longish (6/15/2015 12:29:37 PM)

I've been playing this game pretty much since it came out, though I've never played against another human. I was seriously considering doing so in the last couple of weeks, but everything I read even since 1.08 is deeply discouraging. It seems that the game is still being gamed lustily, and that if you have time and patience to crunch all the numbers you can pretty much sew it up without thinking too hard. Sorry, I do that all day at work, not going to do it for fun as well.

I would have to say Pelton seems to be a prime example but everyone involved in P2P has to be like this or you don't succeed. And I don't really blame anyone for doing what is rational under the game system provided. But the system--and I think, primarily the morale system--is deeply flawed. What is being modelled is fair enough, whether you call it proficiency or morale or doctrine ir whatever. The way it's being done is all wrong.

Let us assume there is no controversy at all that German morale (proficiency/whatever) started high relative to Soviet, and the latter increased as the former stayed static or declined. Thus during Operation Bagration in 44 the Russians pretty much repaid Germany in the same coin as Barbarossa three years before, and there is plenty of other proof. By the same taken, some German units could still deal nastyish if small-scale surprises to the Russians even near the bitter end. But what factors contributed to this?

In the game, the steady march of national morale in whichever direction, by fixed tables, plus 'farming' and other gambits.

In reality, something quite different--perhaps a combination of casualties (loss of experienced personnel), success or failure on the battlefield, territory won or lost and cities defended or taken, as well as the things that are being included like commanders and win/loss.

I have always been mystified by the lack of morale effects due to major cities and territory changing hands. Whether or not you believe the loss of Leningrad or Moscow or both would have led to the collapse of the USSR, it is hard to imagine that it wouldn't have been noticed by the world at large, the home front, and the troops in the field. Even a couple of morale points would be reasonable as well as the VPs for these objectives changing hands. This would give players more compelling reasons to attack or defend them. At the moment one hex is more or less the same as any other--if the VPs it represents don't cost you the game, it don't matter much.

Therefore...

Suggestion #1: the players be required to allocate morale points, say 5, DURING GAME SETUP, in secret, to some major objectives, with time limits, and again every year. This could be automatic for the Germans in 1941 (or not, could be a setup option)--Leningrad 1, Moscow 2, Kiev 2, by the end of November. For the Russians, the AI or player can decide and some limitations would need to be placed e.g. cities reasonably within reach--not the ones on the east mapedge! So the Russian player would have to make up his (her? any women here?) mind to defend something under feasible threat as desperately as possible.

If the player does not make the annual objectives, those points come off the National Morale. If the player holds/takes them, National Morale goes up. So for taking Kiev but not Moscow or Leningrad, German morale drops a net of one. Assuming the same allocation by the Russians, their morale goes up one. With another allocation, different result. Perhaps less points for holding something you already have, than taking something you don't.

For 1942, the Germans allocate 5 to Stalingrad, and so does Uncle Joe in hopes of a big win and a prosperous '43...you see what I'm getting at. Also, potentially every game would be different depending on what strategy the players decide on, and are obliged to commit themselves to. If you bet wrong what the other side are aiming at...bad juju!

This would require players to deduce what the oponent is up to, not just what the game engine will reward. And while morale remains just one factor in determining victory, success or failure in meeting objectives set becomes relevant. It has the advantage that the players themselves decide what is important and what isn't.

Suggestion #2: tie national morale to casualties somehow. As against the morale boost above, the Russians also had to contend with the appalling casualties sustained in 1941. So while overall their morale improves, at the unit level, not much change perhaps, and many good commanders were killed or captured as well. In addition to the above net effects, German efficiency is mostly unimpaired in the Panzer units, but less in infantry units bled and frostbitten over winter. At the moment I believe it's only win/loss (I could be wrong) and this isn't enough. It's not about the passage of time, but about the effusion of blood.

This would perhaps have the effect of restraining the more ruthless Russian commanders, and make the Germans more mindful that the more men are lost, the harder they are to replace. By 1943, not only was manpower short, it was declining in quality for the Germans. But this didn't happen by magic--it was the loss of around 1.5m casualties up to that point. It would oblige the players to attempt to inflict large casualties on the enemy--e.g. by cutting off the Kursk salient and all the troops within. It also makes reckless attack or defence have other costs. More factors to weigh...less game engine to exploit.

Suggestion #3: tie national morale to territory won and lost--much more so for the Germans than the Russians, for whom 'space-for-time' is a tradition. Even so, by 1942 there wasn't much useful space left. This would tend to simulate the Hitler factor--sure, Manstein can give up the Donbas for operational reasons, but such movements are not 'free' and Hitler knew this. This should not be a massive factor either way, but it should be modelled. I would not for an instant advocate any kind of stand-fast rule, but the perfectly rational reasons for tending towards such a policy are being blithely ignored.

Suggestion #4: reduce Axis Ally morale more by how far East they go. To paraphrase Alan Clark, Rumanian troops fought well enough when kicking the Russians out of Besserabia, but didn't see what business they had on the middle Don.
This nonsense of 'morale farming' the Axis Allies must end. Also I would reduce the Finns more once they're outside the territory they sought to reoccupy, though they should remain fairly effective. But taking over half of AGN's front? Perhaps not...at the moment, this is probably an unrealistically good incentive for the Germans to try Leningrad.

Suggestion #5: Change routing, zones of control, surrender etc. I was very surprised to see routing units in V1.0 and still am. Surely this is an artifact of a Napoleonic or Civil War simulation? I've read and re-read the justifications for this and I still don't buy it, especially when the 'shatter' combat result is still there (all the way from War in Russia??) and seems to me to do all that is required. Either a unit is smashed down to a cadre and has to be reformed, or it isn't. I find the spectacle of displacing, routed units extremely irritating and frankly I don't see the point.

Furthermore all you have to do to turn a rout into a surrender at least in the early game is cut the supply line. And you can do it with units three hexes apart or a simulated operational density of one division every thirty miles. I'm pretty sure that this isn't enough to guarantee no one will slip through. It works out to one man every four metres or so, assuming all are combatants and one single line, neither of which would be the case.

So #5 is in three parts:
1. Measure ZOC strength in a hex, not just its existence. The more units, and the more mot/arm units in particular, the stronger the ZOC. There would still be incentive for double or triple encircelements--more ZOC strength. But it would certainly make the Lvov manouevre less attractive.
2. Remove rout and vary the amount of manpower going back to the pool based on the ZOC strength between the shattered unit and supply.
3. Alternatively, replace rout with 'Retreat/Dislocate'. The R/D'd unit retreats as normal but has a nominal combat value in that hex (until the next player turn, if it survives). Nevertheless the attacker is still obliged to expend movement points on a hasty attack, which will succeed, to make it move again. The R/D unit takes more casualties but there is delay. It may shatter, R/D again, or perhaps even rally, but not rout, please. That has no place in a WW2 game unless you're in the Western Desert fighting Italians. And even then. I have my doubts, since they were more likely to simply give up.

There are some other things that have annoyed me from the start as well:
RR units--remove the need to deselect units they're moving through. This is just plain annoying.
Garrison requirements: need a tool tip suggesting the strength of garrison required. Trying to figure it out by moving various regiments, divisions, security units etc. etc until you come up with the right amount is also just plain annoying. I have staff for that...don't I? I don't know what the relative populations of the Russian cities were in 1941, and frankly I don't care. Furthermore, it should be affected by morale so that just chucking axis allies at the problem isn't the magic bullet it is now. They were crap at controlling partisans as well, for the most part.
Air ranges: being able to show fighter, bomber and util (trans/recon) ranges from an airbase might be real handy. Again, staffs on the ground would have had this stuff at their fingertips. Count hexes? No thanks.

I realise full well that much the above would require changes to the engine and most likely won't happen. However, it's got to the point where I feel that Wite has lost its way and I really don't want to face a human playing it since I just don't have time to fully wreck, er, understand the game, and the sometimes incomprehensible design decisions it contains.

MrChuck

swkuh -> RE: 1.08 Changes and Thoughts--longish (6/15/2015 2:18:00 PM)

MrChuck, you've got some good ideas there, so I've referred them to my team of ace programmers (all 958 of them.) Don't hold your breath, though.

For Eastern Front fans, if not WitE, then what?

Game is much improved since 1st release and sometime v2.0 might show up. Suspect it may be GG's posthumous release.

Aurelian -> RE: 1.08 Changes and Thoughts--longish (6/15/2015 2:26:48 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: mrchuck

I've been playing this game pretty much since it came out, though I've never played against another human. I was seriously considering doing so in the last couple of weeks, but everything I read even since 1.08 is deeply discouraging. It seems that the game is still being gamed lustily, and that if you have time and patience to crunch all the numbers you can pretty much sew it up without thinking too hard. Sorry, I do that all day at work, not going to do it for fun as well.

That's why there are only a select one, maybe two, people that I'll play against.(Like my last WiTE opponent.) They don't game the system. Nor do they setup house rules that favor them.

Prime example is Civil War II. One or two decided that they would put *everything* in the east. So the other guy would have to do the same thing. Not very historical. Beyond the realm of possibility that Lincoln or Davis even thought of doing that. All it does is break the game. Not much fun. But I guess if all you care about is winning......

Just can't imagine a WiTP-AE player doing that.

Aurelian -> RE: 1.08 Changes and Thoughts--longish (6/15/2015 2:29:47 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: rrbill

Game is much improved since 1st release and sometime v2.0 might show up. Suspect it may be GG's posthumous release.

War in Europe may lay claim to that one.

Icier -> RE: 1.08 Changes and Thoughts--longish (6/16/2015 2:04:30 AM)

We have just called quits on turn 31 for 41-45 game version 1.08.03. The reason being,neither my Russian opponent nor I could believe
the number of Russian units he could build. In fact he stopped building units as he stated it became boring...he sent me his pass word
for me to check out. I can email it to you if you wish to look at.

mrchuck -> RE: 1.08 Changes and Thoughts--longish (6/16/2015 2:14:19 AM)

I agree that WITE is the gold standard for eastern front computer games at the moment--but that doesn't stop me wondering how it could be even better.

What dismays me the most is that Wite doesn't seem to have so much simulated the war in the east, as the old S&T War in the East (yes the paper and cardboard one) which had CRTs that changed with the passing years (same as national morale and for the same reason) and where unrealistic checkerboard-type defences also evolved as the strongest Russian tactic, which is simply an artifact of having a hex grid and fixed ZOCs.

There needs to be more uncertainty built in, both at the strategic level--hence my idea for user-defined objectives--and at the tactical level, to overcome the god-like view the players have, which no one individual in the real thing could possibly have had. One other possible change I thought of is to modify the 'allowed move' trail to deliberately not take into account unspotted units. I don't think allowed movement should be removed--after all, staffs routinely make operational plans of exactly this type. But the ability to do reconnaissance with it should be.

At the moment my understanding is that it faithfully calculates the movement effects even of things you haven't seen--which undercuts FOW quite a bit. Movement points expended could be appended with or replaced by '?', or colour-coded with the level of confidence, making short-distance operations 'known knowns' and large strategic motions much more uncertain. For instance 'green' movements could be up to 90% probability, 'yellow' 50-90%, and 'red' movements anything less. The further you want to go, the more risk you won't actually get there. These probabilities could also be affected by Admin and Initiative ratings in an HQ, as well as spotting levels, to reflect commander skill and 'fingerspitzengefuhl'.

MrChuck

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI