RE: Harpoon II Official Strategy Guide (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series

Mgellis -> RE: Harpoon II Official Strategy Guide (6/6/2015 3:15:17 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Noldofinwe

I would also want to add that as a new player the game is quite difficult to get into. There are 3 tutorial missions, and I know some scenario's are more manageable than others, but something that would help to get into the game would be a string of scenarios or a campaign if you will that teaches the gameplay and that adds context to the individual scenarios. That might also help attract new players for who the learning curve might be to steep otherwise.

Look, I'm dancing as fast as I can, okay? [:)]

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3871560

JRyan -> RE: Harpoon II Official Strategy Guide (6/6/2015 3:49:09 AM)

Well I got to thinking, I guess we would have to add this one to the mix...actually also a VERY good BOOK>

[image]http://www.wiki.computerharpoon.com/images/9/9f/Harpoon_BattleBook.jpg[/image]

A history I did up a while back....was quite good at the time..

Harpoon History

Still to this day I feel blessed to actually have a hard copy of this.....[&o]

Res 502

[image]http://www.wiki.computerharpoon.com/images/f/f9/Harpoon_Resoution_502_1983.JPG[/image]

Mgellis -> RE: Harpoon II Official Strategy Guide (6/6/2015 5:28:10 PM)

Anyone know how to get a copy of this? I'm guessing it is out of print. Is there a .pdf available? (I actually have the Ultimate Edition Harpoon DVD...any chance it is buried in there somewhere with all the other goodies?)

quote:

ORIGINAL: JRyan

Well I got to thinking, I guess we would have to add this one to the mix...actually also a VERY good BOOK>

[image]http://www.wiki.computerharpoon.com/images/9/9f/Harpoon_BattleBook.jpg[/image]

AlmightyTallest -> RE: Harpoon II Official Strategy Guide (6/6/2015 5:38:26 PM)

Amazon is your friend. :D

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/1559581271/ref=tmm_pap_used_olp_sr?ie=UTF8&condition=used&sr=&qid=

thewood1 -> RE: Harpoon II Official Strategy Guide (6/6/2015 5:56:08 PM)

I have a copy, but hard copy.

JRyan -> RE: Harpoon II Official Strategy Guide (6/6/2015 8:26:41 PM)

Its not on the DVD. I tried to get some numbers etc and Larry was helpful but it just got to be a chore that was no longer worth pursuing. I will however say, if the H2 Guide is being done in PDF then I am sure this one could also but I am not sure about copyright etc.

The best way in my humble opinion is to look on eBay for a Challenger pack edition of Harpoon, it comes with it. I won mine on Bids though....

[image]http://www.hitrepeat.com/imagehost/KQPI4511KQKQPI4511KQ.jpg[/image]

I tried to get every version before Ultimate edition came out.

pandoraefretum -> RE: Harpoon II Official Strategy Guide (6/7/2015 10:43:18 AM)

Well I'm not sure about copyright etc. either... I'm scanning it to convert into an ebook to take with me on holiday this Summer. Plus, I doubt anyone will have the patience to wait for and download every page I scan.

JRyan -> RE: Harpoon II Official Strategy Guide (6/8/2015 3:18:11 AM)

I am not worried about it, it is LONG out of print, and will never be reprinted.

TheCabal -> RE: Harpoon II Official Strategy Guide (11/27/2018 8:17:11 PM)

Any chance the Battlebook as well as the Harpoon 2 Official Strategy Guide gets virtual?

I own the Harpoon Ultimate Edition. Lot's of manuals and I don't have a clue if the "Battlebook" and/or "Harpoon 2 Official Guide" is in them or not.
I tried looking for these two but no chance. Google is full of fake-gargabe-sites.

TheOttoman -> RE: Harpoon II Official Strategy Guide (11/27/2018 9:22:15 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: pandoraefretum

Well I'm not sure about copyright etc. either... I'm scanning it to convert into an ebook to take with me on holiday this Summer. Plus, I doubt anyone will have the patience to wait for and download every page I scan.

have you looked into http://1dollarscan.com/

They will scan the book for you and turn it into a nice searchable PDF

stilesw -> RE: Harpoon II Official Strategy Guide (11/27/2018 9:24:39 PM)

You might try eBay. I've found lots there.

[image]local://upfiles/49187/1042D7997A3A4141ADB4969FEFBBF8FF.jpg[/image]

mikkey -> RE: Harpoon II Official Strategy Guide (11/27/2018 10:10:49 PM)

Nice collection stilesw

stilesw -> RE: Harpoon II Official Strategy Guide (11/27/2018 10:38:27 PM)

mikkey,

Thanks. Started with the release of the original Harpoon I (DOS based v1.0) back in 1989. Actually have a Windows 95/MS DOS 6.22 system, with 5.25" floppy drive, that it still plays on. I kept getting the updates and spinoffs after that. Hadn't heard about any new Harpoon stuff for a while so I went searching online about 2013 and that's when I discovered CMANO which turned out to be a superb, far more advanced, successor. I can't begin to compute the number of hours I've played both simulations!

-Wayne

DavidRob0 -> RE: Harpoon II Official Strategy Guide (11/28/2018 7:40:40 AM)

There seems to be a lot of attention given here to how naval strategy and tactics would/should work within CMANO.

As I recall the H4 strategy manual it was mainly about naval strategy, not as it applied directly within H4.

If anyone is looking for a general naval tactics guide then "Fleet Tactics - theory and practice" by Capt Wayne P Hughes is an excellent text and a good introduction. It's available from the US Naval Institute bookshop, and probably elsewhere as well (e.g. Amazon).

To relate that theory to the practical aspects of the game, then I agree the devs and an experienced ex- (or current) naval practitioner might collaborate on such a guide. We would need to bear in mind however that CMANO covers a large time frame, and tactics will vary over that time with weapons and sensors development.

britten -> RE: Harpoon II Official Strategy Guide (11/29/2018 9:26:01 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: stilesw

You might try eBay. I've found lots there.

[image]local://upfiles/49187/1042D7997A3A4141ADB4969FEFBBF8FF.jpg[/image]

This is a lovely collection! Probably you could start collecting boardgame items as well [:)]

stilesw -> RE: Harpoon II Official Strategy Guide (11/29/2018 1:38:40 PM)

britten,

Not a bad idea but, sadly, I never really had an opportunity to get into the military boardgame world. I did have a fair amount of D&D "table top" gaming and greatly enjoyed that. Also, there is the matter of space! Already have two walls of shelves with gaming software!

-Wayne

[image]local://upfiles/49187/46F1C687C2A546D3BC1F3106314FBC1D.jpg[/image]

TheCabal -> RE: Harpoon II Official Strategy Guide (8/19/2019 8:39:22 PM)

Any updates reg. the scanning progress? :)

britten -> RE: Harpoon II Official Strategy Guide (9/5/2019 10:42:39 AM)

I just sent email to Roland. Hopefully he's still with us on this board.

britten -> RE: Harpoon II Official Strategy Guide (9/6/2019 7:05:20 AM)

The OP is asking how many people are potentially still interested in having a complete book scanned. If somebody still wants that, can you indicate this here?

I'm interested and TheCabal as well. Anyone else?

Galahad78 -> RE: Harpoon II Official Strategy Guide (9/6/2019 7:10:20 AM)

I am interested, of course [&o]

Sigma8510 -> RE: Harpoon II Official Strategy Guide (9/6/2019 12:28:33 PM)

I am as well. Please and Thank You!

brdxman -> RE: Harpoon II Official Strategy Guide (9/6/2019 4:23:48 PM)

I'm interested! Please and Thank You!

TheCabal -> RE: Harpoon II Official Strategy Guide (9/16/2019 5:40:05 PM)

Any updates? =)

stilesw -> RE: Harpoon II Official Strategy Guide (9/16/2019 6:04:03 PM)

quote:

Harpoon II Official Strategy Guide

It seems that there may be some available as reported here: https://www.findbookprices.com/isbn/9781559584579/

-WS

britten -> RE: Harpoon II Official Strategy Guide (9/17/2019 5:03:47 PM)

The OP is back in action. Some additional pages were added today.[&o]

Galahad78 -> RE: Harpoon II Official Strategy Guide (9/18/2019 2:26:22 PM)

[&o][&o]

Stonedog -> RE: Harpoon II Official Strategy Guide (9/21/2019 1:30:05 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: thewood1

I think the real issue is people not taking advantage of what is already available. There are great official and community resources available. They are not prominently displayed on the forum, but even a little searching will get most of what you want. This game is not one you can stroll into and have everything handed to you.

This is spot on accurate ! I stay mostly on the Steam Forums for CMANO because of this reason. When a new player does post, it is almost always something that can be easily found , but people are either unwilling, or unaware of the tools and info available to them . A fast search reveals almost all of them , yet people seem adverse to the idea for some reason, when usually its far easier, faster, and less typing to do so.

I actually created a Steam Guide (Really is just a short URL list ) with embedded links to This site , Baloogans Half Life , and Nimrodx guide links , The manual ,FAQ , Addendum etc....for easily finding these resources and getting them used to the ideas of using them. If players spend all the time they have posting their questions they would never have any to play, much less those that answer them as well .

So far it seems to be working pretty well as most of the time any follow up questions are often something thats very in-depth and complex requiring a much more detailed answer and actual game play knowledge.

i224747 -> RE: Harpoon II Official Strategy Guide (9/24/2019 5:13:40 AM)

Thx for adding more pages to the H2-Guide.

britten -> RE: Harpoon II Official Strategy Guide (10/1/2019 10:24:42 AM)

It seems we're stuck on page 180 for now. If anyone cares about for the rest of this book he probably should contact (and motivate) OP by the email assigned to his forum account.

erichswafford -> RE: Harpoon II Official Strategy Guide (10/4/2019 4:38:40 AM)

I still have my hardcopy from the 90's. Good reading.

Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI