VCR problem (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns

Gallo Rojo -> VCR problem (4/11/2001 2:24:00 AM)

It’s simply not working. :( Although there was some shots between my forces and my partner ones, VCR doesn’t show any thing. Even more: GREEN LIGHT that you have to click to view VCR appears in RED :confused: Do any of you have an idea about what could be working wrong? My partner has the same problem in this particular game. Before you ask: yes, we were sending each other all necessary files (xx.dat, xx.cmt, xx.aux and xx.rec) Tanks in advance.

Paul Vebber -> (4/11/2001 3:16:00 AM)

Which version of the game are you using?

Gallo Rojo -> (4/11/2001 3:32:00 AM)

quote:

Originally posted by Paul Vebber: Which version of the game are you using?
4.5 Paul.

Rhodan -> (4/11/2001 10:12:00 AM)

I might add that I also have problems with VCR, mostly messages telling me that I don't have enough memory for VCR. I have 128 MB...that HURT :P Rho

ectizen -> (4/11/2001 11:46:00 AM)

I've had the "not enough memory" messages with 256MB. Although I think it's only happened when I've been testing ideas: starting a scenario, playing a turn or two, quitting the battle, starting another scenario, playing 1 or 2 turns, quitting, starting again, etc... It feels like memory fragmentation - perhaps SP is allocating a large chunk of memory at startup and using pieces of this chunk as required. After a lot of stops and starts, the available pieces might be too small to use. I could imagine this happening if you play a turn from a bunch of different PBEMs in one sitting. I don't know if this is the problem, but if it is, then completely exiting and restarting SP:WAW (the game, not the battle) every once in a while should help. Maybe after 2 or 3 different battles. I'll finish this message with the warning that I haven't actually tried this, and I'm probably basing all of this on some flaky reasoning. But the way I look at it is: it might help, and it can't hurt. :)

Gallo Rojo -> (4/12/2001 12:50:00 AM)

It's working OK now... and without have done anything ... Can you believe it? :confused: but :D

David F. Wall -> (4/12/2001 3:46:00 AM)

Let me suggest the following: In these days of burgeoning broadband, people frequently leave their systems booted for days on end. Or maybe you never shut your computer off just because. Or whatever. Windows 95, 98, and all derivatives thereof do not have the infrastructure required for demanding operations over these time frames without reboot. Windows NT 4.0 with the later service packs are measurably better. Windows 2000 provides another level of improvement. SP:WAW 4.5 is an application that puts demands on the system, and if you run a couple of others, particularly if they're memory-hungry, you can begin to get fragmentation of memory, page file space, or you might have something with a slow memory leak running on the system. This is a hideous way to have to deal with a consumer product, but it is a fact. So if you're having a problem like this, my first suggestion is that you reboot your system (don't just log out, REBOOT) and try again and see if things are better. Remember, when applications request resources like memory, they have to believe what the operating system tells them. The trouble is, the quality of the operating system's information degenerates in this case. DFW

Behemoth -> (4/12/2001 6:13:00 AM)

I had the same problem right after I DLed a new Campaign, I thought that was maybe the problem. I ran norton optimizer(or whatever it's called) defraged and rearranged my swap file and *poof* no more problem. Never had this problem before though, so if it comes back I'll just take back advice. I was playing wild bill's 88 Rommel camp. by the way. Hope this helps. -B

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI