Getting old : tired eyes (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition

patrickl -> Getting old : tired eyes (6/17/2015 2:03:36 AM)

Arggh, getting old and eyes are tired. Getting more shortsighted and have astigmatism. Love AE but may have to really cut back on the hours. How do you cope? I am 54.

Bullwinkle58 -> RE: Getting old : tired eyes (6/17/2015 2:18:10 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: patrickl

Arggh, getting old and eyes are tired. Getting more shortsighted and have astigmatism. Love AE but may have to really cut back on the hours. How do you cope? I am 54.

I'm older. Do shorter turns. [8D]

jwolf -> RE: Getting old : tired eyes (6/17/2015 2:21:43 AM)

Hire a general staff. Dictate orders to them. Maybe you could draft your wife and kids for this purpose. [:D]

btd64 -> RE: Getting old : tired eyes (6/17/2015 2:45:43 AM)

Try -altFont in your command line. It increases the font a little. I have had bad eyes for years. It helps some. The above suggestions help too. A little....GP

dr.hal -> RE: Getting old : tired eyes (6/17/2015 3:01:58 AM)

You're a young pup! I've a decade on you and still going strong.... what was it we were talking about????

jamesjohns -> RE: Getting old : tired eyes (6/17/2015 3:09:18 AM)

I sometimes use my flat panel tv as a monitor for my computer, works well and much easier to see than laptop screen.

JocMeister -> RE: Getting old : tired eyes (6/17/2015 6:11:11 AM)

Get a big 120 Hz screen!

Leandros -> RE: Getting old : tired eyes (6/17/2015 6:52:59 AM)

See to have your glasses updated. Particularly important if you are astigmatic. It Changes all the time. Good luck!

Fred

P.S.: Soon your nearsightedness shall start going back.

oaltinyay -> RE: Getting old : tired eyes (6/17/2015 7:55:58 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: jwolf

Hire a general staff. Dictate orders to them. Maybe you could draft your wife and kids for this purpose. [:D]

tried doing that , she didnt even think it was funny...

tried also my daughter but she wont play anything unless the game has 'pinkie pie' or 'twilight sparkle' in it. However, she did advise using 'godzilla' against japan.

Major Shane -> RE: Getting old : tired eyes (6/17/2015 9:10:44 AM)

What is the command for alt font? How do I make the change?

Lowpe -> RE: Getting old : tired eyes (6/17/2015 11:56:53 AM)

-altFont

patrickl -> RE: Getting old : tired eyes (6/17/2015 2:19:10 PM)

Thanks guys for your posts. A bigger screen seems promising. I have to have limit playing AE in the evening. [:(]

pontiouspilot -> RE: Getting old : tired eyes (6/17/2015 3:13:32 PM)

Do try the font change...it is much cheaper than laser surgery.

HansBolter -> RE: Getting old : tired eyes (6/17/2015 3:16:29 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lowpe

-altFont

In case you don't know this gets added (with a space before it) to the command executable line in the properties of your desktop shortcut.

Been severely myopic with a severe astigmatism (6.5 diopters in left eye, 7.5 diopters in right eye), discovered at the age of 10 since birth.

20/180 vision in left eye 20/240 in right eye. What I see without spectacles in my right eye is legally blind with spectacles in the US.

I run the game at a low resolution to make objects larger and use the altfont switch (sans serif is way easier to read) and I spend almost every spare minute at home playing AE.

Oh yea, and next Monday I will be four years older than the OP.

All I have to say is "Suck it Up and Soldier On!"

Shark7 -> RE: Getting old : tired eyes (6/17/2015 3:46:43 PM)

Might also help if you occasionally just close your eyes for a few minutes and give them a rest.

I have also been known to get up from the computer and just take a quick walk through the house every 30 minutes or so (my legs tend to ache if I sit in one place too long). That also helps with the tired eyes.

Symon -> RE: Getting old : tired eyes (6/17/2015 4:07:36 PM)

quote:

Me too; nearsighted with astigmatism. I now have glasses with an opthalmic coating that cuts transmission of high energy blue wavelengths. The difference is remarkable. I can work for long periods without eye fatigue. I am 67.

[ed] I'm forcing all my employees, with glasses, to get this. It's not at all expensive as an adder for new glasses (maybe $30-$40), but I'm paying the freight for all new eyewear just for the protection. I'm also getting optical quality blanks, with the coating, for everybody else who doesn't ordinarily wear glasses. This is really good stuff.

Ciao. JWE

JockJimmy -> RE: Getting old : tired eyes (6/17/2015 6:21:13 PM)

There was once a happy time when I didn't know who "Twilight Sparkle" is. [8|]

sventhebold -> RE: Getting old : tired eyes (6/17/2015 7:24:27 PM)

Symon Tell me more. I have astigmatism(bad) and just had an eye exam. I always get the coating for scratches(still crap) and the darkening lenses(white snow). What else do you recommend and who do you buy your glasses from? I bought just the lenses last time around and it was still 700 bucks and STILL had double vision. The eyeware company told me i was at the edge of correctable vision.

Schanilec -> RE: Getting old : tired eyes (6/17/2015 9:55:36 PM)

Gads, my eyes starting going about five years ago. Now using grocery store bought reading glasses. I may need to go in and see and eye doctor. Haven't seen one since I was 12 yrs old. I'm 56 1/2 yrs now. Just close up gets me. But out deer hunting I can spot deer laying down in a field or shelter belt up to a 3/4 mile away. Go figure.

Maybe with us poor bastards, we should start a 'Sick Bay' thread. Similar to the movie 'Mister Roberts' "Two aspiren, marked for duty. Here I'll take one with you".[:D]

pws1225 -> RE: Getting old : tired eyes (6/18/2015 12:38:58 AM)

Being 13 years your senior, I suggest not giving a damn. It may not do much for your eye sight, but will vastly improve your life style.

pontiouspilot -> RE: Getting old : tired eyes (6/18/2015 12:49:33 AM)

Just all remember the words of wisdom from when you were young: "If you don't stop it you will go blind"!!! Funny how this pack of wankers are all blind.

I had a very happy result from laser surgery....a binocular solution so that 1 eye is for reading and 1 eye is for distance. I no longer use any glasses except when driving at night to correct the 1 eye. And no, I do not look like Don Knots now!!

crsutton -> RE: Getting old : tired eyes (6/18/2015 1:09:30 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Symon

quote:

Me too; nearsighted with astigmatism. I now have glasses with an opthalmic coating that cuts transmission of high energy blue wavelengths. The difference is remarkable. I can work for long periods without eye fatigue. I am 67.

[ed] I'm forcing all my employees, with glasses, to get this. It's not at all expensive as an adder for new glasses (maybe $30-$40), but I'm paying the freight for all new eyewear just for the protection. I'm also getting optical quality blanks, with the coating, for everybody else who doesn't ordinarily wear glasses. This is really good stuff.

Ciao. JWE

Think I am going to look into this.

Chris21wen -> RE: Getting old : tired eyes (6/18/2015 8:06:49 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: dr.hal

You're a young pup! I've a decade on you and still going strong.... what was it we were talking about????

As are you, I'm 70, Using the Alt font I don't have too much trouble but that's on a 23". When it gets to less than 17" I do or like you I think I do..

Symon -> RE: Getting old : tired eyes (6/18/2015 2:09:40 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: sventhebold
Symon Tell me more. I have astigmatism(bad) and just had an eye exam. I always get the coating for scratches(still crap) and the darkening lenses(white snow). What else do you recommend and who do you buy your glasses from? I bought just the lenses last time around and it was still 700 bucks and STILL had double vision. The eyeware company told me i was at the edge of correctable vision.

You should move to Alabama. I use Eastern Shore Eye Care. A complete exam, dilation and all, along with new bifocal lenses for my old frames was $375 total. They are a full service Hoya dealer, so the lenses come from a Hoya fabrication lab. The blue is just a UV/AR coating with some stuff in it to cut more of the 480-430nm above the uv. Hoya calls theirs BluTech. Same as SeeCoat Blue from Nikon. My astig isn't all that bad, but if you have astig I think it's just as important to get 'top of the line' lenses, as to get a full-boogie eye exam.

ps. my new prescription and lenses passed the star test. Went out at night and looked at the stars; all were crisp, clean point sources, even the 5th magnitude stuff. No doubling, bleeding, blurring, smudging. Did I mention that I'm very pleased with the results? [8D]

John

sventhebold -> RE: Getting old : tired eyes (6/18/2015 3:05:47 PM)

Symon Thanks for the info![:)]

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI