2by3 to publish Steel Tigers (Full Version)

All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion

marcpennington -> 2by3 to publish Steel Tigers (6/23/2015 5:00:53 PM)

http://www.wargamer.com/Article/10196

OK, given a spiritual sequel to Steel Panthers is announced, how has this forum not melted down yet? :)

Jeffrey H. -> RE: 2by3 to publish Steel Tigers (6/23/2015 6:18:43 PM)

Well, it's interesting news, but rather skimpy on detail. And I think the author is paraphrasing the whole "spiritual successor" part.

Max 86 -> RE: 2by3 to publish Steel Tigers (6/23/2015 6:49:15 PM)

No details on 2x3's website either.

TheGreatRadish -> RE: 2by3 to publish Steel Tigers (6/23/2015 6:59:41 PM)

Battle Academy discontinued? That's pretty big news right there and disappointing.

Zap -> RE: 2by3 to publish Steel Tigers (6/23/2015 7:04:13 PM)

saying "looking for a spiritual successor" I put emphasis on the word looking. All it means that there is nothing in the works.But only a thought about making one. So far nothing indicates they are going to change plans. It was projected something may come down the road in 7 years.

Its my contention a miscalculation was made years ago when Osfront was made as a successor to SPWAW instead of updating and improving SPWAW.

marcpennington -> RE: 2by3 to publish Steel Tigers (6/23/2015 7:07:40 PM)

The article says Steel Tigers will be the "first game" using the the new Archon engine, so that certainly sounds more imminent than 7 years.

And I just can't imagine Grigsby and company publishing a game with "Steel" and the name of a tank in the title and it being anything other than what we've been long waiting for.

wodin -> RE: 2by3 to publish Steel Tigers (6/23/2015 7:21:16 PM)

Need more info before I get excited.

E -> RE: 2by3 to publish Steel Tigers (6/23/2015 7:30:20 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: map66
OK, given a spiritual sequel to Steel Panthers is announced, how has this forum not melted down yet?

Of course Steel Panthers was the "spiritual sequel" to Panzer Strike and Typhoon of Steel.

[image]local://upfiles/26541/B3A94C8FB7A14A55B1D62B59939A10FA.gif[/image]

Erik Rutins -> RE: 2by3 to publish Steel Tigers (6/23/2015 9:12:02 PM)

Steel Tigers is what you have all been waiting for, no more details for now, but when we can share we will. [8D]

shunwick -> RE: 2by3 to publish Steel Tigers (6/23/2015 9:19:50 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

Steel Tigers is what you have all been waiting for, no more details for now, but when we can share we will. [8D]

[&o][&o][&o][&o][&o][&o][&o][&o][&o][&o][&o][&o][&o][&o][&o][&o][&o][&o][&o]

Best wishes,
Steve

shunwick -> RE: 2by3 to publish Steel Tigers (6/23/2015 9:22:09 PM)

Now,

About Age of Rifles....

Best wishes,
Steve

marcpennington -> RE: 2by3 to publish Steel Tigers (6/23/2015 10:31:36 PM)

Everyone just take a deep long breath. :)

rickier65 -> RE: 2by3 to publish Steel Tigers (6/23/2015 10:32:38 PM)

quote:

Excellent. Looking forward to this.

Thanks
Rick

milkweg -> RE: 2by3 to publish Steel Tigers (6/24/2015 12:14:50 AM)

Hopefully it won't cost $100.00+ like their other games do.

aaatoysandmore -> RE: 2by3 to publish Steel Tigers (6/24/2015 12:42:43 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: TheGreatRadish

Battle Academy discontinued? That's pretty big news right there and disappointing.

WHAT?? after I invested money in it and all.[X(]

aaatoysandmore -> RE: 2by3 to publish Steel Tigers (6/24/2015 12:43:34 AM)

quote:

You mean it's gonna be like SPWAW? [&o]

aaatoysandmore -> RE: 2by3 to publish Steel Tigers (6/24/2015 12:45:21 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: E

quote:

ORIGINAL: map66
OK, given a spiritual sequel to Steel Panthers is announced, how has this forum not melted down yet?

Of course Steel Panthers was the "spiritual sequel" to Panzer Strike and Typhoon of Steel.

[image]local://upfiles/26541/B3A94C8FB7A14A55B1D62B59939A10FA.gif[/image]

quote:

Hopefully it won't cost $100.00+ like their other games do.

Loved those two games on the commodore 64. So Steel Panthers will be like them? They are pretty close to SPWAW.

Is great news. I guess I can quit spamming that one thead on the front page now. Trying to get your attention. [:D] If it is the spiritual successor to SPWAW I and I'm sure many more will be grateful (Psst make sure it has 3d icons) [:'(]

jomni -> RE: 2by3 to publish Steel Tigers (6/24/2015 1:20:46 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: aaatoysandmore

quote:

WHAT?? after I invested money in it and all.[X(]

Well you can still keep playing those games. Just that there won't be anymore expansions and new features. I also wish some 3rd party dev would pick it up and continue development. The engine has been used by 3rd party devs for Pike and Shot (my favorite) and Hell anyway.

I'm quite saddened by this news because the engine has great moddability and multiplayer is a blast.

moet -> RE: 2by3 to publish Steel Tigers (6/24/2015 2:22:08 AM)

quote:

I understand that the actual series won't be developed anymore by Slitherine staff, but they could mandate one of their partners to expand a series like BA. Why not?

Fallschirmjager -> RE: 2by3 to publish Steel Tigers (6/24/2015 2:43:28 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: moet

quote:

I understand that the actual series won't be developed anymore by Slitherine staff, but they could mandate one of their partners to expand a series like BA. Why not?

Them selling the license is always a possibility. They could keep it 'in house' or sell it off altogether. BA is an IP and thus can be sold or given away to be used by one of their developers.
And both Matrix and Slitherine are both publishers now. Not terribly surprising. It is easier to handle the business and distribution side of things and let others do the development.

And Slitherine is pulling in some impressive licenses. The Games Workshop deal is probably there biggest to date.

Jugger -> RE: 2by3 to publish Steel Tigers (6/24/2015 12:36:43 PM)

[:)]I enjoyed Battle Academy but it always seemed a bit light on in regard to the subject matter/tactics/gameplay which was fine for those who enjoyed a quick fun game but unfortunately now that you have "Close Combat the Bloody First" and "Steel Tigers" due out in the not so distant future there was always going to be a casualty of perhaps too many WW2 themed games coming out. You also will probably have further additions to "Order of Battle" and "PanzerKorps"franchises which ultimately must of led to a leaning towards a decision to cease the continuation of Battle Academy. I cant wait for "Steel Tigers". Hopefully this will be the game that everyone has been waiting for! It would be interesting to know if they are going to bring out modules for different theatres which now seems to be the norm for current world war 2 gaming such as "Combat Mission", "Close Combat" and "PanzerKorps". I for one would like to see maybe a different approach and maybe follow a particular units history over the course of the war i.e a battalion in the 101st Airborne for the US or 12SS panzer division for the Germans. [&o][&o][&o][&o][&o][&o][&o]

t001001001 -> RE: 2by3 to publish Steel Tigers (6/24/2015 4:44:21 PM)

Whens the release date !!!!1111?? [:)] [img]http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/micons/m6.gif[/img][img]http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/micons/m6.gif[/img]

aaatoysandmore -> RE: 2by3 to publish Steel Tigers (6/24/2015 4:54:39 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: t001001001

Whens the release date !!!!1111?? [:)] [img]http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/micons/m6.gif[/img][img]http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/micons/m6.gif[/img]

5 to 7 years someone said I think. [:D]

Jeffrey H. -> RE: 2by3 to publish Steel Tigers (6/24/2015 6:42:31 PM)

quote:

Oooh, now we have a little bit more to expand on. Thanks Erik.

Jeffrey H. -> RE: 2by3 to publish Steel Tigers (6/24/2015 6:48:23 PM)

quote:

... If it is the spiritual successor to SPWAW I and I'm sure many more will be grateful (Psst make sure it has 3d icons) [:'(]

Ok, I'm going to risk a lot of blowback by saying this: A fully 3D version of the old top down game COULD be a huge improvement to gameplay.

<gasp>

Because the original had "implied" terrain elevations anyway to determine LOS, imaging how much better if would be to actually view the battlefield in a 3D mode.

So, chew on that !

Warhorse -> RE: 2by3 to publish Steel Tigers (6/24/2015 9:02:53 PM)

I'm excited, love that game!!

demyansk -> RE: 2by3 to publish Steel Tigers (6/24/2015 9:52:17 PM)

I loved those old style games but I hate the ageod games, I am not into that type of format, doesn't do it for me

aaatoysandmore -> RE: 2by3 to publish Steel Tigers (6/25/2015 12:16:54 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jeffrey H.

quote:

... If it is the spiritual successor to SPWAW I and I'm sure many more will be grateful (Psst make sure it has 3d icons) [:'(]

Ok, I'm going to risk a lot of blowback by saying this: A fully 3D version of the old top down game COULD be a huge improvement to gameplay.

<gasp>

Because the original had "implied" terrain elevations anyway to determine LOS, imaging how much better if would be to actually view the battlefield in a 3D mode.

So, chew on that !

Ole Jeb is gonna chew on you I'm sure. [:D] He don't want no 3d it's gonna be fun to see who wins this. [:'(]

Rainsong94 -> RE: 2by3 to publish Steel Tigers (6/25/2015 12:40:50 AM)

I thought Gary Grigsby and his team was working on WitW fixes, WitE2, and then eventually War in Europe. How do they find the time?

marcpennington -> RE: 2by3 to publish Steel Tigers (6/25/2015 12:44:38 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: FightinJoe94

I thought Gary Grigsby and his team was working on WitW fixes, WitE2, and then eventually War in Europe. How do they find the time?

I feel like I read somewhere that they said they that as they were doing those games, they were creating all the data on weapons platforms and such in a format that would be friendly to creating a follow-up to Steel Panthers. And apparently that was the bulk of the work, apart from the engine itself, which Archon appears to have resolved.

Keep in mind, please, that my memories of what they/ he (I can't even remember which one of the 2 by 3 people) said about it is foggy, and I have no clue where as well, so I could be completely wrong.

Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI