Soldier kill animations not displaying correctly (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Close Combat Series >> Close Combat - Gateway to Caen >> Tech Support

Kanov -> Soldier kill animations not displaying correctly (7/13/2015 11:37:57 PM)

Hi,

I posted this over at pitf forum long ago, but I'm still experiencing this behaviour:

When a soldier is killed sometimes there's no animation, it just goes from being aiming, firing, running or standing still or whatever to a dead sprite.

It is distracting and takes away the immersion in a way.

I fired up CC2 to confirm that dead animations display everytime and to discard I was imagining things and sure enough animations do occur everytime a soldier is killed.

Any one else experiencing this?

SteveMcClaire -> RE: Soldier kill animations not displaying correctly (7/15/2015 6:55:27 PM)

Kanov,

I haven't heard of this before. Is this single player, mutli-player, or both?

Prone soldiers that are shot do get an abbreviated death animation, but they don't 'flip' like they used to in previous versions. Soldiers that are standing or crouching should have the exact same death animations as earlier.

Do you have any modified game files? It could be that whatever weapon is killing the soldiers has some incorrect weapon or ammo setting, and the game cannot tell what sort of death animation to play.

Steve

Kanov -> RE: Soldier kill animations not displaying correctly (7/16/2015 3:30:12 PM)

Hi,

It is single player.

Modifications:
-Conrad's soldier sprites with blood
-Personal sounds.sfx and vox files

It happens in vanilla game too.

I'm not talking I wish to see the soldiers flying when shot, the subtle death animation they had in previous pre-32b engine is not showing. Again, not all the time, but it happens very frequently. The soldiers are there doing something, then you may or may not hear a dying scream and suddenly the soldier, with out transition, becomes a dead sprite.

And is not the machine, I think the lenovo t430 can handle a game like GtC pretty well.

crackwise -> RE: Soldier kill animations not displaying correctly (7/26/2015 9:46:46 PM)

I also observe it from time to time, vanilla game. Single and both multiplayer. I assumed it was intentional though.

I mean when you are shot you don't fly around all the time. So in some cases it is fine if they just bleed to death.

Kanov -> RE: Soldier kill animations not displaying correctly (8/20/2015 12:57:19 AM)

user Saturnian also mentioned this behavior with the animations:

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/fb.asp?m=3514104

quote:

ORIGINAL: Saturnian

Please make it so soldiers who are shooting pistols actually are shooting pistols and so that surrendered soldiers don't walk around with guns.

also in PITF when a soldier gets shot while laying down there is no transition from live to dead, which used to exist in older games.

Really I do not understand why CC has gone so long without updating soldier animations. It seems like instead of perfecting the animations more flaws have developed and good features go missing, which really cheapens the play. Soldier animations look cruddy. Not a big deal because gameplay is what is most important, but CC has had like 15 years to be improve the otherwise most realistic soldiers in any game in history and for some reason it hasn't happened [&:]

maybe I am being a little harsh but I remember thinking they could have done better with the animations when cc2 came out!

thanks!

Again, is not about wanting to see soldiers flying around when shot by a rifle, but to re-instate the previous subtle dying animation present since cc2.

SteveMcClaire -> RE: Soldier kill animations not displaying correctly (8/20/2015 9:21:05 PM)

Ah - I thought you meant you were never seeing death animations. The 'shot' animations is no longer played for prone soldiers for two reasons:

1) I wanted to add back in an old animation that had been removed, which is a 'fall backwards' death animation. When 'shot' a soldier will randomly play the fall forward or fall backward animation.

2) Both these animations assume the soldier is standing. When played on a prone soldier he is suddenly standing up, and then falling over, sometimes backwards. We could debate which looks better (instant transition from prone to casualty or instant transition from prone to standing, fallowed by falling over) but either one involves an instant transition and creating prone death animations wasn't possible.

Steve

Tejszd -> RE: Soldier kill animations not displaying correctly (8/21/2015 12:56:10 AM)

how about adding code that checks if the soldier is prone and if yes can't use the fall backward or fall forward shot animation but still allow others (prone acceptable animations)???

Kanov -> RE: Soldier kill animations not displaying correctly (8/21/2015 3:55:50 AM)

I Don't know the inner workings. Maybe there's a limit of dying animations like there is for explosions.

But adding a new animation while not leaving the others functioning correctly?

I used the soldier file from cc5 and apart from bright red blood I dont think it affects animations so I guess they are hardcoded in the exe?

SteveMcClaire -> RE: Soldier kill animations not displaying correctly (8/24/2015 7:13:04 PM)

Even the forward-facing one looks a little odd, as the soldier stands up, then falls back down forward again.

Which animation is played for which death type is part of the game EXE, yes.

Steve

Kanov -> RE: Soldier kill animations not displaying correctly (9/2/2015 4:26:20 PM)

Steve,

Any chance I can go back to the old animations? instant death sprite of prone soldiers is not of my liking to be honest.

Thanks.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI