RE: Alan R. Arvold "Divided Ground" Scenarios Thread (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> John Tiller's Campaign Series

Crossroads -> RE: Alan R. Arvold "Divided Ground" Scenarios Thread (9/20/2015 2:17:09 PM)

I believe that all this comes up to some 50+ historical scenarios and for another 50+ board game scenario conversions.

Edit: Yep, 107 (!) scenarios on my disk at the moment, and that's excluding the Ode to AIW V set I misplaced somewhere.

Jafele -> RE: Alan R. Arvold "Divided Ground" Scenarios Thread (9/20/2015 9:12:08 PM)

Excellent news!!!

Special thanks to Alan. [&o]

Crossroads -> RE: Alan R. Arvold "Divided Ground" Scenarios Thread (9/21/2015 3:58:34 PM)

Fourteen new scenarios that make the Ode To Arab-Israeli Wars V, covering the 1973 war, were added to the placeholder post in the previous page (after Ode to IAW IV).

That's 121 new scenarios for you Divided Ground Aficionados! [:)]

Meanwhile, CS: Middle East is good to go live on Sept 24th. There's the box art now released in the forums, HERE

Yay!

Crossroads -> RE: Alan R. Arvold "Divided Ground" Scenarios Thread (9/21/2015 4:18:13 PM)

For anyone new to this thread, here's a quick way to locate them all:

Go to Blitz Wargaming Club Scenario Search Page -> LINK

Enter:

• Ladder: Campaign Series
  • Game: Divided Ground
  • Author: Arvold

Then, you should see something like this:

[image]local://upfiles/32195/AB5E08B306A840D185FD7FEEA6D02855.jpg[/image]

• Crossroads -> RE: Alan R. Arvold "Divided Ground" Scenarios Thread (9/21/2015 4:26:30 PM)

And worth repeating his parting words with sharing his extensive work with us:

quote:

For over ten years I have created and corrected scenarios for Divided Ground. But all this work would not have been possible if it hadn't for the efforts to two gentlemen, Chris Pearlberg and Paul Adaway. These two people separately came up with the multiple game patches that transformed Divided Ground from a broken incomplete video game into the working game that it is today. Sure, Divided Ground isn't perfect and still has some minor issues, but thanks to these two guys I have been able to get round these issues and produce these scenarios. Together I think that the three of us collectively saved Divided Ground from oblivion.

But we must go forward. Middle East is coming out in less than a week and it should give the wars in the Middle East the full attention that Divided Ground should have given them. As Middle East gains in popularity, Divided Ground will start to fade and finally goes to its well deserved rest. I look forward to converting my scenarios to Middle East and I am sure that a lot of players will be looking forward to playing them.

[sm=happy0065.gif]

Warhorse -> RE: Alan R. Arvold "Divided Ground" Scenarios Thread (9/21/2015 7:53:01 PM)

Yeah, Baby!![:D]

Crossroads -> RE: Alan R. Arvold "Divided Ground" Scenarios Thread (10/8/2015 3:52:51 PM)

All, the Chinese Farm scenario set has been updated with a revised map file. Please download again for the latest version.

• Download available HERE

• Crossroads -> RE: Alan R. Arvold "Divided Ground" Scenarios Thread (5/26/2016 4:27:05 PM)

I have received a set of revisions to following Divided Ground Scenario Sets from Alan:

• Chinese Farm
  • Ode to Arab Israeli Wars I
  • Ode to Arab Israeli Wars II
  • Ode to Arab Israeli Wars III

^^ See for download links in the previous page.

In addition, Alan made quite a few CS Middle East scenario conversions to Divided Ground, while getting familiar with the latest offspring of the famed Campaign Series. They can be downloaded here:

• Divided Ground - CS Middle East Scenario Set

If you guys spot anything please let me know. Enjoy! [:)]

• Crossroads -> RE: Alan R. Arvold "Divided Ground" Scenarios Thread (5/26/2016 4:41:49 PM)

Oh but there was more!

13 brand new Ode to Arab Israeli Wars scenarios by Alan can be now downloaded from here:

• Ode to Arab Israeli Wars V

• Crossroads -> RE: Alan R. Arvold "Divided Ground" Scenarios Thread (6/5/2016 9:18:04 AM)

Updated 6/05/2016; Revised Mapboard D maps from Alan. Please download again for the latest versions

• Ode To Arab-Israel Wars I
  • Ode To Arab-Israel Wars II
  • Ode To Arab-Israel Wars IV

• Crossroads -> RE: Alan R. Arvold "Divided Ground" Scenarios Thread (6/5/2016 9:19:06 AM)

FYI: Ode to Arab-Israeli Wars I - IV by Alan are to be available especially converted to CS: Middle East in the imminent 1.02 UPDATE too.

Big Ivan -> RE: Alan R. Arvold "Divided Ground" Scenarios Thread (6/5/2016 10:08:36 AM)

[&o][sm=happy0005.gif]

wings7 -> RE: Alan R. Arvold "Divided Ground" Scenarios Thread (6/5/2016 1:40:09 PM)

[:)][&o]

Crossroads -> RE: Alan R. Arvold "Divided Ground" Scenarios Thread (6/5/2016 1:59:01 PM)

Thanks guys, great news or what!

Seems we're running out of time to have Ode to AIW V set there as well, but no worries I'll just post them at the CS:ME forums meanwhile once they're finished.

Good things take time [:)]

Crossroads -> RE: Alan R. Arvold "Divided Ground" Scenarios Thread (6/5/2016 6:20:31 PM)

OK, if any of you guys downloaded the Ode to AIW II pack for DG before reading this post, please download again. Map #23 saw some editing yet. If you've not downloaded anything yet, you're good to go!

Crossroads -> RE: Alan R. Arvold "Divided Ground" Scenarios Thread (6/26/2016 10:52:58 AM)

A DG version of Ode To AIW V scenario pack has been revised by Alan and is now available from the Blitz Scenario DB. See the opening page for links.

A CS:ME version of Ode To AIW V is to be made available too. I will post here once it is done, in a couple of weeks time.

Crossroads -> RE: Alan R. Arvold "Divided Ground" Scenarios Thread (7/17/2016 10:26:11 AM)

The DG version of "October War" has been revised by Alan and is now available from the Blitz Scenario DB. See the opening page for links.

Meanwhile, the CS:Middle East versions of Arab-Israeli Wars V and VI have been added to CS Middle East forum post. HERE.

Stay tuned for CS: Middle East version of October War scenarios [:)]

Crossroads -> RE: Alan R. Arvold "Divided Ground" Scenarios Thread (8/18/2016 4:50:20 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Crossroads

Divided Ground - Miscellanious Scenarios (Four Revised Scenarios)

quote:

The Miscellanious Scenarios consist of four scenarios for Divided Ground.

Three of the Divided Ground scenarios came with the original game, but were inaccurate, so I revised them.

The fourth scenario, Gaza Riot, was an original scenario from another author that I downloaded from Game Depot years ago.

Download available HERE.

Hey Divided Ground owners: Please revisit the Scenario DB page at The Blitz for a revised version of the A Special Vengeance! by Alan. Link available in the above quotation.

Don't have Divided Ground CD anymore? No worries, get the scenario from Matrix CS: Middle East forum to play it under everyone's favorite ME game engine instead!

Thank you Alan for your continuous work with the era and the battles [&o]

Big Ivan -> RE: Alan R. Arvold "Divided Ground" Scenarios Thread (8/19/2016 8:11:32 AM)

So Crossroads, I'm confused with all the banter in this forum and CSME form![&:]

Is "A Special Vengeance" scenario for the Divided Ground engine or the CSME engine?

Doubt it would be both compatible.

Tx

Big Ivan[:)]

Crossroads -> RE: Alan R. Arvold "Divided Ground" Scenarios Thread (8/19/2016 8:54:47 AM)

The download link here, in the quotation from the original post earlier in this thread, points to The Blitz Scenario DB for a revised scenario for the Divided Ground game by Alan.

The pointer to the CS Middle East forum directs you to a completely new scenario by Alan for CS Middle East game.

Sorry about any confusion.

Crossroads -> RE: Alan R. Arvold "Divided Ground" Scenarios Thread (9/15/2016 4:44:18 PM)

Revised "Into the Valley of Tears They Rode" scenario files now available at the Blitz Wargaming Club Scenario Database, in the same location as provided in the quoted post below.

Thank you Alan! [:)]

quote:

Valley of the Tears 1973

quote:

Everyone, I am please to announce the availability of another set of great Divided Ground scenarios by Alan R. Arvold:

DESIGN NOTES FOR “INTO THE VALLEY OF TEARS THEY RODE”

By Alan R. Arvold

Back when I first got the game Divided Ground, one of the first scenarios that I played was “Valley of Tears”. I found the scenario to be intriguing but was plagued with some historical inaccuracies. I also tried the linked campaign series for both sides of the 73 War up in the Golan and again found the scenarios in them filled with inaccuracies. I then resolved to correct these inaccuracies and make the Valley of Tears scenarios more historically accurate. But first I had to do some research on the subject. I found that there were six separate battles over four consecutive days, although some histories tend to blend these battles into three or four. Another factor was getting the equipment and vehicles right for each side. Divided Ground does have some inaccuracies in its orders of battles for the various sides, despite the work of various gamers in improving them over the years with numerous patches.

They can be downloaded here: LINK.

I don't unfortunately own Talonsoft's Divided Ground, so should you observe any issues with files please report here.

Again my thanks to Alan for sharing his work with the community!

[:)]

Crossroads -> RE: Alan R. Arvold "Divided Ground" Scenarios Thread (9/15/2016 4:46:23 PM)

So again, this thread is about Talonsoft's Divided Ground game. These files will not work with JTCS, nor CS: Middle East.

CS: Middle East specific files are available in CS:ME forums, conviniently accessed for instance using the link on my signature, below.

Crossroads -> RE: Alan R. Arvold "Divided Ground" Scenarios Thread (9/19/2016 6:43:50 PM)

Edit 28 September 2016: DG download updated to include a revised 1967 scenario as well.

This scenario pack has received a revised 1956 scenario from Alan. Please visit the download link in the quoted post below for a Talonsoft's Divided Ground version of the scenario.

For a Campaign Series: Middle East version of the scenario, please see HERE (Link to CS Middle East "Mods and Scenarios" forum post)

quote:

Divided Ground - Abu Ageila 1956 & 1967 (Two Scenarios)

quote:

From Design Notes:

Back when I first got Divided Ground, one of the first scenarios that interested me was “Adan Takes Abu Agheila …again”. To be honest the scenario was not very good. It only portrayed part of the battle. I wanted something bigger.

I found in the game a bigger mapsheet for the whole Abu Ageila area, but no order of battle or scenario to go along with it. Obviously a bigger scenario was going to be done but was not before Talonsoft went out of business. Left with just a mapsheet, I took up the challenge and decided to make a scenario for the whole battle.

Having done the scenario for the battle of Abu Ageila in 1956, it seemed only natural to also do a scenario for the battle of Abu Ageila in 1967. This was easier said than done. For one thing this was a night battle which made things a little bit more complex. Another thing was that the opposing forces were larger this time on both sides, thus making this a bigger scenario.

There was a lot of information on this battle, but the unit designations and, for the Egyptians the commanders’ names, were very hard to obtain as both sides in this war are being very secretive about this matter, even to the present day 38 years later. Still I could not pass up the challenge of making this scenario.

Download available HERE.

Crossroads -> RE: Alan R. Arvold "Divided Ground" Scenarios Thread (10/15/2016 1:30:37 PM)

quote:

Jerusalem 1967

quote:

And here's another set of Divided Ground scenarios by Alan R. Arvold:

DESIGN NOTES FOR BATTLE OF JERUSALEM 1967

By Alan R. Arvold

When Divided Ground came out there were a bunch of unfinished scenarios in the game. One of these was the Battle of Jerusalem 1967. Like the others it had a rather well done map, but unlike the others it also had a partially complete order of battle. Of course there was no scenario per say, but parts of the map were used for two smaller scenarios, “Assault on the Ancient City” and “Hill of Evil Council”. Still there was a need for a scenario for the battle of Jerusalem and I finally got around to doing it here.

Because the actual battle lasted for three days and thus could not be presented in a single scenario, it was necessary to break it down into four separate phases, with a scenario for each. Before discussing the four scenarios I will first discuss the map and the order of battle.

They can be downloaded here: LINK

Again my thanks to Alan for sharing his work with us!

[:)]

quote:

The Battle of Jirardi Pass 1967

quote:

DESIGN NOTES FOR THE BATTLE OF JIRARDI PASS
    By Alan R. Arvold

One of the scenarios in Divided Ground on the 1967 War in the Sinai is “Running the Gauntlet”. It’s about the contested run through Jirardi Pass by elements of the Israeli 7th Armored Brigade on June 5, 1967. Actually there were three run-throughs, two which occurred during the daylight hours and the other which occurred that night. As was the case with all the other original scenarios in the game, this scenario was done in a hurry and as a result, was full of inaccuracies. I originally was going to correct the one scenario, but then realized it would be better to depict the three run-throughs in separate scenarios.

Get it from here: LINK

The above two scenario packs have been revised by Alan. Please download again from The Blitz Scenario DB <- the links above

Crossroads -> RE: Alan R. Arvold "Divided Ground" Scenarios Thread (10/23/2016 4:29:14 PM)

quote:

The battle of Bir Lahfan 1967

quote:

DESIGN NOTES FOR THE BATTLE OF BIR LAHFAN
    By Alan R. Arvold

In Divided Ground there is a scenario entitled “Capture or Death”. It is about the battle of Bir Lahfan, but is a very poor scenario at best. Like most of the other original scenarios in the game it was done in a hurry in order to complete the game for a moved up release date. As a result several mistakes were made and the scenario does not really portray the battle as it really happened. So some changes were in order and I intended to make them. Therefore I have decided to divide the battle into three separate engagements, thus requiring three different scenarios.

Get it from here: LINK

The Divided Ground version of the scenarios have been revised by Alan and can be found at the link from the quote above.

Campaign Series: Middle East versions of the scenarios are available at the Matrix CS Middle East forum, a link in my signature will get you there.

Crossroads -> RE: Alan R. Arvold "Divided Ground" Scenarios Thread (10/30/2016 3:49:50 PM)

quote:

Khan Yunis 1967

quote:

Great news, Middle East 1948-1984 has now been officially announced! Wish us luck!

Meanwhile, those of you who've still got the Divided Ground install, here's four new scenarios by Alan R. Arvold for your playing pleasure. My thanks to Alan for sharing his work with the community!

From his design notes:

In the game Divided Ground, there is a scenario entitled “Red Sheet”. It is about the initial battle for town of Khan Yunis in the Gaza Strip. Like all of the scenarios in Divided Ground it was done in a hurry and without much research into the actual battle.

In my program to update the Divided Ground scenarios I came upon “Red Sheet” and found a flawed product. Oh the scenario set up generally follows the historical one, but the unit designations for the Arabs were way off. Not only that, I also found that there were four separate engagements to take the town during the first three days of the 1967 War.

Instead of just up dating the original scenario, I decided to expand it into four separate scenarios, one of each engagement.

Again, I don't have the game so any issues or observations please post here. Enjoy! [:)]

Khan Yunis scenario files updated for Divided Ground, see the link in above quote.

CS Middle East owners: Alan's Khan Yunis scenarios now available for the game as well, follow the link in my signature to CS:ME forum.

Thank you Alan!

Crossroads -> RE: Alan R. Arvold "Divided Ground" Scenarios Thread (11/10/2016 4:47:27 PM)

A new Divided Ground scenario by Alan now available for download at The Blitz Wargaming Club Scenario Database: HERE.

A version of this scenario developed for CS: Middle East can be found at the CSME Mods and Scenarios subforum, just click at the link on my signature.

This one is a biggie, I hope you like it! Thank you Alan! [:)]

quote:

DESIGN NOTES FOR BATTLE OF JERUSALEM 1967

By Alan R. Arvold

When Divided Ground came out there were a bunch of unfinished scenarios in the game. One of these was the Battle of Jerusalem 1967. Like the others it had a rather well done map, but unlike the others it also had a partially complete order of battle. Of course there was no scenario per say, but parts of the map were used for two smaller scenarios, “Assault on the Ancient City” and “Hill of Evil Council”. Still there was a need for a scenario for the battle of Jerusalem and I finally got around to doing it here.

Because the actual battle lasted for three days and thus could not be presented in a single scenario, it was necessary to break it down into four separate phases, with a scenario for each. Before discussing the four scenarios I will first discuss the map and the order of battle.

The Map

The map was based on maps from the British War Office series of 1960. The actual maps of the West Bank area were done in the early 1950s. It looks very good considering the various hex symbols available for the terrain being depicted. The Old City may look rather strange in its shape on the map but then the real Old City walls have an irregular shape for their boundaries and trying to fit it in correctly into the hexes of the map is an impossible task. Indeed, some have questioned the labeling of the directions on the map. When the map was originally done for Divided Ground, the top of the map was labeled West, the left side South, the right side North, and the bottom side East. Obviously this was wrong. Not only that, the labeling of the various quarters in the Old City were incorrect too, plus the Dome of the Rock was in the wrong location. I have since corrected all of this. The top of the map is now due East, with left side being North, the right side being South, and the bottom being West. But if you use the Old City as a reference, the top is really Southeast, the left is Northeast, the right is Southwest and the bottom is Northwest. However that is the price you pay for converting a real life map to a hex based system in Divided Ground.

The Order of Battle

The order of battle provided in the game was at best incomplete. Because of this I had to completely rebuild it. I had to look into many sources to get the numerical designations of the units on both sides as most units had a proper name by which they known, and subsequently identified as in most historical accounts. As the opposing sides were Jordanians and Israelis, I will deal with the units of each separately.

Jordanians

One will note that the various Jordanian units have a variety of morale levels. This is a reflection of those particular units historical performance in the actual battle. Some units had good morale but were overwhelmed, others gave the Israelis a very tough fight but once their morale broke, never recovered because of their low morale levels..

3rd Infantry Brigade: The 3rd Infantry Brigade, also called the King Tatal Brigade, was the main defending unit at Jerusalem. While an infantry brigade it was also a garrison unit and so had a few alterations to its makeup. For example, its recon squadron was converted to a reserve company to react to any emergency, it did not have an engineer company, and its AT Company did not have any 17 Pdr ATGs, but instead had 106mm Recoilless Rifles mounted on Jeeps. It had two infantry battalions occupying Jerusalem itself and the third infantry battalion deployed along the northern edge of the Jerusalem Corridor. While normally it was a motorized brigade, during the battle, the trucks were largely absent as they being used by other brigades and being a garrison unit, the 3rd Infantry was frequently equipped with light transport vehicles for patrol purposes within the city.

27th Infantry Brigade: The 27th Infantry Brigade, also known as the Imman Ali Brigade, was originally part of the Jordanian reserve on the West Bank at the beginning of the 67 War. However it was gradually transferred to Jerusalem starting with its 31st Infantry Battalion just before the beginning of hostilities. It was soon followed by the 28th Infantry Battalion and then the rest of the brigade within the first 24 hours of the war. The brigade is not represented in its entirety in the scenarios as part of it was deployed off map to the north. Only those units that involved in the battle of Jerusalem directly are portrayed in the game. It should be noted that the 27th also had Jeep mounted recoilless rifles in place of the 17 Pdrs ATGs in its anti-tank company and had machine-gun armed jeeps in place of the Saladin Armored Cars in its Recon Squadron.

29th Infantry Brigade: The 29th Infantry Brigade, also known as the Hittin Brigade, was only marginally involved in the battle for Jerusalem. The brigade defended the southern part of the West Bank (Judea) and only had two companies of its 29th Infantry Battalion present on the map, defending some towns just south of Jerusalem.

60th Armored Brigade: The 60th Armored Brigade was also part of the Jordanian reserve on the West Bank. It was earmarked to support the units at Jerusalem but was prevented from arriving by constant Israeli airstrikes throughout the war. Of the units in the brigade, two squadrons from the 5th Armored Regiment came the closest to arriving, being stopped by losses to Israeli airstrikes, just off the east edge of the map. But they could have made it, if the Israelis had been late with their airstrikes. As a compromise for play balance purposes in the third scenario, I have given those two tank squadrons a 50% chance of entering the board, along with some brigade supporting units, and the Israeli player can deal with them with the airstrikes he has in the scenario.

Jerusalem Militia Battalion: The Jerusalem Militia was the local militia unit in Jerusalem. It was mostly deployed in the Old City, although one of its companies was used to surround the Israeli garrison on Mount Scopus.

Israelis

16th Infantry Brigade: The 16th Infantry Brigade, also known as the Jerusalem Brigade, was an oversized brigade with eight infantry battalions. Four of these were regular army battalions (161st through the 164th) and the others were reserve battalions (165th through 168th). Of these the regular battalions were involved in the battle of Jerusalem, the others being deployed off map, one assisting the Israeli 4th Infantry Brigade in the battle of Latrun to the west (the 165th) and the other three deployed around the border of Judea, keeping the Jordanian 29th Infantry Brigade in check. The 16th also had a tank company of 21 old Shermans, armed with the 76mm gun, a recon company, and a mortar battalion. In addition, there was an “Academic Reserve Company” which was a line company from one of the reserve line battalions which was composed of students and teachers from various colleges in Israel, who were called to duty.

55th Paratroop Brigade: The 55th Paratroop Brigade was a reserve paratroop brigade, originally scheduled to be parachuted into El Arish on the first day of the war but the quick capture of the town canceled that mission. It consisted of three paratroop battalions (the 28th, 66th, and 71st), an engineer company, and a combination recon/anti-tank company. The paratroop battalions were unusual in that they still had four line companies per battalion whereas the other infantry brigades in the Israeli Army had gone over to three line companies per battalion. After the battle for Jerusalem was over, the 55th sent two of its battalions north to participate in the battle of the Golan Heights.

10th Mechanized Brigade: The 10th Mechanized Brigade was a regular Army brigade with the usual two mechanized battalions (the 104th and 106th) and one armored battalion (the 95th). The 95th Armored Battalion was unusual in that it had five tank companies, four of them equipped with M50 Super Shermans and the other one equipped with Mk3 Centurions. Prior to going into battle, the 95th gave up two of its companies, one to each mechanized battalion, and received two mechanized companies in return. Thus each battalion was in reality a combined arms force and this is how they are organized in the scenarios in this battle. The brigade also had an artillery battalion equipped with 25 Pdr howitzers and a mechanized scout company.

Mount Scopus Garrison: The Mount Scopus Garrison was the name I gave to the combined security forces in the two main structures on Mount Scopus, namely the Hadassah Hospital and the Hebrew University. Both were approximately platoon size. I made them as militia units as this would about commensurate with their abilities.

Middle East Version: When this scenario was originally created, I used mobile headquarters units for almost all battalions on both sides as all of them were either armored, mechanized, or motorized. Further research showed that most all of the infantry and paratroop battalions had shed their vehicles prior to going into combat in the city of Jerusalem, including those for their headquarter units. So I changed the applicable battalion headquarters to dismounted ones as well as a few mounted leaders to dismounted ones.

The Scenarios

• Scenario #1: Scenario #1 depicts the action on the first day of the battle for Jerusalem, namely the battle for Government House in southern Jerusalem and other areas south of there (The Sausage, the Bell, and village of Sur Bahir). However, I have the entire forces on both sides set up on the board in case either player wants to try to conquer Jerusalem with the forces at hand. All of the Jordanian forces on the board are fixed in place though as their mission was primarily defensive in nature and are not released until they are attacked. The Israelis are free to move at the beginning but the sides are too evenly matched for them to accomplish much. Both sides are free to fire though and that is about what happened with units engaging in firefights but no real maneuvering save those units of the forces in and around Government House. The victory point hexes reflect the actual Israeli objectives for that day. The minefields, blocks, and defensive positions on the board are an approximation of the actual layout of the Jordanian defensive scheme for Jerusalem and the surrounding area. The Israeli set up reflects how they were before they started massing for the attack on Government House so the Israeli player will have to spend the first few turns moving his units into their attack positions. The victory levels reflect the historical Israeli objectives for the day and can be exceeded greatly in either direction if either side decides to attack all across the board.

• Scenario #2: Scenario #2 depicts the night attack by the 55th Paratroop Brigade into the suburbs in northern Jerusalem on the second day of the battle. These would include the actions at Ammunition Hill, the Police School, and the Rockefeller Museum. Historically the attack lasted into the late morning, well after dawn, but I am presenting it as a night attack as the plan was to have all of the objectives captured before dawn. However, city fighting being what it is, the fighting usually takes for longer to finish than if it was in the country. The victory point hexes again reflect the Israeli objectives for that attack. In addition, the 55th also had to relieve the siege of Mount Scopus (if one could call it that considering that there were only Jordanian militia units surrounding it). Again the Jordanians are fixed in place at the start of the scenario and can only be released by being attacked. The Jordanian 28th Infantry Battalion, which was pushed out of Government House the day before, was transferred during the night to road north of Jerusalem to Ramallah where they start the scenario, having just moved in. One will note that Israeli units are set up in southern Jerusalem in Government House and there about to reflect the area captured the day before. One will also note that the obstacles in that area have been removed and the minefields have either been removed or reduced. This reflects the actions of the Israeli engineers to remove them during the time space in-between scenarios. The artillery battalion that the Israelis have on the west edge of the board belongs to the 10th Mechanized Brigade. It was historically set up there so as to be in a centralized location where it could both support the 10th Mechanized (which is off board to the west) and the on-board 55th Paratroop Brigade. Again the victory point levels reflect the historical Israeli objectives for that attack.

• Scenario #3: Scenario #3 depicts the daylight battle to surround the Old City and to drive off the remainder of the Jordanian forces during the second day. The biggest problem I had with this scenario was that historically it began while the battle depicted in Scenario #2 was still raging. I solved this by treating the second scenario as being over, with the Israeli forces holding all of the objectives that they had at the end of the real battle. Another problem is that all of the actions depicted occurred during the course of the whole day and even part of the second night, yet I have compressed them all into a scenario that lasts 30 turns, which is three hours in real time. Still there are some starting differences. For one thing, the Jordanian 4th Infantry Battalion is in the process of pulling back. This is represented by its right most company setting up in the town of Beit Hanina and its battalion headquarters pulled back even further. All of the 4th Battalion's units are also unfrozen to accomplish this. This is to prepare for the arrival of the Israeli 10th Mechanized Brigade which will arrive on board in a flanking position on the Jordanian 4th Infantry. The Jordanian 28th Infantry Battalion who we saw set up on the Jerusalem-Ramallah road in the last scenario now has Improved Positions as there was more than enough time to construct them between the scenarios. The 28th also has one if its companies unfrozen so it can shift to cover the gap on the road going off the north edge if they need to. The Jordanians also have elements of the 60th Armored Brigade with a 50% chance of entering the east side of the board behind the 28th Infantry Battalion. The Israelis have 20 airstrikes that can really make things tough for the Jordanians. As before, the Israelis have removed obstacles from recently captured land, yet they use the captured defensive positions from the same area. The victory point objectives are the historical Israeli goals for this stage of the battle and the victory point levels reflect those goals.

• Scenario #4: Scenario #4 depicts the final phase of the battle for Jerusalem. The Jordanians have been driven away back to the Jordan River, where they were crossing to escape to the east. All that is left is the Jordanian garrison in the Old City. Just about all of the units in there are of reduced strength. Mostly because these were soldiers and militia men who chose to make a last stand or who did not get the word to retreat. Most of the militia simply melted away as the men simply went home since they lived locally. The tank wrecks near the Lion's Gate are Israeli tanks from the 16th Tank Company that got lost in the streets of Jerusalem during the battle the day before and ended up by the Old City where Jordanians rained RPG rockets down upon them from the city walls, taking out eight of them. The scenario is only 15 turns long (90 minutes) as this was how long it historically took to capture the Old City. However the victory point levels reflect more than just that. The Israelis must also exit a large number of units off the board to the east and south in pursuit of the retreating Jordanians. Fortunately, a battalion of the 10th Mechanized Brigade is set up on the Jerusalem-Ramallah road, ready to do just that. Although the Israelis have again removed obstacles from the land captured in the previous scenario, the minefields on both shoulders of the Jerusalem Corridor remain as it took several weeks to remove them all after the war. In essence, the Israelis are really completing against history in this scenario. The fall of the Old City is a forgone conclusion. The scenario just sees if the Israelis can do in the same time as they did historically. If it takes longer, in other words, if they do not end up with at least 1400 victory points at the end of the game, then the Jordanians can be considered to have won a morale victory.

Conclusion

I hope that players find these scenarios pleasing and exciting. As it is, another scenario (or in this case a series of them) that was originally supposed to be in the game is finally there. Enjoy the scenarios.

• Crossroads -> RE: Alan R. Arvold "Divided Ground" Scenarios Thread (11/22/2016 4:19:28 PM)

The 2nd Bir Gifgafa, Jebel Libni and Nakhl scenarios have been revised by Alan, and are available at the download link in the quote below>

quote:

Battles of the Sinai 1967 (Four scenarios)

quote:

From Design Notes:

If Divided Ground can be faulted (and it certainly has for many things) it is for its absence of a scenario for the battle of Rafah Junction in 1967. This was a critical battle at the beginning of the Six Day War and the Israelis needed to win it and win it fast if they wanted to carry the war to its conclusion. One would think that its inclusion in the game would have been mandatory and it probably would have been if the game’s development had not been cut abruptly short. Still there was a need for this scenario and I finally got
    around to doing it.

Download available HERE.

My sincere thanks to Alan for sharing his work again with us [:)]

These scenarios are separately available for CS Middle East game as well, follow the link in my signature to CS Middle East and see the Mods and Scenarios forum for "Ode to Divided Ground" download.

Thank you Alan! [&o]

Crossroads -> RE: Alan R. Arvold "Divided Ground" Scenarios Thread (11/28/2016 6:26:17 PM)

quote:

quote:

Divided Ground - Miscellanious Scenarios (Four Revised Scenarios)

quote:

The Miscellanious Scenarios consist of four scenarios for Divided Ground.

Three of the Divided Ground scenarios came with the original game, but were inaccurate, so I revised them.

The fourth scenario, Gaza Riot, was an original scenario from another author that I downloaded from Game Depot years ago.

Download available HERE.

Hey Divided Ground owners: Please revisit the Scenario DB page at The Blitz for a revised version of the A Special Vengeance! by Alan. Link available in the above quotation.

Don't have Divided Ground CD anymore? No worries, get the scenario from Matrix CS: Middle East forum to play it under everyone's favorite ME game engine instead!

Thank you Alan for your continuous work with the era and the battles [&o]

This scenario pack has been revised with a new Battle of Jenin 1967 scenario.

To be precise, the scenarios included in the pack are:

• The Intifada 1999
  • A Special Vengeance (Revised)
  • Battle of Jenin 1967
  • Operation Kadesh

Look for the download link in the above quote to download the zip file with the latest scenario revisions.

CS Middle East players, Battle of Jenin has been added to "Ode to Divided Ground" pack there, look for the download via my signature link.

Thank you Alan!

• Crossroads -> RE: Alan R. Arvold "Divided Ground" Scenarios Thread (12/4/2016 4:05:22 PM)

This just in: A new Rafah South 1967 scenario revision from Alan. I added to the download that previously held the Battle of Rafah, thought they'd make a nice pairing [:)]

THE BATTLE OF RAFAH JUNCTION 1967

If Divided Ground can be faulted (and it certainly has for many things) it is for its absence of a scenario for the battle of Rafah Junction in 1967. This was a critical battle at the beginning of the Six Day War and the Israelis needed to win it and win it fast if they wanted to carry the war to its conclusion. One would think that its inclusion in the game would have been mandatory and it probably would have been if the game’s development had not been cut abruptly short. Still there was a need for this scenario and I finally got around to doing it.

THE BATTLE OF RAFAH SOUTH

Rafah South was one of the original scenarios that came with the Divided Ground game. Designed by Edwin (Mick) Comny, it depicted the part of the battle of Rafah, south of the Rafah road junction. Like most scenarios in the game, it was designed in a hurry to meet the accelerated release date for the game, and as such, was filled with errors. I largely ignored this scenario as I designed the larger Battle of Rafah 1967 scenario which depicts the whole battle, including the southern part as depicted in Rafah South. But as I am converting every Divided Ground scenario to Middle East, I had to deal with this scenario sooner or later. So here goes.

Download available at The Blitz, HERE.

There's a CS Middle East version of this out as well, again follow the link in my signature for a scenario for that game.

Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI