The story of the U.S.S. William D. Porter (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series

jtoatoktoe -> The story of the U.S.S. William D. Porter (7/25/2015 9:22:56 PM)

Oh Boy, what a eventful history she had during WW2.

http://www.ussiowa.org/general/html/willie_d.htm

JamesM -> RE: The story of the U.S.S. William D. Porter (7/25/2015 9:42:14 PM)

Thank you for that link, I had a good laugh. I am surprised that Hollywood has not made a movie about this ship, they would not have to embellish the story.

Hairog -> RE: The story of the U.S.S. William D. Porter (7/26/2015 12:59:08 AM)

Truth is stranger than fiction. If you wrote a story like that you would be laughed out of the room. Very bizarre circumstances. [:D]

Patmanaut -> RE: The story of the U.S.S. William D. Porter (7/26/2015 10:26:23 PM)

Thank you for posting this article.
It reminds me a lot to the chapter "The Voyage of the Damned" on Geoffrey Reganīs book; Great Naval Blunders.(A must read book if you liked this article.)
The only difference is none on the Porter got injured.

barkhorn45 -> RE: The story of the U.S.S. William D. Porter (7/26/2015 11:04:01 PM)

I think the author need's to read a few reference book's.
I don't think the "Val"was made almost entirely of wood.

Patmanaut -> RE: The story of the U.S.S. William D. Porter (7/27/2015 4:14:20 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: barkhorn45

I think the author need's to read a few reference book's.
I don't think the "Val"was made almost entirely of wood.

Probably because the author (probably.) was a war veteran.
Even trained naval pilots often called "Zekes" to any plane resembling a Zero despite being Oscars, or Vals to any plane with fixed undercarriage. They even fired to their own planes by mistake...

HalfLifeExpert -> RE: The story of the U.S.S. William D. Porter (7/27/2015 5:23:17 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Patmanaut

Thank you for posting this article.
It reminds me a lot to the chapter "The Voyage of the Damned" on Geoffrey Reganīs book; Great Naval Blunders.(A must read book if you liked this article.)
The only difference is none on the Porter got injured.

ah yes, I thought of that chapter as well. I knew the Russian fleet in 1905 was not up to par with Togo's fleet, but the level of incompetence is just astounding

regarding the 'wooden Val', perhaps it was a late war, desperate model, perhaps taking an unfinished airframe and using wood. makes sense to me. It also could have been a test of the concept, if the british figured out that radar can be defeated with a wooden plane (the mosquito) then the Japanese could have figured it out

StellarRat -> RE: The story of the U.S.S. William D. Porter (7/27/2015 7:01:18 PM)

quote:

regarding the 'wooden Val', perhaps it was a late war, desperate model, perhaps taking an unfinished airframe and using wood. makes sense to me. It also could have been a test of the concept, if the british figured out that radar can be defeated with a wooden plane (the mosquito) then the Japanese could have figured it out
Maybe invisible to WW II radar. I think modern radar would easily pickup a Val. Remember, that the engine, guns, and ordnance are not made of wood.

HalfLifeExpert -> RE: The story of the U.S.S. William D. Porter (7/27/2015 7:19:13 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: StellarRat

quote:

Maybe invisible to WW II radar. I think modern radar would easily pickup a Val. Remember, that the engine, guns, and ordnance are not made of wood.

That's what I meant, if not invisible, but very hard to detect with WWII radar. And when it is spotted, maybe it would be tough for a radar directed .5 in gun mount to get a good bearing on it.

barkhorn45 -> RE: The story of the U.S.S. William D. Porter (7/27/2015 7:50:58 PM)

I know they constructed a wooden KI-84 Hayate not for stealh but to save strategic material's but it weighed a lot more than the duralinum version and performance was way below spec's.
They also built one out of steel,same result.
I can't find any reference to a wooden D3A.Or a A5M Claude or KI-27 Nate,the only other fixed undercarriage monoplanes in their inventory.

StellarRat -> RE: The story of the U.S.S. William D. Porter (7/27/2015 9:06:04 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: HalfLifeExpert

That's what I meant, if not invisible, but very hard to detect with WWII radar. And when it is spotted, maybe it would be tough for a radar directed .5 in gun mount to get a good bearing on it.

Yeah. That was a great story by the way. It's nearly unbelievable how many accidents that ship had.

As far as other AC "made of wood" I think there were several pre-war fighters (not just Japanese) that were partially wooden and sometimes even canvas covered (and of course, the famous Mosquito.)

Schr75 -> RE: The story of the U.S.S. William D. Porter (7/27/2015 9:58:26 PM)

quote:

As far as other AC "made of wood" I think there were several pre-war fighters (not just Japanese) that were partially wooden and sometimes even canvas covered (and of course, the famous Mosquito.)

Absolutely. For instance the famous Swordfish biplane torpedo bomber that was instrumental in killing the Bismarck. They were open cockpit wood and canvas constructions, with wires strenghtening the wing construction, hence the name "Stringbags" among the pilots.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI