[UPDATED DB v441] USN Renames Three Ship Classes (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series

Juramentado -> [UPDATED DB v441] USN Renames Three Ship Classes (9/4/2015 6:06:57 PM)

From my friends at USNI - New Names, Same Platforms:

http://news.usni.org/2015/09/04/navy-renames-three-ship-classes-creates-expeditionary-designator-in-naming-system

Juramentado -> RE: USN Renames Three Ship Classes (9/4/2015 6:08:05 PM)

Apologies - I haven't been on the board in a while - I didn't see the new Pinned Post at the top for this kind of stuff. Please feel free to delete!

cf_dallas -> RE: USN Renames Three Ship Classes (9/4/2015 10:44:44 PM)

Interesting historical link from the USNI article:

http://www.history.navy.mil/research/library/online-reading-room/title-list-alphabetically/g/general-orders/general-order-no-541-1920-standard-nomemclature-naval-vessels.html

I never realized that the pennant code for an aircraft carrier ("CV") is really a subset of the Cruiser family. Strictly speaking, they were considered "cruisers for heavier-than-air aircraft". Which sounds an awful lot like "Aircraft Carrying Cruiser" (ie the Kiev class) or a "Through-Deck Cruiser" (the UK's parliament-dodging name for the Invincible class).

They've come a long way from a couple converted battlecruisers though!

Casinn -> RE: USN Renames Three Ship Classes (9/5/2015 3:16:16 AM)

didn't the first couple CVs come about from the 1920 Washington Conference limiting US/UK/Japan ships, and were converted from heavy cruisers? I'll have to look that up now. heh

cf_dallas -> RE: USN Renames Three Ship Classes (9/5/2015 4:04:44 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Casinn

didn't the first couple CVs come about from the 1920 Washington Conference limiting US/UK/Japan ships, and were converted from heavy cruisers? I'll have to look that up now. heh

Lexington (CV2) and Saratoga (CV3) were exactly that, covered battlecruisers that would otherwise have been scrapped. I think they retained 8" guns for a while at least.

Langley (CV1) was converted from a collier. Ranger (CV4) was the first purpose built carrier in the US Navy.

mikmykWS -> RE: USN Renames Three Ship Classes (9/5/2015 1:10:56 PM)

Added this to our db list.

M

SeaQueen -> RE: USN Renames Three Ship Classes (9/6/2015 1:38:31 PM)

If only you all could have been there when I was said, "So, the LCS is a replacement frigate?" and was told, "No, it's not a frigate," and I said, "I don't understand..."

And now it's designated an FF...

I feel a little bit vindicated today.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI