What's Next for JTCS? (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> John Tiller's Campaign Series

Noypi53 -> What's Next for JTCS? (9/5/2015 8:29:02 AM)

With the release of the ME JTCS this month, what's next in the pipeline for the series?

berto -> RE: What's Next for JTCS? (9/5/2015 10:15:07 AM)

That's under intense discussion among the Dev Team right now. In all likelihood, the Indochina-Vietnam game will be next.

But let's midwife Middle East out first.

We are, by the way, dropping the JT in JTCS. With so many existing and planned changes to the game system (including many foundational changes that you, the players, don't directly see), it's officially just The Campaign Series going forward.

Big Ivan -> RE: What's Next for JTCS? (9/5/2015 10:49:12 AM)

I like that designation change.[;)]

So going forward would it be acceptable to say:

CSEF-Campaign Series East Front
CSWF-Campaign Series West Front
CSRS-Campaign Series Rising Sun

and last but not least:
CSME-Campaign Series Middle East

or just CS for all of it?

BTW down the road is it possible to mesh all the individual games into one download and just call it CS? [:)]

berto -> RE: What's Next for JTCS? (9/5/2015 11:41:00 AM)

No, no more bundling. The opposite in fact.

The original Matrix JTCS bundle was/is an astonishing bargain -- 700+ scenarios for the "unbelievably low price" of $30. Given the one to two years of intense effort that goes into the making of each one of these games, bundling at a dirt cheap price is a business model we can't support going forward.

budd -> RE: What's Next for JTCS? (9/5/2015 2:09:03 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: berto

No, no more bundling. The opposite in fact.

The original Matrix JTCS bundle was/is an astonishing bargain -- 700+ scenarios for the "unbelievably low price" of $30. Given the one to two years of intense effort that goes into the making of each one of these games, bundling at a dirt cheap price is a business model we can't support going forward.

AAAAA....the good old days...we as wargamers were pretty spoiled back then. As long as something is a complete package with support and communication i have no problem paying for it. I will buy the middle east game and the vietnam game but i'm a WW2 guy so i'm really looking forward to you guys porting the stuff back. When that time comes i hope there is some way to donate to the cause for all the work in porting the stuff back.

Since the 1.00 is out is Jason going to start the AAR?

Jason Petho -> RE: What's Next for JTCS? (9/5/2015 4:47:06 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: **budd**

Since the 1.00 is out is Jason going to start the AAR?

As soon as we get the installer back from Matrix/Slitherine and it works as it should be, I'll be starting the process of making some video tutorials.

Once they are ready, I'll start posting them in the Middle East forum, of course.

Jason Petho

Noypi53 -> RE: What's Next for JTCS? (9/15/2015 9:49:41 AM)

What are the plans to bring the WWII series to ME standards e.g. the unit/icon graphics, AI, etc.?

berto -> RE: What's Next for JTCS? (9/15/2015 11:03:11 AM)

After our next game, Vietnam (or Indochina/Vietnam), current plans are to develop and release (an unbundled) WF 3.0, a much revamped game, brought up to ME standards, and more so. It will take a while, though. EF 3.0 & RS 3.0 will follow later as standalone games, in and among other new game releases, in due course. That's The Plan.

Crossroads -> RE: What's Next for JTCS? (9/15/2015 5:21:55 PM)

quote:

After our next game, Vietnam (or Indochina/Vietnam), current plans are to develop and release (an unbundled) WF 3.0, a much revamped game, brought up to ME standards, and more so. It will take a while, though. EF 3.0 & RS 3.0 will follow later as standalone games, in and among other new game releases, in due course. That's The Plan.

Yes, now that we got this far we came to conclusion there's no way turning the clock back.

While there was compatibility between CS 1.x and CS 2.x in a manner for instance you can open a 1.x scenario with 2.x editor and tweak it, or with the game exe to play it, this is no longer available for 3.x backwards. So, what we thought would be a 2.x UPDATE in fact will be about building everything up to latest standards instead.

With most of the graphics files altered in 2D, Platoon IDs converted to six digit format (from five digit format), all the OoB files need to be rebuild, all the scenarios need to be rebuild, and for the latter especially conversion tools need to be finished. In fact, much nothing but the 3D bmp and bit files will move forward as-is. Everything else needs to be reconstructed.

It will take some time, it will happen one game at a time, and it will all be totally worth it when it is done.

budd -> RE: What's Next for JTCS? (9/16/2015 1:03:46 AM)

Thanks guys[&o]....would you just sell me the new damn game please[:D]. If i might inquire how far along is the Vietnam game?

Crossroads -> RE: What's Next for JTCS? (9/16/2015 6:25:10 AM)

quote:

Thanks guys[&o]....would you just sell me the new damn game please[:D]. If i might inquire how far along is the Vietnam game?

When it is ready? [8D]

Given the release cycle bw MCS2.02 and ME1.00 was something like 13-14 months, please expect something similar.

We've still got quite an extensive wish list of new features for the CS:VN release, so that will take some time besides just adding the OoBs and scenarios there.

After CS:VN it just might be that future titles would be a bit less work than what has gone in for MCS2.x, CS:ME1.0 and CS:VN1.0 (as we expect). Maybe.

Besides, CS:ME 1.00 is not even out yet! [sm=00000280.gif]

edit: Nope, it was longer between MCS2.0 and CS:ME1.0. I looked the MCS2.02 Update that was 10/2014, but 2.00 update was already 2/2014. So 18 months rather than 13. So a wild guess would be between a year and year-and-a-half? We'll keep you updated of course. Once the CS:ME 1.00 is safely out of the doors that is!

Bigeard -> RE: What's Next for JTCS? (9/17/2015 7:40:30 AM)

Still looking forward to Vietnam, particularly France's involvement, which I'm very much interested in. Jason, I hope you still have the Dien Bien Phu maps and photos I sent, way back. If not, let me know, and I'll resend them. I have a number of books covering the French era, so come the day, I'll will be happy to help with any queries ( equipment, OOBs etc ) if I can.

Noypi53 -> RE: What's Next for JTCS? (9/17/2015 8:39:39 AM)

quote:

Am a bit disappointed that the CS:WWII will need major updates to get to ME standards. I was hoping it could be done thru patch updates. That's progress I guess.

On the positive side, this will keep the CS fresh. It will also mean that a lot of scenario builders will be busy for years to come!!

Eagerly looking forward to the CS: ME release!

Crossroads -> RE: What's Next for JTCS? (9/17/2015 9:46:29 AM)

Thanks Noypi53

If there would have been an easy route believe me we would have taken it!

They'll be like brand new games once we get there [:)]

quote:

ORIGINAL: Noypi53
Eagerly looking forward to the CS: ME release!

So are we!

budd -> RE: What's Next for JTCS? (9/26/2015 6:08:42 PM)

I was going to post this in the ME forum in repsonse to a post that popped up about the future of CS. Just thought here would be a better place and I didn't want to piss on the parade, I.E. the successful release of ME

I have no problem with the ME price point. Regarding the uncoupling and revamping of the older titles I've been on both sides of the issue, meaning being fine with it and having a problem with it, CO anyone, I bought HTTR 3 times[:)] and was fine with it. the Close Combat games, not so much and i think those were new stuff with old engines, old problems. I think at the end of the day it just depends on how much you enjoy a product and basically to each their own, no wrong side in this one.

I do have one question the team could set my mind at ease with about the uncoupling. I have no problem buying the revamped EF, WF, RS, just tell me there not going to be paired down but revamped and sold with all the content they currently have. As you mention there's a lot of scenarios and campaigns. Tell me there's not going to be a base game and to get all the content of ES we would have to buy base game and add-ons.

Crossroads -> RE: What's Next for JTCS? (9/26/2015 7:40:32 PM)

Yes, it is our intention to keep the existing scenario stock up to speed with the new titles. We will need to come up with an extensive set of tools to convert them, for at least the Platoon database will see a complete overhaul from existing set.

Also, when we get to WW II titles, we've got not only Middle East but also Vietnam and possibly Korea too (need to jug it in at some point), so within the concept of Living Game, all the new features that have come out will be fitted into the WW II titles.

New 2D zoom levels, new air model, AI changes, event editor, ... what not. New scenarios too, of course.

It will be quite a humongous task. It will all be worth it we believe. And hope [:)]

Deepstuff3725 -> RE: What's Next for JTCS? (9/27/2015 1:22:48 AM)

Just bought Middle East today and looking forward to seeing the improvements.

I like the sound of a CS:Vietnam and CS:Korea, and can't wait for the improved editions to the WWII game.

Would you consider at some point making a CS:WWI?

Thanks... Jeff

Jason Petho -> RE: What's Next for JTCS? (9/27/2015 1:56:02 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deepstuff123
Would you consider at some point making a CS:WWI?

Assuming the games are successful, yes, WW1 is on the list. There will be a Cold War and a NATO War game prior to that though.

U.S. Civil War is also on the list (back of the list at the moment).

Jason Petho

Deepstuff3725 -> RE: What's Next for JTCS? (9/27/2015 2:11:00 AM)

Wow, that's awesome! I'd buy all of those...

Keep up the great work, and thank you. :)

budd -> RE: What's Next for JTCS? (9/27/2015 2:33:23 AM)

soviet/afgan on the list

Jason Petho -> RE: What's Next for JTCS? (9/27/2015 5:08:21 AM)

quote:

soviet/afgan on the list

It will be part of the "Cold War" compilation.

Jason Petho

andym -> RE: What's Next for JTCS? (9/28/2015 8:40:59 PM)

I cant wait for the Cold War game.I lived in BAOR at the Height of the Cold War.

76mm -> RE: What's Next for JTCS? (9/28/2015 9:06:17 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Crossroads
Platoon IDs converted to six digit format (from five digit format), all the OoB files need to be rebuild...

Can you tell us any more about this six digit format? I'm looking at doing something with the platoon files and would need to rejigger things if the IDs changed on me.

Jason Petho -> RE: What's Next for JTCS? (9/28/2015 10:25:55 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: 76mm
Can you tell us any more about this six digit format? I'm looking at doing something with the platoon files and would need to rejigger things if the IDs changed on me.

This is the present formatting for the new platoon code formats.

Keep in mind, this is subject to change.

quote:

PLATOON CODES
Platoon Code Format for new Campaign Series games.
Jason Petho – November 5, 2014

PXX0001 – PXX0999 Tanks, Light Tanks, Self-propelled Gun (as SU-100)
PXX1001 – PXX1999 Artillery (Self-propelled and towed)
PXX2001 – PXX2999 Infantry (All types)
PXX3001 – PXX3999 Headquarters (All types)
PXX4001 – PXX4999 Leaders (All types)
PXX5001 – PXX5999 Off-map Airplanes (All types)
PXX6001 – PXX6499 Reconnaissance Vehicles (Armoured Cars, Recce Jeeps, etc)
PXX6500 – PXX6799 Helicopters and ON MAP aircraft (All types)
PXX6800 – PXX6999 Naval Units (Boats, Landing Craft, etc)
PXX7001 – PXX7999 Transport units (All types of Trucks, APC’s, IFV’s, etc)
PXX8001 – PXX8499 Antiaircraft (Self-propelled, towed, man portable)
PXX8500 – PXX8799 Spare
PXX8800 – PXX8999 Misc Buildings, special units (Factories, News Crews, etc)
PXX9001 – PXX9499 Antitank (Self-propelled, towed, man portable)
PXX9500 – PXX9999 Spare

ArmyEsq -> RE: What's Next for JTCS? (10/2/2015 1:53:00 AM)

Bought CSME. The possibilities are exciting! Thank you, Gentlemen.

I look forward to CSVN. In fact, I'm not sure I've ever looked forward more to a game than CSVN.

Jason Petho -> RE: What's Next for JTCS? (10/2/2015 2:52:38 AM)

Thank you for your support, ArmyEsq!!

I will have admit, so I am! While I am biased, I believe it will be truly fantastic!

Jason Petho

Warhorse -> RE: What's Next for JTCS? (10/2/2015 9:07:33 PM)

Thank you for your support ArmyEsq, the devel team very much appreciate all you guys interest![&o]

K K Rossokolski -> RE: What's Next for JTCS? (11/8/2015 8:53:49 AM)

Bigeard, good evening from Canberra. I refer to your Post #11.
You've chosen to remember of one of the finest soldiers of the last 100 years or more. What one would give to have a drink with him.?
I too have had on ongoing interest in this period, one of my memories of youth is of listening to the ABC at home in Melbourne in May '54, hearing that DBP had surrendered.
For the VN game,I am working on some biggish scenarios of the French era, in particular the series of engagements around the Red River Delta in 1951, where it did seem that Giap committed himself too early, and badly underestimated the ability of the French under de Lattre to counter his moves. I have excellent sources for maps, but apart from DBP, there is not a lot of detailed material available in English. Bernard Fall provides sufficient information to develop some historically based scens, but I would love to have some more detailed material. I am particularly interested in the Day River battles of 1951. Any information you could point me to will be deeply appreciated
Please note I have poor computer skills.

carll11 -> RE: What's Next for JTCS? (12/15/2015 5:42:52 PM)

I too have been looking forward to CS Vietnam....since well, the old talon soft game series, whose name escapes me[:D]

basic graphics, they had a Dak To scenario ( or was oi Long vie? so long ago)an I Corp Khe Sahn scenario, ... I wish I could remember the name, you had 'offshore attack' helos and aircraft to allocate, you found units by intermittent spotting, landing air cav squadrons close by etc... etc....

Anyway, making a CS system style/type game will be challenging. How do you account for say, the super stealth of the VC and still superior stealth ( to the Americans) of the NVA?

NVA Sappers, require I think special tools/movement values etc....

carll11 -> RE: What's Next for JTCS? (12/15/2015 5:47:23 PM)

btw- are you referring to the Bigeard who was at dien bien phu? ( speaking of a great CSVN scenario [sm=00000028.gif] )

Page: [1] 2   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI