Android.... grrrrrrr.. (Full Version)

All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion

Hertston -> Android.... grrrrrrr.. (12/8/2015 12:43:31 PM)

I see,

"How many times have you been able to say: "There is no game like this on iPad"? This is what the press said when Battle Academy released. That started a trend and brought deep strategy games to iOS."

I, and a lot of other people, keep saying that about Android as well. Yet "they don't sell" we are told. The market won't stand the prices, we are told. What what the hell do you expect when another, Legions of Steel, is released on Android and you can't even be arsed to tell anyone?! I only found it on a random browse of the Play Store.

Look at the Trese Brothers games. Perfect Matrix/Slitherine style stuff, or it would be with a little added graphical polish. Their latest, Templar Battleforce, is a much better sci-fi tactical than Slitherene has ever produced, and has sold like hot cakes.

In other words, convert the same games as you have for iOS to Android , put a little effort into publicizing their availability, and make money.

Rant over.

IainMcNeil -> RE: Android.... grrrrrrr.. (12/8/2015 3:04:01 PM)

Sadly it doesn't work like that ;)

One semi successful indie strategy game doesn't change the fact almost all Android revenue is free to play and iOS is moving the same way. Premium games have a limited life span on tablets the way things are going right now which is a shame. We have very few iOS games in development now because tablets in general are performing poorly. PC is by far the best platform and getting better.

zakblood -> RE: Android.... grrrrrrr.. (12/8/2015 3:17:21 PM)

one reason i bought a windows 10 tablet, cheap, fast and it works with the game i want to play

Kuokkanen -> RE: Android.... grrrrrrr.. (12/8/2015 3:36:36 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Iain McNeil

Premium games have a limited life span on tablets the way things are going right now which is a shame. We have very few iOS games in development now because tablets in general are performing poorly.

I've read an article about this matter. There is not enough of quality control on AppStore (Apple's online store for iOS software) and as a result tons of frak get in there. Many games cost less than $10, and still buyers can feel they got ripped off. Is Android market significantly different?

quote:

PC is by far the best platform and getting better.

PC's equivalent to AppStore, Steam, used to have some quality control. But lately it gets like 5 new games a day. Guess how many of those are high quality titles? How many people unfamiliar with Matrix can find Panzer Corps, Warhammer 40,000: Armageddon, Battle Academy, and rest when new games keep coming daily?

Now this is more based on what I have read than on my own experience. Should I toss money for personal experience to talk about this matter like I know something about it? Anyway many indie game designers look at success of Angry Birds and Minecraft. $$ in their eyes they do something they can and upload it on AppStore, Steam, or the like. And so there are too many games of varying quality, many of them too poor ones.

What used to be before? Back in the 1980's, Roberta Williams and her husband made their first game, Mystery House. They made some copies on floppy disks, traveled around computer stores, and sold copies by themselves they had made. And that game was record breaking success. That was then, this is now.

wings7 -> RE: Android.... grrrrrrr.. (12/8/2015 5:16:32 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: zakblood

one reason i bought a windows 10 tablet, cheap, fast and it works with the game i want to play

Amen to that! And, long live the PC! The best way to play games! [:)]

VPaulus -> RE: Android.... grrrrrrr.. (12/8/2015 5:30:12 PM)

quote:

+1

Mobeer -> RE: Android.... grrrrrrr.. (12/9/2015 6:51:24 PM)

Is Legions of Steel for Android published by someone else, or is there some other reason it does not appear as a product on this site?

Tac2i -> RE: Android.... grrrrrrr.. (12/9/2015 7:19:06 PM)

Yup, love my Surface Pro 3 running Windows 10. For the most part I don't believe the kind of games that Matrix/Slitherine produces would work well on an Apple or Android tablet.

quote:

zakblood -> RE: Android.... grrrrrrr.. (12/9/2015 7:47:57 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mobeer

Is Legions of Steel for Android published by someone else, or is there some other reason it does not appear as a product on this site?

http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=285

76mm -> RE: Android.... grrrrrrr.. (12/11/2015 11:56:28 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Iain McNeil
We have very few iOS games in development now because tablets in general are performing poorly. PC is by far the best platform and getting better.

Actually I'm glad to hear that you're not expending as many resources on tablet games; I buy a lot of computer games but very rarely enjoy games on a tablet--the only Matrix game I really like on my iPad was Quadriga, which was great. Anything more complicated, though, doesn't appeal much to me.

CGGrognard -> RE: Android.... grrrrrrr.. (12/11/2015 2:10:45 PM)

I'm glad I stopped by this forum, for it has helped me in deciding on what I should replace my iPad 2 with. I'm looking at the MS Surface Pro as the replacement.
I'm firmly in the camp that a PC is the right tool for strategy and tactical games. I've tried a few on the iPad and found they are cumbersome at most to play without external keyboard or mouse support. So it's PC for me. [:)]

zakblood -> RE: Android.... grrrrrrr.. (12/11/2015 2:23:00 PM)

i'd love a Surface Pro 4 - 256 GB model, but think the girlfriend would kill me, or chop off something vital[:D][;)]

if i spend anymore on pc stuff this or next year, she says and i'll quote "you have enough toys as it is" well she said it, so looks like i'll be keeping what i have for now, unless a good earner comes up next year, or a lotto win[:D][;)]

then again i could knock off a few GB maybe and have a less naughty version for half the price, something i may have to hide from the lady for a while or say again it's a cheaper model, then again she does google stuff now days so maybe not[X(][8|][:D][;)]

Kuokkanen -> RE: Android.... grrrrrrr.. (12/11/2015 4:16:18 PM)

quote:

i'd love a Surface Pro 4 - 256 GB model, but think the girlfriend would kill me, or chop off something vital[:D][;)]

if i spend anymore on pc stuff this or next year, she says and i'll quote "you have enough toys as it is" well she said it, so looks like i'll be keeping what i have for now, unless a good earner comes up next year, or a lotto win[:D][;)]

One way to counter that argument: sell off some of your old toys, then replace them with new ones.

quote:

then again i could knock off a few GB maybe and have a less naughty version for half the price, something i may have to hide from the lady for a while or say again it's a cheaper model, then again she does google stuff now days so maybe not[X(][8|][:D][;)]

I recommend you Asus hybrid tablets. Those have many features of the Surface series for less cost. Let's see... Asus T100HA 10,1" Touch. Has Windows 10, 10,1" display of 1280x800, Intel x5-Z8500 processor, 4 GB of RAM, only 64 GB mass storage... You can expand that with USB memory devices, like external hard disk drive and DVD drive you know... Oh yes, it has detachable keyboard with touch pad. Cost in Finland and Verkkokauppa.com store is 449,90 €. Google rest of the info if you like what you see.

zakblood -> RE: Android.... grrrrrrr.. (12/11/2015 4:27:17 PM)

thanks

Hertston -> RE: Android.... grrrrrrr.. (1/21/2016 2:05:24 PM)

So after all that we have another game on Android. Panzer Corps? Warhammer Armageddon? Nope, Legion Gold. And no doubt they will tell us how badly it sells again. Pfft...

Anyway, I've just given up and bought a Windows tablet, the dirt cheap but rather excellent Linx 1010. Runs all my wargames stuff with surprising ease, not to mention other strategy games that don't demand too much graphically (Shadowrun Hong Kong, Invisible Inc, Star Ruler 2, Xenonauts). Most need the keyboard of course, but that's largely just the software design not accommodating tablets.

Anyway, a good games platform but for God's sake don't buy it (or I suspect any Windows tablet) for anything else. You just get all the frustrations and 'features'of a Windows PC that are totally unnecessary in a tablet, not least an insistence on updating itself at the most inconvenient times.

DonCzirr -> RE: Android.... grrrrrrr.. (1/21/2016 4:20:50 PM)

Given what I've seen, the success on tablets is not limited to the Trese brothers.

50,000 - 100,000 installs of XCOM?

I like Legion Gold and bought it but have expressed my thoughts as well that this is not a product that will draw a lot of money / new Android customers.

Warhammer 40k would have tapped the attention of GW fans and it looks more modern as well.

Hopefully some titles keep coming from Slitherine on mobile.

It's really convenient to be able to go on the road or sit on the couch (without a keyboard) or laptop and play a game or two.

invernomuto -> RE: Android.... grrrrrrr.. (1/22/2016 9:58:09 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hertston

Runs all my wargames stuff with surprising ease, not to mention other strategy games that don't demand too much graphically (Shadowrun Hong Kong, Invisible Inc, Star Ruler 2, Xenonauts). Most need the keyboard of course, but that's largely just the software design not accommodating tablets.

Anyway, a good games platform but for God's sake don't buy it (or I suspect any Windows tablet) for anything else. You just get all the frustrations and 'features'of a Windows PC that are totally unnecessary in a tablet, not least an insistence on updating itself at the most inconvenient times.

If you need a keyboard to use the software, then I'll buy a laptop instead of a tablet. I do not think the problem is the OS used (iPad, Android or Windows): a game for a tablet shoud be designed specifically for that kind of device, which, usually, has a smaller screen and no keyboard or mouse.
I do not understand the MS policy to "run everything on your tablet, phone, Desktop or Laptop": it does not work, IMVHO.

Kuokkanen -> RE: Android.... grrrrrrr.. (1/22/2016 5:52:59 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: invernomuto

If you need a keyboard to use the software, then I'll buy a laptop instead of a tablet.

Why not something like this?

Rosseau -> RE: Android.... grrrrrrr.. (1/22/2016 10:52:35 PM)

If Ian is correct, that is a good thing, IMO. Was always concerned that Android would lead even publishers like Slitherine into mass market garbage if it was profitable. OTOH, we have so many good PC games out there now, they should last us older folks the rest of our lives anyway.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI