DW:U MODDING: Allowed Races (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Design and Modding

Sargatanus -> DW:U MODDING: Allowed Races (12/28/2015 8:47:57 PM)

I'm trying to design a scenario in the game editor with a race that has access to every tech in the game, including the race-specific ones (I won't bore you with the reasons, let's just saw I'm experimenting with a concept).

I've got the modding guide, but it doesn't really seem to address this and I can't quite figure out the values I'm looking for in the research.txt file itself.

Anyone got some advice here?

Note: I found a workaround floating on Reddit, but it would effectively open up everything to everyone and that isn't exactly what I'm shooting for.

Retreat1970 -> RE: DW:U MODDING: Allowed Races (12/28/2015 11:26:35 PM)

If I understand you correctly... Start a game, pause, open editor, click edit empires, then edit your super race with all techs. You can select tech 7, or select techs individually (even race specific). Save game. Play.

Sargatanus -> RE: DW:U MODDING: Allowed Races (12/29/2015 8:05:01 PM)

No, that's not it at all. So there are some techs that can only be researched by certain races. I want a race that is able to research them all. In the research.txt there's supposedly a line for "allowed races", but I can't seem to locate the right line/variable.

Retreat1970 -> RE: DW:U MODDING: Allowed Races (12/29/2015 8:27:44 PM)

Sorry for misunderstanding. It's in the race folder files, and it's called special component.

Sargatanus -> RE: DW:U MODDING: Allowed Races (12/30/2015 9:41:04 PM)

The workaround I saw was to simply set it to -1 for all races, but then that would just open up everything for everyone. Can I simply add all the values for each restricted tech there without crashing?

Osito -> RE: DW:U MODDING: Allowed Races (12/31/2015 2:35:31 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sargatanus

No, that's not it at all. So there are some techs that can only be researched by certain races. I want a race that is able to research them all. In the research.txt there's supposedly a line for "allowed races", but I can't seem to locate the right line/variable.

If I recall correctly this feature in the research.txt file was added after DW:U release and is not documented in the modding guide.

You need to add a line like this to the relevant research project:

ALLOWED RACES ;race 1, race 2, race 3
... etc.

So the total project might look something like this:

PROJECT ;34, Enhanced Torpedoes, 2, 20, 0, 25, 0, 0.0,
COMPONENT IMPROVEMENTS ;5, 2, 17, 460, 30, 72, 3, 2900, 0,
PARENTS ;33, N
ALLOWED RACES ;Ackdarian, Atuuk, Banoserit, Caleph, Dhayut, Enton

Note this line has the effect that only the 'allowed races' can research the tech. Not sure whether that's exactly what you wanted.

Osito

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI