Quick Question - Periscope Depth (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> The War Room

AlGrant -> Quick Question - Periscope Depth (1/28/2016 5:00:13 PM)

Am I correct in assuming that every time I send a sub up to periscope depth that the masts are automatically deployed (even if I don't want them up) ?

Wondering if there is any way I can put a sub at periscope depth but not actually raise the masts

When searching I found this thread that suggests there may be some changes to sub mast radar cross sections in 1.10 http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/fb.asp?m=3924321 but don't think anything is due to change about masts up/down.

Thanks

Dysta -> RE: Quick Question - Periscope Depth (1/28/2016 5:13:34 PM)

Yes, they're always operational even you're manually disabled all the sensors.

My suggestion to make it have shallow depth without using it, is manually override its depth 1ft deeper than the periscope depth, so to make it non-functional.

mikmykWS -> RE: Quick Question - Periscope Depth (1/29/2016 12:54:22 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: AlGrant

Am I correct in assuming that every time I send a sub up to periscope depth that the masts are automatically deployed (even if I don't want them up) ?

Wondering if there is any way I can put a sub at periscope depth but not actually raise the masts

When searching I found this thread that suggests there may be some changes to sub mast radar cross sections in 1.10 http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/fb.asp?m=3924321 but don't think anything is due to change about masts up/down.

Thanks

No. We don't model down that level of detail. Maybe one day.

AlGrant -> RE: Quick Question - Periscope Depth (1/29/2016 9:39:06 AM)

OK thanks.
Never really been an issue and only got thinking about it when plotting a course through a narrow/shallow channel.

PaulCharl -> RE: Quick Question - Periscope Depth (2/5/2016 8:38:00 PM)

If you think about it there is no point in being so close to the surface if you are not going to stick something up out of the water. That something will always include at least one of the periscopes and the ESM mast (which will detect radar transmissions from well over any visual horizon you will have from a periscope). The radar and ESM are often combined on one mast. I doubt if adding a snorkel to that array of masts will make it much more of a radar target. The only weakness with the current modelling that I can see is that you do not get given a choice about whether to stay on batteries or start up the diesels to recharge. Starting the diesels is the big give-away since your super quiet SSK hole-in-the-water suddenly turns into Farmer Moe's tractor on any local sonar.[8|]

Luidzi -> RE: Quick Question - Periscope Depth (2/6/2016 2:37:35 PM)

I believe that increased acoustic (or thermal) signature when running on diesels is not currently modeled.

magi -> RE: Quick Question - Periscope Depth (2/24/2016 6:47:46 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Luidzi

I believe that increased acoustic (or thermal) signature when running on diesels is not currently modeled.

Really.... I didn't know this....

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI