RE: Defending Meximieux AAR. (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Tigers on the Hunt

xavutrecht -> RE: Defending Meximieux AAR. (2/2/2016 6:16:12 AM)

Turn 6, US phase.
Panther in VP hex in OoC, let’s hope the M10 will be busy with other targets.
The squad adjacent to the M10 managed to scare the crew (small arms fire), crew is deep down the turret (buttoned up) and unable to use its weapons.

BG South, achtung panzer. Enemy armor in sight! 2 M5A1 are moving from the south-west.
[image]local://upfiles/40047/EFCB3F5F2123436BB0B873587698D0A0.jpg[/image]

xavutrecht -> RE: Defending Meximieux AAR. (2/2/2016 6:17:50 AM)

A strong enemy infantry moving from the south. German armor moved to meet the new threat.
[image]local://upfiles/40047/429D0BDEE48147F08CDAA5C580AC55C7.jpg[/image]

xavutrecht -> RE: Defending Meximieux AAR. (2/2/2016 6:18:39 AM)

BG North is securing the village.
M10 was destroyed by the Panther.
Enemy infantry remnant units are spotted west of the village in various state of morale (good order, broken, Broken+). No threat there, I guess they had enough for today.
[image]local://upfiles/40047/C7B464102F674998ADF8A6D3162928A8.jpg[/image]

Enemy armor kept on firing at BG South squads located in the woods, 2 squads lost their morale and hit the dirt (Broken+).

xavutrecht -> RE: Defending Meximieux AAR. (2/2/2016 6:23:58 AM)

Turn 7
The battle is ours. The AI surrendered.
Victory!
[image]local://upfiles/40047/E7FD4A10F64B4BBBA5E22F7A31A886D0.jpg[/image]

I controlled all the VPs, the US force took a beating on this one.
I guess I was lucky.

Time for a coffee break.

Paullus -> RE: Defending Meximieux AAR. (2/2/2016 3:31:56 PM)

Great Posting Xavier [:)]

Peter Fisla -> RE: Defending Meximieux AAR. (2/2/2016 4:45:45 PM)

Outstanding piece of work Xavier, big thank you!!! I very much enjoyed reading it :)

Richie61 -> RE: Defending Meximieux AAR. (2/2/2016 4:56:32 PM)

xavutrecht,

Well done Sir! This really shows how awesome this game is [&o]

xavutrecht -> RE: Defending Meximieux AAR. (2/2/2016 5:04:04 PM)

Thanks gents.

Gerry4321 -> RE: Defending Meximieux AAR. (2/2/2016 5:15:47 PM)

Thanks for the AAR. A few questions.
1. How can the US unit (D+) be seen with FOW on. There are in a forest so I thought they would be hidden until they perform some action?
2. Are the hill hexes the lighter color and is the US MTR on a level 2 hill? On my computer I am struggling to see the different shades of light colors (which seem to be hills).

quote:

ORIGINAL: xavutrecht

Turn1, GE phase. GE admin segment.

I knew it! Mortar unit entrenched on the main hill. Better take care of it, those guy will rain hell on my troops.
One M10 is on the road, it should be an easy prey for my Panthers waiting in the shadows.
Only 2 infantry squads and a leader are within sight. No anti-tank weapons spotted yet, patience.
Nothing on the south side, 2 options either my guys are blind or it’s a big forest.
Let’s roll!
[image]local://upfiles/40047/EB696C8E7FF54F7CA17094796D4E7368.jpg[/image]

Paullus -> RE: Defending Meximieux AAR. (2/2/2016 6:36:16 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gerry

1. How can the US unit (D+) be seen with FOW on. There are in a forest so I thought they would be hidden until they perform some action?
2. Are the hill hexes the lighter color and is the US MTR on a level 2 hill? On my computer I am struggling to see the different shades of light colors (which seem to be hills).

1. The US squad is seen from German units south of the picture as concealment isn't used in TotH, at least for now.

2. Yes the lighter colours are Hills. The Mortar is on a Level 2 Hill.

pad152 -> RE: Defending Meximieux AAR. (2/2/2016 7:38:14 PM)

Questions:

1. Scenario Conf - what is Path Quality?

2. AI placement of units, why is one of the US mortar squads on the front line (ahead of infantry, not behind)?

3. Mortars - do they have direct (LOS) and/or indirect (LOS of other unit(s)) target ability?

Gerry4321 -> RE: Defending Meximieux AAR. (2/2/2016 7:57:50 PM)

Is it a mouse-over to see the contents of a hex?
Thanks.

quote:

Turn 2, GE phase.
GE half-squad rallied, the Panther is no longer shocked. Good.
2 squads from 4th platoon (BG South) went OoC, sure they waited for their beloved leader!
Panther finally got a shot at the M10 and destroyed it. Great job Hans (all my GE tank gunners are called Hans)!

Source HEX: [ 0, 3 ] >>> FIRE VS >>> Target HEX: [ 16, 4 ]
[GE] PzKpfw VG ID#: 7 firing with 75mm
FRONT TURRET PENETRATION
[US] M10 GMC ID#: 1 has been eliminated in HEX: [ 16, 4 ]
[GE] PzKpfw VG ID#: 7 MA Keeps its ROF

The panzer can keep on firing but I will not take the risk of a weapon malfunction.
Time to maneuver now.
Things are moving fast for BG South now, at least one US platoon was spotted. It seemed they are facing some command and control difficulties, only the leader and the 2nd line squad in hex[14, 26] are in command (I unchecked the OoC markers for more visibility).
[image]local://upfiles/40047/43233800B1BF4F0891A552C72689C4D8.jpg[/image]

Paullus -> RE: Defending Meximieux AAR. (2/2/2016 8:00:46 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: pad152

Questions:

1. Scenario Conf - what is Path Quality?

2. AI placement of units, why is one of the US mortar squads on the front line (ahead of infantry, not behind)?

3. Mortars - do they have direct (LOS) and/or indirect (LOS of other unit(s)) target ability?

Good questions lads

1. Path quality is how much CPU power is directed to calculating the best possible path for the AI. There are three settings, from low to high.

2. This Mortar was placed like this historically.

3. They have a direct Fire ability. The Off Board Artillery can in some degree count as indirect target ability.

xavutrecht -> RE: Defending Meximieux AAR. (2/2/2016 8:38:55 PM)

quote:

1. How can the US unit (D+) be seen with FOW on.

The Ge unit with a clear LOS on this US squad is the PzIII/IV south of the main force (BG North). If you look at the pic in post#2 you see a clear LOS between those two hexes.

xavutrecht -> RE: Defending Meximieux AAR. (2/2/2016 8:40:14 PM)

quote:

Is it a mouse-over to see the contents of a hex?

Almost, mouse-over and right-click.

Gerry4321 -> RE: Defending Meximieux AAR. (2/2/2016 9:35:02 PM)

I cannot understand why the defenders had so many units killed but the attackers lost none? You would expect to lose some at least?

Rosseau -> RE: Defending Meximieux AAR. (2/2/2016 10:54:09 PM)

The weapons malfunctions add some tension. Obviously, the rate is relatively historical. Thanks for this.

Richie61 -> RE: Defending Meximieux AAR. (2/3/2016 2:58:58 AM)

quote:

I cannot understand why the defenders had so many units killed but the attackers lost none? You would expect to lose some at least?

Hey Gerry,

I can't speak for xavutrecht, but I would say he managed his forces well. He had units pinned and broken, but he
didn't lose any whole or half squads. He had his units rallied and searching cover when in trouble. The German armor is a tough nut to crack and the M-10's can't go toe to toe with the Axis armor.

Ed

budd -> RE: Defending Meximieux AAR. (2/3/2016 3:06:56 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Paullus

quote:

1. The US squad is seen from German units south of the picture as concealment isn't used in TotH, at least for now.

2. Yes the lighter colours are Hills. The Mortar is on a Level 2 Hill.

what does the not using concealment mean, terrain doesnt matter for spotting? All terrain is treated the same? what about buildings. Can someone expand on this.

xavutrecht -> RE: Defending Meximieux AAR. (2/3/2016 6:05:20 AM)

quote:

I cannot understand why the defenders had so many units killed but the attackers lost none?

I tried to stick to the same MO, infantry moved from cover to cover and out of LOS of the enemy units (as far as possible). I didn't 'overstacked' units unless I was 90% sure it was safe to do so (ie in good cover, no big enemy stacks around, etc... ). Once a squad located some enemy units the armor was called for fire support. It's quite difficult for the infantry to eliminate enemy units, located in cover or entrecnched, by direct fire. I tried to break the enemy squads with lng range fire, my infantry will then close in and try to eliminate the threat either by close combat or by denying withdrawal (ie they surrender I guess).
As soon as one of my squad broke, I moved it back in cover or out of LOS and detached a leader to rally it. If it's not possible or to risky, the broken unit with move out of LOS and stay there for the rest of the game. Guys are cut of their own units and have to stay put (happened with the panzerschreck squad).
I got lucky and eliminated the mortar on the hill early in the game. This weapon is deadly, especially against infantry n open ground.
Long story short, I tried to apply some basic infantry tactics and use my armor as fire support.

This game was played in one go, no going back to a previous save because I was not happy about a result. [;)]

xavutrecht -> RE: Defending Meximieux AAR. (2/3/2016 6:07:05 AM)

quote:

what does the not using concealment mean, terrain doesnt matter for spotting?

As far as I know all units in direct LOS are spotted (no concealment rules like in ASL and it's not Band of Heroes).[:)]

Peter Fisla -> RE: Defending Meximieux AAR. (2/3/2016 11:57:31 AM)

quote:

quote:

what does the not using concealment mean, terrain doesnt matter for spotting?

As far as I know all units in direct LOS are spotted (no concealment rules like in ASL and it's not Band of Heroes).[:)]

Right :)

Gerry4321 -> RE: Defending Meximieux AAR. (2/3/2016 5:02:42 PM)

Thanks Ed and Xavier for your comments. Thanks for the expansion on your technique Xavier. In playtesting I am wondering if the AI has beatan anyone in this scenario as the Amis? Is the AI strong enough? I believe in CMBB you could give it a bonus; is that possible here?

Xavier are you associated with LFT magazine.

quote:

quote:

I cannot understand why the defenders had so many units killed but the attackers lost none?

I tried to stick to the same MO, infantry moved from cover to cover and out of LOS of the enemy units (as far as possible). I didn't 'overstacked' units unless I was 90% sure it was safe to do so (ie in good cover, no big enemy stacks around, etc... ). Once a squad located some enemy units the armor was called for fire support. It's quite difficult for the infantry to eliminate enemy units, located in cover or entrecnched, by direct fire. I tried to break the enemy squads with lng range fire, my infantry will then close in and try to eliminate the threat either by close combat or by denying withdrawal (ie they surrender I guess).
As soon as one of my squad broke, I moved it back in cover or out of LOS and detached a leader to rally it. If it's not possible or to risky, the broken unit with move out of LOS and stay there for the rest of the game. Guys are cut of their own units and have to stay put (happened with the panzerschreck squad).
I got lucky and eliminated the mortar on the hill early in the game. This weapon is deadly, especially against infantry n open ground.
Long story short, I tried to apply some basic infantry tactics and use my armor as fire support.

This game was played in one go, no going back to a previous save because I was not happy about a result. [;)]

xavutrecht -> RE: Defending Meximieux AAR. (2/3/2016 5:31:56 PM)

The AI is strong enough to beat a player, or giving him/her a hard time, if exotic tactics are used. Don't worry.
quote:

Xavier are you associated with LFT magazine.

Nope, I don't even know what it is.

Cheers

Richie61 -> RE: Defending Meximieux AAR. (2/5/2016 6:03:25 AM)

Liked the AAR so much I started playing it as a test [:)]

[image]http://i738.photobucket.com/albums/xx28/Richie61leader/TotH-DM2_zps9gbl2xeo.jpg[/image]

[image]http://i738.photobucket.com/albums/xx28/Richie61leader/TotH-DM1_zpsdlgn1swa.jpg[/image]

xavutrecht -> RE: Defending Meximieux AAR. (2/5/2016 6:52:54 AM)

Mission accomplished.
Enjoy the game.

dox44 -> RE: Defending Meximieux AAR. (2/5/2016 12:03:19 PM)

hey while we are waiting...if you have time, could you play the same scenario from the US side?
and post results as above.

thanks,

Richie61 -> RE: Defending Meximieux AAR. (2/5/2016 3:59:03 PM)

quote:

Mission accomplished.
Enjoy the game.

LOL! Except my game of this scenario isn't going well for me [X(]

Angiel -> RE: Defending Meximieux AAR. (2/5/2016 6:51:06 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: casebier

hey while we are waiting...if you have time, could you play the same scenario from the US side?
and post results as above.

thanks,

What a great idea! I also would like to see the Ai play from the Germans sde.

xavutrecht -> RE: Defending Meximieux AAR. (2/5/2016 8:00:07 PM)

I will try this week-end. No promises though.
Cheers

Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI