Early Game Question (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition

Rayfer -> Early Game Question (3/16/2016 7:03:35 PM)

I'm the Allies, full campaign, 12/25/41 turn....16 British Hurricane fighters show up at Cape Town. Two questions. 1) Suggestions on where to put them? 2) How do I get them transported anywhere? I've experimented with different HQ assignments but can't get them to load on any ship?

obvert -> RE: Early Game Question (3/16/2016 7:12:44 PM)

You should first make sure they are not [R] restricted units. I don't imagine they are showing up off map. If they are you would need to buy them using PPs (political points).

So. If not [R] then create an air transport TF consisting of at least the number of xAK or xAKV as groups you want to move. Then hit load troops and choose the air groups. Then choose destination, likely India at first.

Revthought -> RE: Early Game Question (3/16/2016 7:14:52 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rayfer

I'm the Allies, full campaign, 12/25/41 turn....16 British Hurricane fighters show up at Cape Town. Two questions. 1) Suggestions on where to put them? 2) How do I get them transported anywhere? I've experimented with different HQ assignments but can't get them to load on any ship?

You need to create a "Air Transport" Task Force. These can be composed of xAKs, xAKLs, AKs, and AKVs. Don't worry about the AKVs because you won't have any early war (the advantage of using AKVs is they transport the air frames assembled and they're ready to use as soon as they unload. )

Then, you need to be sure your Air Transport TF is docked. The Task Force cannot load heavy equipment or aircraft it isn't next to the pier and harbor services (like cargo cranes.)

Next just click on "load troops" and you should be able to load the air group (some people might tell you that you need to stand down the air group first, you don't).

When they get where ever they are going, it will take them a few days after they've unloaded to "repair" the aircraft, which is really an abstraction meant to indicate de-crating the planes, putting stuff back together, etc.

As to where to put them, well that's easy... where you need them! I'm not really experienced enough to give you any other placement advice. :D

btd64 -> RE: Early Game Question (3/16/2016 7:30:01 PM)

If I remember correctly the RAF squadron is already attached to a non-restricted HQ. Otherwise, create a air transport TF as mentioned above....GP

HansBolter -> RE: Early Game Question (3/16/2016 7:47:18 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: General Patton

If I remember correctly the RAF squadron is already attached to a non-restricted HQ. Otherwise, create a air transport TF as mentioned above....GP

Yea, it's a Provisional squadron and not restricted.

In a game against the AI you can send it anywhere you're planning to make a stand.

Oosthaven is a great spot for covering shipping moving the III Indian Corps out of Malaya, but there is likely enough Dutch and British air for this purpose already in the vicinity.

Colombo is another good spot as it is kind of bare in the first month or two, but I have never seen the AI make a move on it.

Korvar -> RE: Early Game Question (3/16/2016 7:51:00 PM)

Since I'm playing an Allied campaign and am only in early Jan '42 myself...

I loaded the Hurricanes onto a Chitral class AMC - it seems the whole squadron loaded along with about 2.5k of supplies. I can't recall if I had to reassign the HQ, but mine are assigned to the 224 Group RAF, which is not a restricted HQ. Revthought makes a good point above - make sure your ship(s) are docked, and I would add the suggestion to use the 'verify load' feature. If you're not sure what ship(s) would hold the group, you can add more ships to the TF than needed at first and use the 'Use minimum ships' option at the bottom of the verify load screen to have the TF pared down to only the needed vessel(s).

FYI, I'm just using a Transport TF - without the presence of any AKVs, I'm not sure if it makes much difference other than the Air Transport being a better label. But it works.

As for destination, mine are bound for Chittagong. I have two AVG squadrons in Rangoon that have been chewing up the JAAF - so much so that nine of my top twelve aces are from these two groups with Pappy Boyington leading with 15 kills. So I figure the Hurricanes will help maintain that trend in Rangoon once they have a chance to organize in Chittagong (Rangoon is a bit of a risky port with the steady raids from JAAF planes, even with the AVG LRCAP in place).

Rayfer -> RE: Early Game Question (3/16/2016 8:15:58 PM)

Thanks for the prompt replies everyone. I keep forgetting it's the 'load troops' button for loading aircraft. [&:] Got it done and they are on their way to Calcutta.

obvert -> RE: Early Game Question (3/16/2016 9:35:40 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rayfer

Thanks for the prompt replies everyone. I keep forgetting it's the 'load troops' button for loading aircraft. [&:] Got it done and they are on their way to Calcutta.

The "troops" are the pilots getting the whole ship to themselves with their gear (the planes) packed away in the hold.

HansBolter -> RE: Early Game Question (3/16/2016 9:53:37 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Korvar

FYI, I'm just using a Transport TF - without the presence of any AKVs, I'm not sure if it makes much difference other than the Air Transport being a better label. But it works.

You can use a Transport or an Air Transport TF and can even put xAKs in the Air Transport TF.

The only difference using xAKs instead of AKVs or CVEs is that the planes are dismantled and crated so they arrive disabled.

Delivering aircraft with an AKV, they get strapped down to the open deck, covered in tarps and arrive usable.

Delivering with a CVE allows fly off from outside the port.

Lots of flexibility in method of delivery.

BBfanboy -> RE: Early Game Question (3/16/2016 10:54:26 PM)

One other point: if every you need to transport more than one squadron and want to do it in a single ATTF using minimal ships (one per squadron), do NOT put all the ships in the ATTF empty before loading the first squadron. The game will distribute the squadron across ALL the ships and you will be unable to load the other squadron(s). You must load each squadron individually on a single ship, separate TF and then combine all the TFs into the one ATTF. One of those pain-in-the-butt things but you don't need to do it very often.

guytipton41 -> RE: Early Game Question (3/17/2016 3:40:16 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

One other point: if every you need to transport more than one squadron and want to do it in a single ATTF using minimal ships (one per squadron), do NOT put all the ships in the ATTF empty before loading the first squadron. The game will distribute the squadron across ALL the ships and you will be unable to load the other squadron(s). You must load each squadron individually on a single ship, separate TF and then combine all the TFs into the one ATTF. One of those pain-in-the-butt things but you don't need to do it very often.

Hi BB,

You sure on that? LCUs yes, but air units always load one per transport that I recall.

Cheers,
Guy

BBfanboy -> RE: Early Game Question (3/17/2016 5:33:57 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: guytipton41

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

Hi BB,

You sure on that? LCUs yes, but air units always load one per transport that I recall.

Cheers,
Guy

Well I'll be jiggered! I just tried it and it let me load three squadrons in a TF of three xAKs! Must have been fixed in one of the updates (I did not install the update until last fall and I have not tried the multi squadron move since then. I stand corrected! Thanks for making me re-check.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI