Some newbie questions (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific

Cello700 -> Some newbie questions (5/15/2016 4:48:45 PM)

Greetings,

I must first say that Uncommon Valor had been sitting on my shelf for 10 full years before I finally summoned the resolve to play it. From time to time I would install it, play for about 10 minutes then give up. It's quite intimidating for the newcomer with it's small icons, many options and lack of printed manual![:D] But patience has brought it's rewards and I've started to really enjoy it now. The music is great too, it really conjures up a real pacific war type atmosphere!

Anyway as with 99% of players to a complex game, questions have arisen. My method was to simply dive in and try things for myself with some ALt Tabbing to look at the manual from time to time.

1) Submarine mining. Is mining a hex a cumulative effect? That is if I create a task force of 10 subs and get them to mine 1 hex will they all put their mines there and have in effect a 10x increase in minepower?

2) Sometimes my ground units will show that they have 0 support, when in fact the base they're at is totally supplied and supported. As an example I like to transport some AA regiments by Fast transport to Port Moresby and Gili Gili in the hope of staving off those pesky air raids. I make sure to have bases with plenty of Base Units and HQ units and to supply them adequately, yet to my frustration despite all that when I click on an AA unit it shows it has 0 support and requires, say, about 30 or so! Also how do I know if my AA units are being effective? The Combat Reports don't seem to show much info on this, simply things like "4x Val bombers damaged" etc

3) I also have some trouble with the "Set All" order with aircraft. I like to pound Rabaul and Lae with night time air raids, but when I set one aircraft to Night time operations and then click on the Set All button it doesn't seem to work. I have to manually set orders for individual bomber squadrons to night time attack and this can get pretty tedious when you have 10 or more squadrons trying for night time bombing. Yet for daylight missions the Set All function seems to work. I find this frustrating and confusing.

4) Naval Attack. The game doesn't allow enemy TFs to be targeted individually but how can I make aircraft to be more precise in what they attack? For example how could I get bombers to do night time naval attack on The Slot?

5) Which is the most effective CAP aircraft in the game? The P40 and Wildcat were both outclassed by the Zero performance wise but they were much more robust, so I'm not sure which type to leave the task of CAP too.

5) What is your favorite episode of Gilligans Island?

Anyway that's about the most pressing questions I have, hope someone can help!

bobarossa -> RE: Some newbie questions (5/15/2016 10:34:23 PM)

I played this a lot when it first came out but can't remember enough specifics to answer you. If no one responds in a couple days, you might want to post this over at the War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition forum (but don't put UV in the thread title, that might get it moved back here). That game is based on the UV engine and the players there may know answers that will match UV. I imagine many of them started on UV and may know if there is a difference in play. I have WITP:AE but have barely touched it (due to that intimidating UI).

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI