Taking Moscow - AI Evacuation on Turn 16/17. (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> The War Room

Amnese -> Taking Moscow - AI Evacuation on Turn 16/17. (6/20/2016 6:53:11 AM)

Running through the Road to Moscow scenario, I was on Turn 16 of 17, and was destined once again not to take Moscow. I was bordering the southern hexes of the city, but just couldn't break the defences. Resigned to another loss, I figured I'd have some fun with my Panzers and broke through to the south-east, and exploited around to the east and north-east of Moscow. The Russians still held routes into the city from the north.

To my surprise, this was enough to trigger the AI to completely evacuate the city! They abandoned it entirely on their Turn 16.

Turn 17 rolls around, the final turn of the scenario, and I waltz into the unoccupied city. It seems like a bit of a hollow victory, but it also raises the issue of AI behaviour. At what point will the AI decide to evacuate a city, particularly an important VP city [and capital] like Moscow [in contrast, they held smaller cities in the south despite being completely cut off]?

wga8888 -> RE: Taking Moscow - AI Evacuation on Turn 16/17. (6/20/2016 6:54:00 PM)

I played a game of Operation Typhoon (first portion of Road to Moscow more or less) vs an aggressive human German. He actually surrounded Moscow putting two hex rows between East Moscow an the Russian lines. However he had to pull back due to continuing blizzard and his isolating forces were becoming very fragile. I did put Moscow back in supply but the scenario ended with Germans still on two sides (West and South). All of Moscow remained in Russian hands but Germans had Kalinin, Tula etc and won easily on points. I could push him back on various 5:1 attacks but was taking more casualties.

My suggestion is you are wasting your time playing AI as you are not really playing the game. Its like playing poker with a 5 year old. Sure you can win but what was actually accomplished?

rainman2015 -> RE: Taking Moscow - AI Evacuation on Turn 16/17. (6/20/2016 9:18:56 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: wga

I played a game of Operation Typhoon (first portion of Road to Moscow more or less) vs an aggressive human German. He actually surrounded Moscow putting two hex rows between East Moscow an the Russian lines. However he had to pull back due to continuing blizzard and his isolating forces were becoming very fragile. I did put Moscow back in supply but the scenario ended with Germans still on two sides (West and South). All of Moscow remained in Russian hands but Germans had Kalinin, Tula etc and won easily on points. I could push him back on various 5:1 attacks but was taking more casualties.

My suggestion is you are wasting your time playing AI as you are not really playing the game. Its like playing poker with a 5 year old. Sure you can win but what was actually accomplished?

Completely agree! The AI is terrible, it will abandon cities or great terrain (swamps and rough), it will lead itself hopelessly open to encirclement, etc etc.

I gave up and am now teaching myself the deeper parts of the game (learning more) by playing solitaire with FOW on, so i don't fully know what the enemy looks like before closing, but at least it is human vs human while i learn more and have fun. Playing a campaign game as the Germans vs Bill (WGA that just posted, hi Bill), and I use the solitaire game as filler time and as my first training to play the Soviets, didn't want to play the Soviets vs German AI while i learned, wanted to have to react to a full on German human attack.

Randy
:)

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI