Red Phoenix (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series

wqc12345 -> Red Phoenix (6/20/2016 5:21:49 PM)

Anyone read this from Larry Bond? it's quite good.. enjoying the audio book now. I was thinking this would be a wonderful source for Command scenarios...

mikmykWS -> RE: Red Phoenix (6/20/2016 5:40:17 PM)

Yeah great book and he and Chris Carlson wrote a follow on recently which was pretty good as well. Check it out, buy it.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1519635389/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_1?pf_rd_p=1944687542&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=1501246836&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=QXSS6FA50MXCWT17ETN1

Thanks!

Mike

wqc12345 -> RE: Red Phoenix (6/20/2016 5:44:06 PM)

awesome!! just got it.. thanks Mike!

hellfish6 -> RE: Red Phoenix (6/20/2016 5:59:39 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: mikmyk

Yeah great book and he and Chris Carlson wrote a follow on recently which was pretty good as well. Check it out, buy it.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1519635389/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_1?pf_rd_p=1944687542&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=1501246836&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=QXSS6FA50MXCWT17ETN1

Thanks!

Mike

Hm... I'm tempted, but Bond has become very Clancy-esque since he stopped writing about wars (Red Phoenix, and my favorite, Vortex) and started writing about American Warrior Gods (i.e. action-movie-superhero protagonists) and the conflicts that let them be who they were designed to be.

Is this a protagonist-driven book, or more like his old stuff with episodic characters who are, um, human?

thewood1 -> RE: Red Phoenix (6/20/2016 6:15:15 PM)

I thought this was a good follow-up to the first one.

mikmykWS -> RE: Red Phoenix (6/20/2016 6:32:14 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: hellfish6

quote:

Thanks!

Mike

Hm... I'm tempted, but Bond has become very Clancy-esque since he stopped writing about wars (Red Phoenix, and my favorite, Vortex) and started writing about American Warrior Gods (i.e. action-movie-superhero protagonists) and the conflicts that let them be who they were designed to be.

Is this a protagonist-driven book, or more like his old stuff with episodic characters who are, um, human?

My sense is this one is better. I agree that the genre is pretty shallow these days but by the same token nobody is publishing many military thrillers anymore beyond Clancy's licensing etc.I'd be interested to know if sales and interest are really this dismal.

Mike

springtime -> RE: Red Phoenix (6/20/2016 7:17:01 PM)

I tried a while back to make the chapter dire straits into a single battle

BrianinMinnie -> RE: Red Phoenix (6/20/2016 7:21:41 PM)

I also liked the Dale Brown Dreamland\megafortress Books, but after a while (the first 8 or so) they became more farfetched then even I could handle...:-)

DWReese -> RE: Red Phoenix (6/20/2016 8:06:10 PM)

IIRC, Cauldron was also excellent. It was more battle-war related, as opposed to the protagonist-driven books that you are talking about. It was also interesting to setup and replay a battle based on what was written in the book. Vortex was great, but I have always thought that Cauldron was a little better.

Doug

cf_dallas -> RE: Red Phoenix (6/20/2016 9:27:39 PM)

Vortex was South Africa, Cauldron was Europe, right? Both were good, but Vortex was a lot more plausible.

cf_dallas -> RE: Red Phoenix (6/20/2016 9:27:40 PM)

Vortex was South Africa, Cauldron was Europe, right? Both were good, but Vortex was a lot more plausible.

DWReese -> RE: Red Phoenix (6/20/2016 11:42:47 PM)

Yes to both locations.

There was a huge battle in Cauldron that I really enjoyed. In fact, I'm going to have to go and find that book right now. I'd like to read that part again.

Doug

butch4343 -> RE: Red Phoenix (6/24/2016 9:09:40 AM)

Am surprised no one has mentioned Arc Light, now theres a book that turned a genre on its head!

Buckets of sunshine fly first then the conventional war follows!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Arc-Light-Eric-Harry/dp/0340617551/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1466755864&sr=1-1&keywords=arc+light

Some of those would make good scenarios. As would hacketts world war 3 books

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0450055914/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and I reccently read sixth fleet a single USN CVBG meets 3 Soviet CVGs off South Africa,

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0553294628/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And lastly theres warbirds , A Tac fighter wing vs Iran

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Warbirds-Richard-Herman-ebook/dp/B01FUPN1SW/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1466755999&sr=1-2&keywords=warbirds

Butch

hellfish6 -> RE: Red Phoenix (6/24/2016 6:05:54 PM)

I loved Arc Light. Still read it every other year or so.

Airborne Rifles -> RE: Red Phoenix (6/24/2016 7:49:25 PM)

quote:

I loved Arc Light. Still read it every other year or so.

Agreed, great read.

walsherik -> RE: Red Phoenix (6/25/2016 12:55:30 AM)

Team Yankee or The world War 3 by Gen Sir J Hackett, classic 80's cold war

schweggy -> RE: Red Phoenix (6/25/2016 1:09:40 PM)

Team Yankee; I remember playing Steel Panthers: Modern Warfare (a IGYG, hex based game back in the late '80s) and there was a whole series of battles based on the book.

Good times...

mikmykWS -> RE: Red Phoenix (6/25/2016 3:46:39 PM)

Bought Team Yankee and reread last summer. It still stands up!

Still play SPMBT regularly!

Mike

thewood1 -> RE: Red Phoenix (6/25/2016 4:17:02 PM)

I built out a very rough Team Yankee scenario in Steel Beasts. I didn't have the patience or capability to make it a clean playable scenario, but was able to jump back and for from Soviet to US sides to make it fun. With 4.0 coming out, its very possible to do the full scenario.

DWReese -> RE: Red Phoenix (6/25/2016 4:48:15 PM)

Kevin,

In your last message, you mentioned that "4.0 [is] coming out." What is 4.0?

Doug

cf_dallas -> RE: Red Phoenix (6/25/2016 4:48:43 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: cf_dallas

... Britain out of the EU, rising tide of nationalism in Europe. Ahem. I take it back. Anything is possible.

thewood1 -> RE: Red Phoenix (6/25/2016 6:20:50 PM)

Do a google search on steel beasts 4.0

hawkeye_de -> RE: Red Phoenix (6/26/2016 6:05:59 PM)

I'm wondering why no decent novel is written yet concerning that in Europe we have a somewhat 'mild' cold war...what a pity that Tom Clancy isn't any longer with us....maybe he would have written a successor to RedStormRising (my all time favorite novel) ?

mikmykWS -> RE: Red Phoenix (6/26/2016 6:54:11 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: hawkeye_de

I'm wondering why no decent novel is written yet concerning that in Europe we have a somewhat 'mild' cold war...what a pity that Tom Clancy isn't any longer with us....maybe he would have written a successor to RedStormRising (my all time favorite novel) ?

The Clancy franchise books written by Mark Greaney do (Command Authority and Commander in Chief) but its not what it used to be.

Coiler had a few good thoughts on what's going on with the genre on his blog and linked to another article on it.. Worth checking out here.

My take is that people have a ton of choices now so anybody doing anything entertainment is competing for the same pool of time and must focus on quality. This makes the measure of what gets published is higher. The way around that is self publishing that dumps you into a massive pool where its hard to stand out.

Mike

hellfish6 -> RE: Red Phoenix (6/26/2016 8:07:14 PM)

Every Clancy-esque military novel/technothriller I seem to come across these days is mostly a platform for neocon authors to rant and rave about the state of the world. I'm pretty happy reading historical military books now. Some oldies but goodies from the USN in WWII.

mikmykWS -> RE: Red Phoenix (6/26/2016 8:13:44 PM)

quote:

Every Clancy-esque military novel/technothriller I seem to come across these days is mostly a platform for neocon authors to rant and rave about the state of the world. I'm pretty happy reading historical military books now. Some oldies but goodies from the USN in WWII.

I agree. That is annoying.

Mike

mikkey -> RE: Red Phoenix (6/26/2016 8:42:22 PM)

Thanks for interesting tips on summer reading. Too bad that the some of them (Red Phoenix, Vortex, Fourth Crisis...) is the problem to buy it as a standard book and not only as an ebook[:(].

Rory Noonan -> RE: Red Phoenix (6/27/2016 12:26:10 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: mikkey

Thanks for interesting tips on summer reading. Too bad that the some of them (Red Phoenix, Vortex, Fourth Crisis...) is the problem to buy it as a standard book and not only as an ebook[:(].

I bought The War That Never Was and Sixth Battle as hysical copies off Amazon. Must say I'm enjoying reading a real book for a change!

thewood1 -> RE: Red Phoenix (6/27/2016 12:36:03 AM)

Other than a few reference books, I haven't read a physical book in 5-6 years. I read about a book/novel a week and all from my tablet(s).

cf_dallas -> RE: Red Phoenix (6/27/2016 2:13:19 AM)

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: hawkeye_de

The Clancy franchise books written by Mark Greaney do (Command Authority and Commander in Chief) but its not what it used to be.

Coiler had a few good thoughts on what's going on with the genre on his blog and linked to another article on it.. Worth checking out here.

My take is that people have a ton of choices now so anybody doing anything entertainment is competing for the same pool of time and must focus on quality. This makes the measure of what gets published is higher. The way around that is self publishing that dumps you into a massive pool where its hard to stand out.

Mike

Coiler's post and the article he links to are both really good reads... thanks for posting the link.

Page: [1] 2   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI