RE: Some Suggestions for the Next Patch (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Decisive Campaigns: Barbarossa

lancer -> RE: Some Suggestions for the Next Patch (8/1/2016 11:38:17 PM)

Hi Wadortch & Isokron,

Some interesting feedback there. The south is tough to hold for the Soviets but that's largely due to geography. It's the only objective the Soviets lost in '41.

Hi Franciscus,

Siege artillery has been changed significantly to the current state in order to align it more with what happened on the day (it allowed some pretty gamey, a-historical, tactics before). The Germans only ever managed to deploy it (after Brest-Litvosk) in situations where there was a prolonged attempt at taking a city (eg. Odessa, Sevastopol). It required German gauge rail to operate.

Whether this makes for a good game outcome is an open question. To date you're the only person who has mentioned it whereas in it's previous state there were a multitude of complaints. You can always use Easy mode where it reverts back to the original system but that also negates a lot of other game features so it might not be ideal.

In the absence of further feedback I'm going to go with the numbers on this one.

Cheers,
Cameron

Isokron -> RE: Some Suggestions for the Next Patch (8/2/2016 4:33:27 PM)

Well the old siege artillery was a deathray that made cities easier to take than open ground while the current one removes it from the game. Neither is optimal but the current implementation is less disruptive for the rest of the game.

Franciscus -> RE: Some Suggestions for the Next Patch (8/2/2016 11:18:34 PM)

Yes, that's my point.

Currently siege artillery in normal settings is useless and irrelevant. Why have in the game something that - in the time frame of the game (Barbarossa) - will never be used ? But no big deal, of course !

PS: I finished my game, with a decisive victory, capturing Moscow and Leningrad right before the beginning of Rasputitsa. Great fun. [&o]

Looking back, I was completely reckless with my panzers. PG 2,3 and 4 never had a rest/refit, although I switched them early to sustained offensive stance. I lost more than 2450 panzers !
We get complaints and states of mind from the truck guy up to Hitler himself, but the PG commanders never complain...[&:] And the armygroup leaders all loved me (superb relations)

You would think that after being forced to blow to pieces their panzer divsions (all of the Pz divisions of PG 2 and 3 were on foot at the end of the game) Guderian and Hoth would be kicking Halder's door in a murderous rage...[:D]. It would perhaps be a good addiction to the RPG part of this game that the PG commanders also made complaints or at least "demand" in some way for a rest and refit, what do you think ?

Regards.

lancer -> RE: Some Suggestions for the Next Patch (8/2/2016 11:51:00 PM)

Hi Franciscus,

That's a good idea.

Cheers,
Cameron

RandomAttack -> RE: Some Suggestions for the Next Patch (8/4/2016 4:55:40 PM)

quote:

Currently siege artillery in normal settings is useless and irrelevant. Why have in the game something that - in the time frame of the game (Barbarossa) - will never be used ? But no big deal, of course !

IMO siege arty has always been useless when confined to German gauge-- you simply can't convert rail fast enough to make it useful. And it seems to be designed to counter a self-inflicted problem: Major Garrisons. They are so strong that it's very difficult to defeat them when in cities that you can only attack from 3-4 hex-sides. In my games, Riga almost always gets a major garrison (no matter what settings I use)-- which is completely ahistorical and tremendously slows the advance. For single-player the design has always been to slow down the historical advance any way possible to compensate for the snowball effect that can happen when you finally break through. I've suggested before that the answer is to increase Soviet mass (reinforcements) later in the game rather than trying to stonewall the Germans early. Personally, I mostly play this to get the "feel" of the real Barbarossa. For all that this is a great game, it doesn't "feel" like that to me. I've done some minor modding (reduce major garrison strength, etc.) that has helped some. I wish I was better at modding this so I could tweak some more stuff and add more reinforcements to compensate but it seems a bit beyond me at the moment.

Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI