RE: In case someone is interested on how WIF (no MWIF) is evolving... (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames

Capitaine -> RE: In case someone is interested on how WIF (no MWIF) is evolving... (4/27/2018 12:10:52 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

My copy has arrived! Hussah! [:)]

The box is just too good to open, but I will give it the once over, make sure all components are there, and then it has to be put away as its my birthday present.

Congratulations, man! My anxiety is high awaiting my copy... such a massive product.

AndyG1 -> RE: In case someone is interested on how WIF (no MWIF) is evolving... (4/27/2018 3:25:52 PM)

quote:

The box is just too good to open, but I will give it the once over, make sure all components are there, and then it has to be put away as its my birthday present.

Oh, the timing! I had to e mail the agent to defer sending as I’m just about to fly to uk again and didn’t want the risk of it being left on the doorstep or for pick up with no response from me! Lol, still got something to look forward to on my return in a few weeks time. The you tube videos show what a class product it is.😜👍

warspite1 -> RE: In case someone is interested on how WIF (no MWIF) is evolving... (4/28/2018 5:48:50 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: AndyG1

quote:

Oh, the timing! I had to e mail the agent to defer sending as I’m just about to fly to uk again and didn’t want the risk of it being left on the doorstep or for pick up with no response from me! Lol, still got something to look forward to on my return in a few weeks time. The you tube videos show what a class product it is.😜👍
warspite1

Careful - its a heavy box!

I wonder if there is a spreadsheet that confirms the components (individual not generic) available in the Collectors Edition and those available in all the various expansions? I'd like to see what has changed (and particularly what did not make the final cut).

paulderynck -> RE: In case someone is interested on how WIF (no MWIF) is evolving... (4/28/2018 7:00:00 AM)

Is there a CD in the box? At one point Harry said a CD would be included with a host of game data, but that maybe now is waiting to have a full CE Vassal version included with it.

AndyG1 -> RE: In case someone is interested on how WIF (no MWIF) is evolving... (4/28/2018 7:43:50 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: paulderynck

Is there a CD in the box? At one point Harry said a CD would be included with a host of game data, but that maybe now is waiting to have a full CE Vassal version included with it.

This from the Kickstarter page:-

“and as a special bonus to all advance order World in Flames Collector's edition SuperDeluxe game set buyers, either via ADG's site or this kick starter campaign (first class customers), before October 29 when the advance order period ends, will receive a (virtual) World in Flames companion that includes the technical data behind the game, the graphics of all the maps, counters, charts and rules and a superb Vassal version of the World in Flames collector's edition Deluxe game. Note this is being published after the release of the Collector's edition but is expected to be available within a couple of months of the release of the Collector's edition game itself.”

So it appears to be the Superdeluxe gameset only?

warspite1 -> RE: In case someone is interested on how WIF (no MWIF) is evolving... (4/28/2018 10:01:24 AM)

quote:

quote:

“and as a special bonus to all advance order World in Flames Collector's edition SuperDeluxe game set buyers, either via ADG's site or this kick starter campaign (first class customers), before October 29 when the advance order period ends, will receive a (virtual) World in Flames companion that includes the technical data behind the game, the graphics of all the maps, counters, charts and rules and a superb Vassal version of the World in Flames collector's edition Deluxe game. Note this is being published after the release of the Collector's edition but is expected to be available within a couple of months of the release of the Collector's edition game itself.”

warspite1

Yeah, there's no CD. The components are as per the second of the two videos I posted.

Timian -> RE: In case someone is interested on how WIF (no MWIF) is evolving... (4/29/2018 4:18:49 PM)

For what it's worth, I asked about the Vassal version and was told (by Harry) it would be coming out in the next three months (maybe sooner) . . . Don.

Joseignacio -> RE: In case someone is interested on how WIF (no MWIF) is evolving... (4/30/2018 8:56:30 AM)

quote:

quote:

I have a bad memory, but I believe i read somewhere that it would be for Deluxe as well. Check for updates to that info, just in case.

Grotius -> RE: In case someone is interested on how WIF (no MWIF) is evolving... (5/3/2018 4:38:37 PM)

I keep reading that people are receiving their boxes now, at least of the Deluxe version. Not me! Still waiting.

Centuur -> RE: In case someone is interested on how WIF (no MWIF) is evolving... (5/3/2018 4:47:36 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Grotius

I keep reading that people are receiving their boxes now, at least of the Deluxe version. Not me! Still waiting.

Well, since you did put up residence in The Imperial Palace, I'll advise you to check all 600 rooms. Perhaps it has been mishandled by your staff... [:D]

Grotius -> RE: In case someone is interested on how WIF (no MWIF) is evolving... (5/4/2018 1:42:59 AM)

Good point! Heads will roll.

Joseignacio -> RE: In case someone is interested on how WIF (no MWIF) is evolving... (5/4/2018 7:36:36 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Joseignacio

quote:

quote:

I have a bad memory, but I believe i read somewhere that it would be for Deluxe as well. Check for updates to that info, just in case.

Yes, I thought I had seen something and I was right:

quote:

Extra benefits to all Platinum members (WiF Collector's edition Deluxe owners who purchase the game either via our website (ie here) or via kickstarter).

1) 50% off the hard-mounted Scandinavian map and free freight when printed (expected within 3 months of release of the Collector's edition);

2) 40% discount on the World in Flames Collector's edition (Virtual) companion (includes high quality images of all the counters, maps and rules graphics and text as well as all the technical data and production specs on all the combat aircraft and naval units of world war II), expected to be released within 3 months of of release of the Collector's edition; and

3) Free download of the Beta (development) version of Craig Walter's Vassal version of World in Flames: the Collector's edition when it is ready for testing (expected 3 to 6 months after World in Flames: the Collector's edition is released). The release Vassal version will be available free for all WIF customers after testing is finished (expected approximately 9-12 months after release). The vassal France 40 scenario is already available in the downloads section so you can start playing now.

Orm -> RE: In case someone is interested on how WIF (no MWIF) is evolving... (5/4/2018 10:51:18 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Grotius

I am still waiting as well. [:(]

Orm -> RE: In case someone is interested on how WIF (no MWIF) is evolving... (5/5/2018 6:10:25 AM)

Huzzah!

Christmas is very early this year. I got my package today.

[:)]

MagicMissile -> RE: In case someone is interested on how WIF (no MWIF) is evolving... (5/8/2018 11:31:18 AM)

Hello everyone,

Got mine yesterday. Oh man is it a heavy box full of nice stuff [:)] It´s beautiful but sadly probably will never be played unless I set it up myself one day after retirement.

/MM

Grotius -> RE: In case someone is interested on how WIF (no MWIF) is evolving... (5/9/2018 2:25:36 AM)

Did you guys get any email notice in advance of shipment? Or did the package simply show up unannounced?

warspite1 -> RE: In case someone is interested on how WIF (no MWIF) is evolving... (5/9/2018 7:59:19 AM)

Mine just showed up.

etsadler -> RE: In case someone is interested on how WIF (no MWIF) is evolving... (5/9/2018 11:05:41 PM)

Got mine today! [8D]

Grotius -> RE: In case someone is interested on how WIF (no MWIF) is evolving... (5/10/2018 5:37:46 AM)

Got mine too! I did get an email announcing it had been shipped -- but I received the email after the game arrived. :)

Anyway, it's big and heavy and pretty! But I've been working all evening, haven't had time even to tear off the shrinkwrap. Tomorrow!

Grotius -> RE: In case someone is interested on how WIF (no MWIF) is evolving... (5/11/2018 1:41:50 AM)

So I've unboxed the game; it's a thing of beauty! My main concern now is that my gaming table doesn't fit the main maps if I lay them side by side (with the east edge of one map abutting the west edge of the other). I *can* get them to fit if I lay the maps sideways, so that the south edge of one abuts the north edge of the other. But that's less pleasing aesthetically, and maybe less workable for (solitaire) gaming. I could buy a bigger table, but then I'd have the hassle of getting rid of this already-pretty-big table.

How do you guys arrange the maps on your table?

paulderynck -> RE: In case someone is interested on how WIF (no MWIF) is evolving... (5/11/2018 5:12:02 AM)

Prior to CE I had the maps mounted and mac-tacked onto a 4x8 sheet of 3/4" particle board. The east and west Europe maps are at one end and the Asia/Pacific maps at the other. North end of Europe was at one 4' end and the south end of Asia/Pacific was at the opposite 4' end. The small Americas map and the production spiral were in the middle. This 4x8 sheet was laid across the top of two old kitchen tables (with no leafs inserted in either) which were arranged perpendicular to the 4x8 sheet, with about 18 to 24 inches between them in the middle - so there were eight supporting legs. We had the fleet displays back-to-back on TV tables at the Asia/Pacific end and there was enough room north of Europe for some home-made letter size fleet displays for that theater of operations. They also had space for the US entry chits (for the NZ-Pact) on them.

If I were to set-up CE I'd likely just lay the new maps on top of the old. No question, the game takes up a lot of space.

Joseignacio -> RE: In case someone is interested on how WIF (no MWIF) is evolving... (5/11/2018 10:28:58 AM)

F*ck! I find no reason to buy it, since all my friends who play wif, will, and I am usually moderate in buys, (I.e. I don't buy what I don't need), so I shouldn't buy it, and besides I have not enough place to deploy it and keep it set, and anyway we wouldn't play @my home...

but still something is itching me that "i want this game", ..., and I keep on reading how nice it is and all. [sm=00000023.gif][sm=00000003.gif][sm=sign0063.gif]

Centuur -> RE: In case someone is interested on how WIF (no MWIF) is evolving... (5/11/2018 10:41:30 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Joseignacio

F*ck! I find no reason to buy it, since all my friends who play wif, will, and I am usually moderate in buys, (I.e. I don't buy what I don't need), so I shouldn't buy it, and besides I have not enough place to deploy it and keep it set, and anyway we wouldn't play @my home...

but still something is itching me that "i want this game", ..., and I keep on reading how nice it is and all. [sm=00000023.gif][sm=00000003.gif][sm=sign0063.gif]

Well, josé, you're not the only one here. I've got no room to play the big game in my house. I've got wife, kids and cats who will spoil the fun. The WIF FE is laying around somewhere on the attic (has been there for almost 20 years). And still, something is screaming to me the buy this one. But no, I won't, because I wouldn't be able to play it on the board anymore...

Capitaine -> RE: In case someone is interested on how WIF (no MWIF) is evolving... (5/11/2018 1:14:49 PM)

At last, I received my shipping notice here in America. Expected delivery on the 16th. Cannot wait.

juntoalmar -> RE: In case someone is interested on how WIF (no MWIF) is evolving... (5/11/2018 1:40:16 PM)

I know that feeling Jose. I have been considering even knowing that I have no place at the moment and all my stuff will be packed in a suitcase to move next summer to a different country... So buying now will mean a box in a closet... I think I'll have to pass until I can (at least) enjoy of a place when I can take the box a take a look at it sometimes.

davidachamberlain -> RE: In case someone is interested on how WIF (no MWIF) is evolving... (5/11/2018 3:36:11 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Centuur

Well, josé, you're not the only one here. I've got no room to play the big game in my house. I've got wife, kids and cats who will spoil the fun. The WIF FE is laying around somewhere on the attic (has been there for almost 20 years). And still, something is screaming to me the buy this one. But no, I won't, because I wouldn't be able to play it on the board anymore...

Not to complicate your decision. A number of years ago, I found a brand that made counter magnets that fit WIF counters. With a large sheet of metal (say the size of a pingpong table and enough counter magnets, you could set up a game and lift it off the table and put it up against the wall until the next time you use it. Not a cheap solution, but less than the cost of this game, but it solves most problems. Key to it would be to set up fleet markers.

The brand was "Shield Laminating" with 80 counter magnets per box. I am not sure if they are still in business.

Dave

paulderynck -> RE: In case someone is interested on how WIF (no MWIF) is evolving... (5/12/2018 2:10:21 AM)

And would those magnets have enough oomph to stay in contact with the metal backing sheet after going through an 8th of an inch of cardboard? (The only downside I can think of for having mounted maps!)

Probably want to test some first before investing.

Access to the official Vassal version may be tied in some way to having purchased the game... But that wouldn't stop someone from scanning their copy and making their own Vassal version - if they have a few hundred hours to spare.

davidachamberlain -> RE: In case someone is interested on how WIF (no MWIF) is evolving... (5/12/2018 3:39:09 AM)

quote:

And would those magnets have enough oomph to stay in contact with the metal backing sheet after going through an 8th of an inch of cardboard? (The only downside I can think of for having mounted maps!)

Probably want to test some first before investing.

Access to the official Vassal version may be tied in some way to having purchased the game... But that wouldn't stop someone from scanning their copy and making their own Vassal version - if they have a few hundred hours to spare.

You are right. That is certainly a problem.

I tried with 1 mm (closer to one-sixteenth inch) of cardboard and there is too much insulation for the magnet to catch on the metal.

It would need to be the standard map paper and lamination at most.

That is what I used back in the Final Edition days and it was fine, but the new games will certain have a problem.

Dave

Grotius -> RE: In case someone is interested on how WIF (no MWIF) is evolving... (5/13/2018 7:34:21 PM)

For now, I seem to have solved my map-orientation issues. I've slid stiff plexiglass underneath the maps, allowing me effectively to extend my table a few inches on each side. It seems pretty stable on the whole. I worry mostly about Honolulu, but in the event of seismic activity on the far east end of the map, I can temporarily relocate Nimitz and friends to a safe spot on the ocean floor. :)

Now to start setting up Global War, for solitaire play. This will bring up an even more heart-wrenching moral question: whether to clip the counters. I have my trusty Oregon counter-clippers (in smaller and larger sizes), but the thought of clipping thousands of counters makes my hand hurt. Also, these counters have side-sprues, which might make the need for clipping less acute. I will probably resolve this dilemma when I start setting up my first country.

Another question: which optionals? I know that's a huge topic, but if anyone has some quick thoughts on optionals for CE, I'm all ears. I play with most of the MWiF options; I usually don't play with Cruisers in Flames. I'm open to suggestions.

Timian -> RE: In case someone is interested on how WIF (no MWIF) is evolving... (5/13/2018 8:31:07 PM)

See at the second to the last page of the Rule book / The “green” colored Optional Rules are the ones Harry Rowland recommends folks play with . . . Don.

Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI