Tutorials For New Players (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Decisive Battles: Korsun Pocket

John David -> Tutorials For New Players (4/16/2003 1:20:32 AM)

Hi,

I was wondering if there will be tutorials for new players of KP.

I have experience with games like SPWAW and UV, but not much at all when it comes to "board type" games.

I did play the original version, but never played it very well, so I hope that the tutorials for KP will help me better understand how to play this type of wargame as opposed to the other types I mentioned above.

I have wanted to try other types of "board type" games such as the Talonsoft Operational Art Of War and some of the John Tiller games, but as I stated above, I have very little experience with these type of games. I want to buy and learn hoe to play the board style war game, but I am not sure which one to start with that will be easiest for me to learn how to play this kind of game.

Can anyone recommend a good game in this style for a beginner and that comes with a good manual and tutorials. Do you think KP will be a good game for me to learn with.

Any help and advice will be appreciated .

Thanks

JD

U2 -> Re: Tutorials For New Players (4/16/2003 1:54:27 AM)

[QUOTE]Originally posted by John David
[B]Hi,

Can anyone recommend a good game in this style for a beginner and that comes with a good manual and tutorials. Do you think KP will be a good game for me to learn with.

Any help and advice will be appreciated .

Thanks

JD [/B][/QUOTE]

Hi

I think you'll find the engine for this game to be perfect for this type of a game. It's easy to learn and fast to play so it does not take too long to get into it. I bought TAO back in the days but never really got into the game until I tried the free TAO2 version....

I don't think I would call this a "bord game" since it's much more than a computer version of simple board games....

I've tried HPS's games too and they are much more complicated, less fun and without the attention to graphics this game will have. Graphics is not a big deal but I would lie if I said that I did not care. I'm gonna pay 50 bucks for this game so I do expect something. The screenies I've seen so far looks darn good.

In short I think KP will be the perfect game for you to start with based on my TAO/TAO2 experience and the new features and improved graphics promised for KP.

Pawlock -> (4/16/2003 2:57:57 AM)

KP if it is anything like TAO will be very easy to play and learn. The interface is very simple, and easy to use compared to others out there.

If you have had experience of UV then this should be ever so simple.

IMO it would be an ideal learners game to wargaming, even if it doesent ship with a tutorial( not sure if it will or not).

If I was to grade complexity and learning curve for games, based solely on my own experiences on scales of 1 to 10 with 1 being easy to learn I would rate

TAO - 3

UV - 6

HPS PZc's 7-8

Remember just my perception though, but hope it gives you an insight to perhaps the KP.

Fred98 -> (4/16/2003 4:51:31 AM)

"Can anyone recommend a good game in this style for a beginner "

TAO2, the original game, is a free download. Unfortunately it won't run under WIN XP or WIN NT or WIN 2000.

KP has added features but basicaly its the same game.

John David -> (4/16/2003 5:43:41 AM)

Thanks guys for your help.

Joe, I have the TAO2 free game that you mentioned and I did play it while I ran Win '98, but as I said, I wasn't very good at it as I found that to get to capture all the hexes that you had to to win a scenario, I always ended up a turn or 2 short.

In a way, I found the game more like a puzzle then a wargame.
Sort of like the way the old 5 Star series of games like Panzer General and Allied General were like, where as games like Steel Panthers, SPWAW and UV, to me at least, seem more like simulations based on strategy and tactics.

However, I would like to try KP when it comes out, and you guys all seem to think that it is a good place to learn this type of game.

U2, I use the term board game only in that TAO and the other games like that use the counters that we are all familiar with that played any of the old wargames from Avlon Hill and other similar games. There are quite a few of these type games that are now computer versions, some which were mentioned above.

I will buy KP when it comes out and try to learn it before I decide to buy any other of these type of games. If any one can suggest any other games of this type for a new player to this style of wargame, please let me know.

Thanks again to all 3 of you for your help and advice.

JD

John David -> Correction! (4/16/2003 8:34:52 AM)

Sorry, I meant to write Avalon Hill games, not Avlon Hill!:rolleyes:

JD

Fred98 -> (4/16/2003 9:27:16 AM)

I can also recommend the World at War series made jointly by Avalon Hill and Atomic and another game called The Operational Art of War (“TOAW”).

Both of these games started in the early 1990’s and both have:
Hex based games
Battallion sized units
One kilometre to the hex

As it turns out Matrix is now developing Battlefields, which is intended to take the best features from both of these games, and to take advantage of modern computing power, to make a new game.

The W@W series can now be downloaded from the Underdogs site. Do a search and try “Underdogs” and “the Underdogs”

Of the 3 W@W games, I prefer Crusader. And the patches of all 3 can be downloaded from [url]www.avalonhill.com[/url]

e_barkmann -> (4/16/2003 6:57:21 PM)

John,

Korsun Pocket will come with a Tutorial scenario containing 9 separate lessons, so there will be plenty of opportunity to get used to the game system before embarking on the included scenarios.

I think you will also get good support from other players here in the forum if you have any questions. I have noticed over the years that the "TAO'ers" are a calm, friendly, intelligent bunch.

Quality wargames attract quality people :-)

Regards, Chris

John David -> (4/17/2003 2:03:16 AM)

Thanks to both Joe & Chris for your advice.

Joe, one thing, I have heard that TOAW is a bit difficult for a new player of this type of game. I have looked at it at the Talonsoft site and it seemed to be a very big game. Also, the TOAW games don't run in XP from what I saw at the site.

I read the reviews for the TOAW at the Wargammer site and it was given very good reviews, but again, it seemed to be for more experienced players of this type of wargame.

Joe, I will look for the other games you mentioned.

Chris, it's great news about the lessons that are going to be included with KP. I definitely will purchase the game. As far as the help that is available here on the Matrix forums, I have had nothing but positive experiences in both helping others and getting help myself. The folks here on the forums are top notch and your help and Joe's is a perfect example of that.

Thanks guys,

JD

e_barkmann -> (4/17/2003 9:07:32 AM)

John

- for your interest, we have a discussion on tactics and a replay of a KP scenario going on currently at:

[URL=http://stuff.robjess.com]The War Room[/URL]

You should get a taste for what the new game system is like.

Regards, Chris

BrubakerII -> small correction (4/17/2003 1:29:43 PM)

Chris

Unless I am horribly mistaken, there are 8 lessons in the tutorial :p

John I don't think you will be dissapointed with this game. I remember long ago when I first downloaded TAO2 (on Joe's advice) and to be honest, I thought it was a little simple. This was because I was used to the complexity of some of the other titles out there. After playing a while however, I then relaised that the game is as complex as many others, but hides this complexity from 'noobies' until they are ready to study up on it.

This is the real beauty of the TAO system - one one hand you can jump right in and have fun without knowing a single thing about the game, and on the other hand read up bit by bit in the manual improving your gameplay and getting even more out of the game. Much like chess; learning the moves is quite simple but mastering them takes forever. (I didn't mean to get you started on chess again Joe :p )

Brubaker

Fred98 -> (4/17/2003 3:00:56 PM)

Bru,

I have been playing a bit of chess lately live against a human - and losing admirably :(

Rob Gjessing -> (4/17/2003 7:36:18 PM)

TAO (or should we be calling this collection of games Decisive Battles of WWII?) is quite easy to get into.

I think it really has the right mix of good graphics - which as we all know arent always present in these types of games - easy to get into, and has the depth of the Atlantic Ocean.

I have spent sooo many hours on TAO2 and my biggest frustration at the moment is I cant play anyone else at Korsun Pocket (apart from Chris really) until its released.

I can not express how **** frustrating it is.. I want to play more and more and more but I cant because of the lack of opponents right now. Infact I keep checking my email hourly to see if Chris has returned his turn yet..

I seriously can not wait until I can have PBEM games with you all.. I know you are all going to love it as much as I am..

This game has real depth and is a real joy to play. Its going to appeal to newbie who are discovering turn based strategy games and its going to appeal to all those experiences bods who are gonna whoop my arse!

John David -> (4/19/2003 10:11:03 AM)

Thanks to all of you for your help and encouragement.

I will purchase KP when it comes out, and I know that I can get help here anytime at the Matrix forums.:cool:

Thanks again,

JD

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI