New Ships with Old Names (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition

101Man -> New Ships with Old Names (8/17/2016 2:18:56 AM)

Ok, July '43 now...in a short amount of time I receive the CV "Yorktown II"...problem is CV-5 is still afloat...I understand the real=life situation but it appears there wasn't a naming priority list in the game's programming. Will I have two Yorktowns zipping about? Can I use them in a tag-team?

BillBrown -> RE: New Ships with Old Names (8/17/2016 2:29:45 AM)

You can rename Yorktown II to anything you want if you do it before it arrives.

Reg -> RE: New Ships with Old Names (8/17/2016 4:18:45 AM)

You will notice that the ship name is yellow (while it is still in the reinforcement list) which means you can click on it and type in a new name. [:)]

101Man -> RE: New Ships with Old Names (8/17/2016 4:39:11 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Reg

You will notice that the ship name is yellow (while it is still in the reinforcement list) which means you can click on it and type in a new name. [:)]

Thank you.

I am glad you know the game manual. Where in the manual does it say this? I read it cover to cover but I must have missed this section. I think I will rename her Saratoga II as that's the only CV I've lost.

Bullwinkle58 -> RE: New Ships with Old Names (8/17/2016 5:49:11 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: 101Man

quote:

Thank you.

I am glad you know the game manual. Where in the manual does it say this? I read it cover to cover but I must have missed this section. I think I will rename her Saratoga II as that's the only CV I've lost.

I'm not sure it's in the manual. A lot of things aren't. Some things are in the patch notes; those are a long read.

Yellow text is usually (always?) a hot point in the game interface. Clickable. Many ships can be renamed while in the Allied queue. Subs and DDs too. I usually name mine after old girlfriends, places I've lived, or things that amuse me. I have a new CA heading for the battle zone right now: USS Area 51.

Korvar -> RE: New Ships with Old Names (8/17/2016 6:18:40 AM)

You need up to four names if all the originally-named ships survive. Leyte, Oriskany, Reprisal, Valley Forge, Iwo Jima, and Philippine Sea were all used (or were planned to be) for the Essex class.

I like the keep the Revolutionary War theme going as long as possible. In my current game I have lost one carrier so far and am planning to use the names Concord, Trenton, and Valley Forge for the 'unnamed' carriers. All are solid names with good histories: (Lexington and) Concord, Trenton (crossing of the Delaware), Valley Forge (surviving the winter). Another consideration is to use important victories in your campaign as naming material - just as it was done historically (Midway, Iwo Jima, Philippine Sea, Leyte, etc.).

Unless the name is too long for the character limit, I'll usually type the name after the existing placeholder name; for example, 'Wasp II Valley Forge'. Then if the original carrier is lost before the new one is commissioned, I have two names for consideration ready to go. Just don't forget to rename it if you decide to follow the same practice - otherwise you'll have an odd-sounding ship name in the fleet.

Chris21wen -> RE: New Ships with Old Names (8/17/2016 7:55:39 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: 101Man

quote:

Thank you.

He never said it was. The ability to do this was introduced way after the manual was printed by a patch and if you look in the readmes you should find it.

LargeSlowTarget -> RE: New Ships with Old Names (8/17/2016 8:29:45 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58

I usually name mine after old girlfriends, places I've lived, or things that amuse me. I have a new CA heading for the battle zone right now: USS Area 51.

You have lived in Area 51? [;)]

Being the dirty old man that I am, I find amusement in countering the IJN's DD Asagao with the USS Morning glory.

Bullwinkle58 -> RE: New Ships with Old Names (8/17/2016 5:08:29 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: LargeSlowTarget

quote:

I usually name mine after old girlfriends, places I've lived, or things that amuse me. I have a new CA heading for the battle zone right now: USS Area 51.

You have lived in Area 51? [;)]

Can't say. Signed some paper or other . . . [:'(]

BillBrown -> RE: New Ships with Old Names (8/17/2016 5:13:56 PM)

I think his old girl friend that lived in area 51 amused him. [:D]

Bullwinkle58 -> RE: New Ships with Old Names (8/17/2016 5:25:46 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: BillBrown

Ex-wife. [:'(]

She's in there too. Let's just say that DD is going in harm's way.

dave sindel -> RE: New Ships with Old Names (8/17/2016 5:33:06 PM)

quote:

quote:

Ex-wife. [:'(]

She's in there too. Let's just say that DD is going in harm's way.

That's funny... loved it

dcpollay -> RE: New Ships with Old Names (8/17/2016 9:54:42 PM)

quote:

He had 51 old girlfriends in the area???

geofflambert -> RE: New Ships with Old Names (8/18/2016 5:06:28 AM)

quote:

You can rename Yorktown II to anything you want if you do it before it arrives.

I highly recommend calling her the USS Poughkeepsie.

BBfanboy -> RE: New Ships with Old Names (8/18/2016 5:30:13 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Colonel Mustard

quote:

He had 51 old girlfriends in the area???

I took it to refer to secret regions forbidden to trespass and severe penalties for trying ...[:-]

Jorge_Stanbury -> RE: New Ships with Old Names (8/18/2016 1:47:22 PM)

Would the Japanese opponent see the new name? I am talking of course PBEM...

I am thinking on some funny naming ideas if that is the case

blueatoll -> RE: New Ships with Old Names (8/18/2016 4:16:34 PM)

I follow the naming traditions of WWII largely.
1. CAs are named after state capitals or very large cities (CA Dover, CA Des Moines, CA Tallahassee, etc.)
2. CLs are named after smaller cities who have a big impact on the war (CL Quad Cities, CL Beaumont, CL Coeur d'Alene, etc.).
3. CVs follow the naming tradition of being named after early USN warships (CV Commerce, CV Congress, CV United States, etc.).
4. DDs and DEs are named after famous people (I try to stick with people who have military service in their background) that have died although I do have a DD Mix (Tom Mix was a western movie star who died during the Coconut Grove fire which was a benefit for the Army/Navy fund).
5. Subs are named after fish or other aquatic creatures (I have had a SS Sea Cucumber Gato class sub and a SS Starfish Balao class sub).

Bullwinkle58 -> RE: New Ships with Old Names (8/18/2016 4:32:24 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jorge_Stanbury

Would the Japanese opponent see the new name? I am talking of course PBEM...

I am thinking on some funny naming ideas if that is the case

If they pay attention to the CRs, yes.

Bullwinkle58 -> RE: New Ships with Old Names (8/18/2016 4:34:40 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: blueatoll

5. Subs are named after fish or other aquatic creatures (I have had a SS Sea Cucumber Gato class sub and a SS Starfish Balao class sub).

I have some of the Minnesota-specific fish in my named subs. USS Crappie is a fave. (You have to be from here to pronounce it correctly.)

But I also have a Balao-class, USS Gusburger, named after a beloved UVA late-night delicacy. So you can have some fun with names.

blueatoll -> RE: New Ships with Old Names (8/18/2016 5:21:48 PM)

quote:

I have some of the Minnesota-specific fish in my named subs. USS Crappie is a fave. (You have to be from here to pronounce it correctly.)

Crappie = Croppee for those US Freshwater Fish challenged out there...

AW1Steve -> RE: New Ships with Old Names (8/18/2016 8:48:06 PM)

I'd recommend that you check for other uses of the name that's unexpected. For instance Trenton is already used as a cruiser. And you might wind up with two Langley's.

Frankly I like old names of the Colonial/early USN that are adjectives. Especially those that have "vindictive" conations. (No , not Vindictive , that's a Brut name). Names like Reprisal, Retaliation , Revenge and names of that nature. But I am considering "Whoopass" just because it's different. [:D]

blueatoll -> RE: New Ships with Old Names (8/18/2016 9:30:26 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: AW1Steve
But I am considering "Whoopass" just because it's different. [:D]

That would need to be a DE or DD so it could be one of the last tin cans of 'Whoopass'...

Korvar -> RE: New Ships with Old Names (8/18/2016 9:41:38 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: AW1Steve

For instance Trenton is already used as a cruiser.

Ooooh - good catch, thanks.

I was considering Oriskany as well but I think of it as more Vietnam era, even though the name was intended to be used in WW2. I'll rename the carrier Java Sea - it's where I sent a good chunk of the KB to the bottom in my current campaign. Seems fitting.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI