Wargame Design Studios launched (Full Version)

All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion

spelk -> Wargame Design Studios launched (8/24/2016 9:35:02 AM)

The WDS guys have now got an official website (still in beta)

http://www.wargamedesignstudio.com/

"A global co-operative dedicated to building the games we want to play.

We’re focused on John Tiller’s Panzer Battles game system currently and have some pretty grandiose plans for the future!"

Check out this post at Grogheads:

http://grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=17695.0

Or this at Real and Simulated Wars:

http://kriegsimulation.blogspot.co.uk/2016/08/exciting-new-developments-at-john.html

For more info..

MrsWargamer -> RE: Wargame Design Studios launched (8/24/2016 12:41:59 PM)

Hmm very nice looking over all.

wings7 -> RE: Wargame Design Studios launched (8/24/2016 2:06:28 PM)

Impressive...and our own 'Robert Osterlund (Berto)' "is joining WDS as lead programmer and architect", a win-win project! [:)]

aaatoysandmore -> RE: Wargame Design Studios launched (8/24/2016 4:10:01 PM)

I'm from missouri. [:D]

warspite1 -> RE: Wargame Design Studios launched (8/24/2016 5:22:22 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: spelk

We’re focused on John Tiller’s Panzer Battles game system currently and have some pretty grandiose plans for the future!"

http://kriegsimulation.blogspot.co.uk/2016/08/exciting-new-developments-at-john.html

For more info..
warspite1

So when does Mediterranean War 1940-43 come out?

operating -> RE: Wargame Design Studios launched (8/24/2016 6:12:27 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: spelk

For more info..

Be watching for the news...

Jafele -> RE: Wargame Design Studios launched (8/24/2016 9:56:27 PM)

Great news![sm=00000436.gif]

Agathosdaimon -> RE: Wargame Design Studios launched (8/31/2016 11:32:34 AM)

i apologise for what may be a dumb question but i dont quite understand what WDS is about - you are making games for john tiller at the moment, or just modding them or you are collaborating with wargame makers creating something of a wargame creation supergroup?

okay, i understand now - i ust read the kriegsimulation post and that explains what WDS is all about - it sounds great!

will there be other time periods covered also?

Strelaoz -> RE: Wargame Design Studios launched (8/31/2016 5:21:33 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Agathosdaimon

Hi Agathosdaimon,

For the moment we're focused exclusively on Panzer Battles. Currently all our projects (for the moment) will be WW2 settings.

We are posting 'news' weekly at our site - usually on a Friday.

Thanks,

David

hellfish6 -> RE: Wargame Design Studios launched (8/31/2016 6:24:45 PM)

They're updating old games of battles we've fought a hundred times in other games?

Boring.

wings7 -> RE: Wargame Design Studios launched (8/31/2016 6:35:52 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Strela1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Agathosdaimon

Hi Agathosdaimon,

For the moment we're focused exclusively on Panzer Battles. Currently all our projects (for the moment) will be WW2 settings.

We are posting 'news' weekly at our site - usually on a Friday.

Thanks,

David

Sounds good David...I will check it out! [:)]

wodin -> RE: Wargame Design Studios launched (8/31/2016 7:12:03 PM)

I'm more than happy to play any battle in WW2 infact happy to say play wargames set during the well trodden ground of The Bulge IF the game is doing something new\unique it really doesn't matter. It's stale old game mechanics that is boring and not really what battle it is. Anyway I for one wish WDS good luck for the future. I also hope if they actually develop ttheir own game at some point from the ground up that they think outside the box and get some unique features\mechanics. Even little old me has two or three wargame ideas rattling around my head that aren't like anything developed..so I think the possibilities are out there, just takes people with the talent to turn ideas into games.

quote:

ORIGINAL: hellfish6

They're updating old games of battles we've fought a hundred times in other games?

Boring.

hellfish6 -> RE: Wargame Design Studios launched (8/31/2016 8:37:25 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: wodin

I'm more than happy to play any battle in WW2 infact happy to say play wargames set during the well trodden ground of The Bulge IF the game is doing something new\unique it really doesn't matter. It's stale old game mechanics that is boring and not really what battle it is. Anyway I for one wish WDS good luck for the future. I also hope if they actually develop ttheir own game at some point from the ground up that they think outside the box and get some unique features\mechanics. Even little old me has two or three wargame ideas rattling around my head that aren't like anything developed..so I think the possibilities are out there, just takes people with the talent to turn ideas into games.

quote:

Boring.

I think every wargamer has an idea of their ideal game, but very few will have the time/fortune/luck/opportunity to do anything with it.

I'm still keeping my fingers crossed that Road to Moscow will eventually get finished. It's only been 20 years...

wodin -> RE: Wargame Design Studios launched (8/31/2016 9:51:20 PM)

hellfish, some of my ideas aren't actually my ideal game full stop. Not sure I actually have a ideal game. Now certain features I really want to see at certain scales however I also want something new. As if wargames first came into being with the advent of the computer and never had board wargames..to see how they'd turn out like. Recent games like Decisive Campaigns Barbarossa really succeeded in thinking about a wargame differently to some degree. Panthers series was also a wargame doing something new and I suppose the major new feature that had a big impact was WEGO. Flashpoint Campaigns uses it to good effect and so do the Combat Mission games. As I said I have two or three game ideas that look and would play unlike anything out there. Ceryain things I think could be made mor euse of i.e text for instance....text to be used not only as a core mechanic but also for immersion purposes. Think of what a commande ris doing when new intyel and radio reports come in..he is reading them, then planning through the information he gathers..like a dectecive in a way..he has his reports he has his maps and one big map (game map) that gets updated as reports come in, he then has runners and radio reports, sometimes with confusing info..sometimes panicked radioman..and so his map gets updated..however under the hood of the game there is a wargame being played out. You as commander have to decipher whats going on..send out new orders...maybe you can go to a particular area to see for yourself, then yoru away with even limited intel coming through and no real way to respond..so you only go check in a real emergency. Start of the agme is where you had planned out all the moves and attacks and times etc..here we have a wargame that could be very intense with probably little in the way of visuals but loads in the way of tension..and if the text is immersive enough the better..plus make sure the game has LOADS of different responses so it doesn't repeat that often. Maybe you actually pick the soldiers for the platoons, give out awards say platoon leaders have stats or some good at one thing others at another..they get wounded or killed..get citations, maybe your star hero gets promoted out..or killed\wounded\mia etc..again through in a sort of man management aspect\feature. Call I a football manager wargame feature. Or you could do a Sims like game but say set during WW1..you actually design the trench systems etc etc..you may have just finished a perfect set up only to be moved to a dire part of the front. Si that's two different games straight off...

hellfish6 -> RE: Wargame Design Studios launched (8/31/2016 10:23:24 PM)

I just want an operational level wargame without hexes (or squares or tiles or whatever). Bonus points if it's on a Joint Operations Graphic or similar chart.

I'm holding out that the team behind Command Modern Naval/Air Operations pulls through for me at some point in the future.

wodin -> RE: Wargame Design Studios launched (8/31/2016 11:09:41 PM)

Old but prob Decisive Action may fit the bill?

Agathosdaimon -> RE: Wargame Design Studios launched (9/1/2016 2:43:34 AM)

quote:

I just want an operational level wargame without hexes (or squares or tiles or whatever). Bonus points if it's on a Joint Operations Graphic or similar chart.

I'm holding out that the team behind Command Modern Naval/Air Operations pulls through for me at some point in the future.

are you think something like command ops, but at Decisive Campaigns Level?

i am interested to see what WDS will be adding to the tiller system. I have quite alot of tiller games of various periods, i have fun with them and have found the Fulda Gap one quite a challenge

hellfish6 -> RE: Wargame Design Studios launched (9/1/2016 5:35:13 PM)

I've not played Decisive Campaigns, so I don't know. But a high-fidelity land ops component for Command is about the best thing I see on the horizon.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI