Diamond Icon (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition

MakeeLearn -> Diamond Icon (9/13/2016 3:21:12 AM)

What are the diamond icons on map?
Minefields maybe? I've only seen them at ports so far.

Anachro -> RE: Diamond Icon (9/13/2016 3:24:02 AM)

minefields, yes.

MakeeLearn -> RE: Diamond Icon (9/13/2016 3:25:51 AM)

Thankyou.

geofflambert -> RE: Diamond Icon (9/13/2016 5:14:33 PM)

Red Japanese, green Allied.

dave sindel -> RE: Diamond Icon (9/13/2016 7:31:19 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

Don't the minefield icons represent the color of the nation that laid the field? I've seen brown icons from British minelaying subs. And pretty sure I've seen a blue one as well, though not sure how that would have happened. I'm not in front of the game to do a screen shot...

geofflambert -> RE: Diamond Icon (9/13/2016 7:49:20 PM)

You're right, but the game engine gets confused a lot. At the beginning of DBB-C scenario 28 the minefield at Singapore is green. Just checked and the minefield at Columbo is brown. Same thing happens with possession flags on bases. Some insignificant US unit is present when a base is taken, say in Burma, but instead of a Commonwealth flag you get a US flag. Whatever.

wdolson -> RE: Diamond Icon (9/14/2016 3:23:02 AM)

If I remember right the mine icon color is the same as the national ownership of the base. When a base is taken, ownership is decided at random from the nationalities of the units present.

You can see the mine icon in the ART folder. Look at the mapiconsxx files. The mine icon is the third icon in the file. It isn't really a diamond, it's actually a sea mine symbol, but it gets so small when put on the map it looks like a diamond.

Bill

TOMLABEL -> RE: Diamond Icon (9/14/2016 3:28:43 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: wdolson
If I remember right the mine icon color is the same as the national ownership of the base. When a base is taken, ownership is decided at random from the nationalities of the units present.
Bill

Yes, Bill is correct.

TOMLABEL

BBfanboy -> RE: Diamond Icon (9/14/2016 8:07:55 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: TOMLABEL

quote:

ORIGINAL: wdolson
Bill

Yes, Bill is correct.

TOMLABEL

Unless this was changed in the Beta, it is not so random. The HQ of the first unit in the stack is what decides the ownership of the base. So if you have an Australian unit reporting to SWPAC HQ, the US flag goes on. Since US units are first in any stack (because of their lowest index numbers in the db), they will take the bases in most areas they operate in.

BBfanboy -> RE: Diamond Icon (9/14/2016 8:11:11 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: dave sindel

quote:

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

Don't the minefield icons represent the color of the nation that laid the field? I've seen brown icons from British minelaying subs. And pretty sure I've seen a blue one as well, though not sure how that would have happened. I'm not in front of the game to do a screen shot...

I have noticed on my particular system that when i move the map left or right and watch the mine icon at any particular base, it changes colour with each shift. I had the mines at Bataan on Turn 1 go through every national colour in this quirk. It can be frustrating if it leads you to believe there are enemy mines there when it is really just your own minefield. If you get the port centred on the map the colour is correct.

dave sindel -> RE: Diamond Icon (9/14/2016 12:42:24 PM)

I checked last night and the blue mine icon that I'd noticed previously is at Tarawa - which has a US Flag as its base ownership identifier. Forgot to do a screen shot though.
I guess the rule of thumb might be "if it's not red, it's Allies" ?

geofflambert -> RE: Diamond Icon (9/14/2016 1:31:37 PM)

What about the mines? Why is the minefield green at Singapore on Dec. 7? Was the USN trying to sink UK ships?

Anachro -> RE: Diamond Icon (9/14/2016 2:21:35 PM)

Yes, red is only Japan. Any other color is allies. Rule of thumb.

chemkid -> RE: Diamond Icon (9/15/2016 10:51:43 AM)

HansBolter -> RE: Diamond Icon (9/15/2016 11:58:00 AM)

I thought diamonds represent the direction an LCU is moving.

Stars or glorified asterisks represent minefield.

Anachro -> RE: Diamond Icon (9/15/2016 12:17:36 PM)

Hans, the icons are so small I can't tell. My eyes are getting bad it my old age (26). [:D] As wdolson mentioned earlier, the minfield icon is not actually a diamond, but a small sea mine symbol.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI