Messages via Lua or the Log? (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Mods and Scenarios

kevinkins -> Messages via Lua or the Log? (9/19/2016 1:36:35 AM)

Is there a standard convention for the type of message the designer should place in the message log vs. in a Lua message box. My thinking is the message box is used for the most critical material. It's "in your face".

ScenEdit_MsgBox ("You idiot, an Iranian PT boat sank your trillion dollar carrier!", 1)

Rory Noonan -> RE: Messages via Lua or the Log? (9/19/2016 4:08:05 AM)

When designing scenarios, I prefer the special message format. You can actually format these using HTML tags. I've transitioned from using events with multiple actions (e.g. A Lua script, points and a message) to just using Lua to do the points and message as well as the scripted event.

Using UnitX and other Lua functions actually allows a lot of flexibility in these messages. You can see an example of this in my TF Normandy scenario http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4061677

kevinkins -> RE: Messages via Lua or the Log? (9/19/2016 4:42:01 AM)

Thanks. So when the event fires the resulting action runs a Lua script that displays a message (HTML) and/or modifies the score if either are required by the event(?) I will look into that.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI