Can we "hide" radar AAs? (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Flashpoint Campaigns Series

exsonic01 -> Can we "hide" radar AAs? (10/11/2016 5:26:34 AM)

Radar AAs can be easily detected though I hide them in urban hex or forest hex, because they are radiating the radar signal. This make them easy target for SEAD airstrike or artillery bombardment by angry opponent.

Is there any way to reduce their chance of detection? HQs can reduce radio/hr, but I'm not sure how can I reduce/off the radiation signal from AAs. Can we turn off them, like Serbian SAMs did during Operation Allied Force? Or, do we just need to continuously move them?

CapnDarwin -> RE: Can we "hide" radar AAs? (10/11/2016 12:37:57 PM)

The quick answer is no. We take into account some off time in the detection code. With radars, jammers, and radios, it is difficult if not impossible to hide a static transmitter that is radiating. Movement helps by keeping most arty fires off you and might throw off a SEAD airstrike. We are tossing around the idea of adding a slider like setting in Southern Storm to allow the player to set the up time of those types of AA radars. The trade being detection of enemys versus emitting and being detected by the enemy.

Lowlaner2012 -> RE: Can we "hide" radar AAs? (10/11/2016 12:53:22 PM)

I suppose you could put them on resupply, of course they wont be able to shoot at anything while doing that..

Would that work Capn?

Cheers

CapnDarwin -> RE: Can we "hide" radar AAs? (10/11/2016 1:38:41 PM)

I am pretty sure that the radars are hot still. Best thing is to keep them moving if you can and have additional AA support with IR systems.

LuckyJim1010 -> RE: Can we "hide" radar AAs? (10/30/2016 7:27:58 PM)

Interesting topic.
I worked on Skyguard back in the day and have to say that a AAA unit is very vulnerable to SEAD aircraft by virtue of its job.
If the radar is not on you don't see aircraft. Turn the radar off and you have a mission kill anyway.
We did have a camera and we would use that if we went radar blind but then you are pretty much back to WW2 Spotters pointing and shouting "Over there"
This was way back in the 80's and I assume things have moved on.
An interesting event was that Harriers would set off the 'ARM Detected' light and alert.
I used to think someone was taking our wargames a bit too seriously but it was just the Harriers being fast, small and inevitability aiming at the Skyguard unit as some of the pilots flew them against the Argentinian units for real.
Guess they didn't like them much [:)]

clodhellmer -> RE: Can we "hide" radar AAs? (10/30/2016 8:26:07 PM)

In the Bundeswehr we solved the problem using just one AD System for around two Minutes and than turning the radar off. Another System starts than to use its radar for the next two minutes. But we had two TPS Systems per AD Batt. So most of the time the AD Systems Search radars were keep off transmitting. For me it would be more realistic to have just on AD System per counter. I mean we used to have seven Systems protecting one Tank or PzGren Batt. Using a counter with more than two Systems makes no sense for me.

CapnDarwin -> RE: Can we "hide" radar AAs? (10/30/2016 10:32:07 PM)

clodhellmer, we will be adding some functionality to "turn radars on and off" to reduce the chances of detection. I also agree on a deeper breakout of AD assets in the OOB would help some too. Things we can work on going forward. [8D]

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI