Victory Determination (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns

Rover -> Victory Determination (5/11/2001 1:20:00 AM)

I haven't seen 5.1 yet but am assuming from previous info my idea isn't a new included feature. Back in SP1 days if a game was scheduled for 20 turns it didn't end until every unit on a side was destroyed or 20 turns were completed (at least that's my memory). Current version SPWAW is each turn the game makes a calculation based on both players condition and thes automatically ends the game when certain victory conditions exist. I find this frustrating because two situations can occur: 1) I'm prevented from getting maximum experience in a route situation and 2) I get saved when I get lucky and route a significant portion of the enemy force that could have been a problem by guessing their location and bombing the heck out of them sight unseen. Could a feature be added that once victory conditions are met the summary screen of side losses pops up with additional info for both players regarding remaining units on the board and a choice to continue or end be given the winning player? This feature would pop up everytime the conditions were met for review. Thanks

Larry Holt -> (5/11/2001 1:32:00 AM)

I've felt the same frustration. One way to avoid a premature ending is to have the enemy own at least one victory hex. In your advance and assault scenarios this occurs as part of the scenario generation. In your delay/defend scenarios you start out owning all of them. You can set up so that your opponent can easily take at least one. Alternately you can save the battle as a scenario, edit it to add in on victory hex on the opposing side then save back to a saved game & play on.

Rover -> (5/11/2001 2:29:00 AM)

Thanks Larry... I've actually tried them both and like the "let them have one" more than the "change in editor". Again, just a thought of something it'd be cool to have hardwired into the game. R

Paul Vebber -> (5/11/2001 3:01:00 AM)

We ahve added a morale check of the A0 to the other conditions for being broken so if you (in a scenario) make teh A0 morale 120 then it will be impossible fo teh side to become "broken" and the game should not end early. (assuming you don't lose the A0)

Wild Bill -> (5/11/2001 6:37:00 AM)

The one Paul mentions works perfectly but of course you can't do that in generated battles. And the scenario designer must set these numbers or it won't work either, and it appears that they have to be set for both sides. Even with that, I have seen a battle - 10 turns - end on turn 8, even in version 5.1 I think this was implemented to keep folks in PBEM games from making that last turn rush to take the objectives and win on a fluke. What I think would really be good would be a random roll when the scenario begins that might make it end a turn early or a turn late, or when it is supposed to do so. Premature endings can be frustrating. I would agree...WB

Rover -> (5/11/2001 6:53:00 AM)

Yep... maybe in the end the simple SP1 method of plowing through to the end is the best. Bill's idea is a even more interesting variation on this theme. Anyway, I'm going to dive into 5.1 tonight so thanks again for all the hardwork and I can't say enough how much I've enjoyed what you all have created. Keep up the good work and look forward to much more good stuff from the team.

Possum -> (5/11/2001 9:34:00 AM)

Hello all. My only real gripe with the "End scenario if mission impossible" codeing, is that the computer always seems to know one turn in advance that it is about to be broken; And so orders every piece of OB artillery and Aircraft to attack your defending units right on the turn it Breaks. I have often cursed at how I have routed the computer with trivial losses, only to have the computer rout, and drop 6+ batteries of 150mm on my exposed troopers, followed up by the apperance of 10+ Aircraft to shread my so far untouched tank units. Grrr. So the scenario promptley ends with me taking an extra 100+ men and 5+ tanks as casualties I Haven't played V5.01 yet, so I'm not sure if this is still a feature. :)

Alexandra -> (5/11/2001 3:23:00 PM)

Well, while I agree that the early end can be frustrating, from time to time, I have to say I like the feature. First of all, it does add some battle unpredictiblilty. After all, irl, you never know when the battle is going to end. Next, it forces you, when commanding, to not be too cautionus. That's good, for me, cause I tend to be overly cautious and the need to grab that first VH often encouages me to be a tad more agressive :), Lastly, it allows a outnumbered defender to break the initial attack with heavy losses and thus discourage the rest of the attackers, which is quite realistic. Nevertheless, if it would be easy and quite to code, I'd not complain about a toggle for it. If it is a major project, though, I'd rather see Matrix put that time into Combat Leader or one of the other new games. Alex

Larry Holt -> (5/12/2001 1:07:00 AM)

quote:

Originally posted by Possum: Hello all. My only real gripe with the "End scenario if mission impossible" codeing, is that the computer always seems to know one turn in advance that it is about to be broken; And so orders every piece of OB artillery and Aircraft to attack your defending units right on the turn it Breaks. ... :)
I've seen this but not so extreame. I attribute this to the AIP knowing that it is about to order a retreat and firing a final protective fire kind of thing to get your heads down so it can break contact. IRL, this is exactly what a human enemy would do.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI