Discuss the combat effectiveness of these two formations (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Advanced Tactics Series

the_iron_duke -> Discuss the combat effectiveness of these two formations (10/15/2016 3:58:27 AM)

Discuss the combat effectiveness of these two formations, purely in terms of how well they will perform in combat according to the game's rules. I'm particularly thinking of the balance between Rifle/SMG sub-units and heavy weapons (MG, bazooka, mortar) sub-units. Which has greater efficiency?

Formation A:

9 x Rifle
3 x SMG
2 x Machine gun
2 x Bazooka
1 x Mortar
Formation B:

9 x Rifle
3 x SMG
1 x Machine gun
1 x Bazooka
1 x Mortar

The difference being, Formation B has one less MG and one less bazooka than Formation A.

bobarossa -> RE: Discuss the combat effectiveness of these two formations (10/15/2016 3:24:29 PM)

Not much difference between them, the stronger unit will perform better. At least in defense as MG's are a defensive weapon. Not sure what their stack factors are. You may be able to stack more of one type in a hex before exceeding 100 pts. Personally, I never mix Rifle and SMG's as they are for different terrains.

the_iron_duke -> RE: Discuss the combat effectiveness of these two formations (10/15/2016 4:01:31 PM)

I'd agree that it is better to separate Rifle and SMG in pure gameplay terms, following the game's rules. However, I use an additional authentic military organisation "house rules" set. SMGs, in real life, do/did not exist as separate formations at brigade/regiment/battalion level (and certainly not at divisional level), with the possible exception of the Soviets in the Second World War, using SMG battalions, and I think their organisational structure is slightly different, with battalion strength being about half that of US/German/British battalions.

So SMGs can only realistically exist, in my system, as a component of the Infantry Regiment formation (and related Mechanized and Motorised Infantry Regiment formations). I have two Infantry Regiment models - my regular Infantry Regiment includes SMGs, but if I am playing a map without much terrain, such as desert, I use all Rifles.

So my Infantry Regiment is made up of three battalions, each of four Rifle companies, making 12 companies. The SMGs are considered to be dispersed within the Rifle companies, rather than separate SMG companies. So the 12 Rifle companies is represented as 12 x Rifle or 9 x Rifle and 3 x SMG, depending on the map.

Each of the three battalions also has a heavy company, which I represent as two MGs and one mortar. There is also a regimental anti-tank company, providing one bazooka, and I also split the divisional anti-tank battalion among the divisional regiments rather than having them as separate counters, so the Infantry Regiment gets a further bazooka unit. I forgot to list one cavalry unit in each Infantry Regiment in the formations above, which represents a company from the divisional recon battalion split between the divisional regiments.

These organisations are based on real TOEs from the Second World War.

The AI uses a much lower proportion of heavy weapons to riflemen in its formations, so I am wondering about the efficiency of my Infantry Regiment TOEs in pure game terms.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI