Ultimate General: Civil War (Full Version)

All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion

jday305 -> Ultimate General: Civil War (11/16/2016 9:32:11 PM)

A new civil war game in early access on Steam. Looks promising.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/502520/?snr=1_4_4__129

Lobster -> RE: Ultimate General: Civil War (11/16/2016 9:54:16 PM)

Looks promising indeed.

wings7 -> RE: Ultimate General: Civil War (11/16/2016 10:34:07 PM)

Yes sir it does! [:)]

Fallschirmjager -> RE: Ultimate General: Civil War (11/16/2016 10:45:38 PM)

Purchased and currently downloading. I will report back.
Steam says I have 63 hours just on the Gettysburg previous release. It was an easy decision to go ahead and purchase this one.
This same company also has an age of sail game out that is developing. It can be played as an MMO which is a bit of a grind but for the most part players are nice and helpful. It also has single player which is still a grind but playable if you dont like being around other people.
Naval Action if you are interested

I hope this same developer decides to do a Napoleonic version of their ACW game. Not necessarily 1800-1815 but the larger campaigns broken off and sold as games.
I recently purchased Campaign Marengo from John Tiller and while I am really enjoying it, it is a John Tiller game and thus rooted in Windows 95.
I love the wealth of battles and the branching campaign but the sheer clunkiness and lack of modern (and by modern I mean 20 years of game design) design make it a slog to play. I really have to get myself up to play it even though navigating my French forces to a narrow victory over overwhelming Austrian/Piedmontese forces can be thrilling.

Rosseau -> RE: Ultimate General: Civil War (11/17/2016 2:15:48 AM)

The new game reminds me what a poor choice Brother vs Brother was for $50. My opinion only, but not a peep after 1.5 years. Hard to believe the same studio (I think) created Conflict of Heroes.

Alan Sharif -> RE: Ultimate General: Civil War (11/17/2016 7:43:58 AM)

Very much enjoyed the earlier Gettysburg game, so have high hope for this.

wings7 -> RE: Ultimate General: Civil War (11/17/2016 10:51:03 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Fallschirmjager

Purchased and currently downloading. I will report back.

I look forward to your review...[:)]

gekkoguy35 -> RE: Ultimate General: Civil War (11/17/2016 12:44:56 PM)

I'm definitely interested in this as well! UG:G was top. Looks like they nixed the contour lines you could toggle to see elevations on hills and such, but maybe it's easier to notice elevation without them now. I'm weird and kind of a cartographer in real life, so I kind of liked the way they looked on the map :-P

oh well, not a deal breaker by any stretch!

Alan Sharif -> RE: Ultimate General: Civil War (11/17/2016 5:19:25 PM)

I could not resist and have downloaded. Started my first campaign and ended up fired due to my poor leadership. I loved every second of it, why it lasted. :(

If you enjoyed the UG:G you will think Christmas has come early, you really will.

wings7 -> RE: Ultimate General: Civil War (11/17/2016 5:29:58 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Alan Sharif

I could not resist and have downloaded. Started my first campaign and ended up fired due to my poor leadership. I loved every second of it, why it lasted. :(

If you enjoyed the UG:G you will think Christmas has come early, you really will.

Sounds good...[:)]

elmo3 -> RE: Ultimate General: Civil War (11/17/2016 5:32:38 PM)

Can you pause the action to issue orders? Is there any zoom function? Thanks.

Edit - According to the Steam forum dwellers you can pause to issue orders, and there is a zoom capability although they would like to be able to zoom in closer.

Fallschirmjager -> RE: Ultimate General: Civil War (11/17/2016 6:41:17 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: elmo3

Yes and yes. And unlike Tiller games there is no 'levels' of zoom. Simply use the mouse wheel and the zoom is smooth and goes from down to a single brigade up to where you can see several square miles.
There is no option right now to zoom all the way out to see the entire battlefield but it is not a hindrance. There is a mini map where you can click a spot and with no frame rate drop zip right over to where you click.
And the game is real time but slow enough where you never feel overwhelmed. And you can pause at any time.

Right now the game feels rough around the edges but very playable. I played the first few hours of Fist Mannassass last night and got overwhelmed. Now Jackson is marching up from the south and we are falling back to regroup before a counter attack.

I will play more before giving my fuller impressions. The game in its current state feels really nice but a bit rough.
For the price it is an instant buy. Gettysburg got an endless stream of updates as late as this summer.
The Steam page says full release in no more than 2-4 months but I am guessing it will be spring of next year.

All in all a very exciting release and it takes a great game set around a single battle and expands it to the full war.

Fallschirmjager -> RE: Ultimate General: Civil War (11/17/2016 6:43:41 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: gekkoguy82

I'm definitely interested in this as well! UG:G was top. Looks like they nixed the contour lines you could toggle to see elevations on hills and such, but maybe it's easier to notice elevation without them now. I'm weird and kind of a cartographer in real life, so I kind of liked the way they looked on the map :-P

oh well, not a deal breaker by any stretch!

I strongly think they will bring it back. This seems to be the top request on the forums and the developers who's English is at times difficult to understand seemed to indicate the only reason it is not in now is because because the contour lines were not complete for all maps at the time of release yesterday.

elmo3 -> RE: Ultimate General: Civil War (11/17/2016 7:13:40 PM)

quote:

Yes and yes. ...
For the price it is an instant buy. Gettysburg got an endless stream of updates as late as this summer.
The Steam page says full release in no more than 2-4 months but I am guessing it will be spring of next year.

All in all a very exciting release and it takes a great game set around a single battle and expands it to the full war.

OK, thanks. Looking forward to hearing more about it.

zakblood -> RE: Ultimate General: Civil War (11/17/2016 7:15:33 PM)

RTS still? if so i'll pass, as i don't have the speed to play them, TB only for me

wings7 -> RE: Ultimate General: Civil War (11/17/2016 7:37:15 PM)

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: elmo3

Yes and yes. And unlike Tiller games there is no 'levels' of zoom. Simply use the mouse wheel and the zoom is smooth and goes from down to a single brigade up to where you can see several square miles.
There is no option right now to zoom all the way out to see the entire battlefield but it is not a hindrance. There is a mini map where you can click a spot and with no frame rate drop zip right over to where you click.
And the game is real time but slow enough where you never feel overwhelmed. And you can pause at any time.

Right now the game feels rough around the edges but very playable. I played the first few hours of Fist Mannassass last night and got overwhelmed. Now Jackson is marching up from the south and we are falling back to regroup before a counter attack.

I will play more before giving my fuller impressions. The game in its current state feels really nice but a bit rough.

Thanks for your evaluation! If you have more to add please do. [:)]

gekkoguy35 -> RE: Ultimate General: Civil War (11/18/2016 12:20:00 PM)

quote:

I strongly think they will bring it back. This seems to be the top request on the forums and the developers who's English is at times difficult to understand seemed to indicate the only reason it is not in now is because because the contour lines were not complete for all maps at the time of release yesterday.

oh, excellent! I saw someone mention it shortly after it was released, but hadn't been back on their forums the rest of the day. Thanks!

Zakblood: Still an RTS, of course pausible so you can dish out orders in a more relaxed manner. That's something I did frequently in UGG. Don't be so hasty to dismiss it simply because it's real-time; it's hardly a clickfest, nothing at all like the Starcrafts or Command & Conquers of the world. I'm with you in regards to not having the speed to play many RTS's, but this is a wholly different animal :)

jack54 -> RE: Ultimate General: Civil War (11/18/2016 4:06:59 PM)

Thanks for posting about this....This is new info for me and looks very intriguing. I really like the graphic style. I'm surprised by the number of battles they're including...

(I recently bought Ultimate General: Gettysburg during GOG's fall sale for $3.79 and really enjoy it. Lots of fun IMHO)

elmo3 -> RE: Ultimate General: Civil War (11/18/2016 6:05:18 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: jack54

...I'm surprised by the number of battles they're including...

Me too. The set piece battles alone are probably worth $30 even if I never played the campaign. Still on the fence due to a case of "too many games, too little time" right now.

Hexagon -> RE: Ultimate General: Civil War (11/19/2016 9:31:08 AM)

A few questions, i am holding the buy mode until appear Matrix holydays discounts (i am behind a pair of games + SC3 to use over them my cupon hehehe)

1-the speed... i see in left area to control speed a buttom, is to half game speed???
2-battle generator??? i see one buttom in meny that made me think this but i dont find a video to confirm if is possible create custom battles
3-i dont see in videos a lot of the old game creation of complex movement lines or a mode to retreat facing enemy

Thanks.

I recomend you see the videos in youtube, they are very instructive

starting in game
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UM4YYV8E4A

EDIT: somebody remember if beta games enter in Steam holyday discounts??? i dont remember if do it or not, thanks.

Shilo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4aarLW3Plw

see last part to know about buy-upgrade units in campaign
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lkw0AQlwxxw

wodin -> RE: Ultimate General: Civil War (11/19/2016 12:32:16 PM)

I've put in a request to review for the blog

Franciscus -> RE: Ultimate General: Civil War (11/19/2016 3:17:02 PM)

I have bought it, and it looks very promising.

It's clearly in beta state (version 0.66), and the interface is most probably going to change and improve. But the game plays already rather good. It reminds me very much of that old gem, Civil War Generals (1 and 2). You start commanding a few regiments, in a small battle. The casualties you sustain and experience you gain carry over, and between major engagements you can recruit more regiments, create and manage your own divisions (you apparently assume the role of a corps commander), recruit replacements, upgrade the rifles and guns (if you have the money). The maps and terrain look very good, and now we even have other elements: forts to capture/man, ironvlads, supply wagons to protect, etc.

As for it being RTS, it is not really an issue. I am also past my Command and Conquer or Total War click-fest days, but here the pace is much more slow, and you can pause the game at will while giving orders or adjusting your regimentīs positions.

There is in fact a "Custom Battle" option, but for now you only get the Dunker Church Battle, and you can select your troops and their deployment, but that's all. I do not know if there is going to be possible to create from scratch a sandbox battle.

It has the potential to become a true classic, IMHO.

wodin -> RE: Ultimate General: Civil War (11/19/2016 3:24:52 PM)

I hate realtime games..but found this games predecessor very enjoyable and fell into that rare category of real time games those who hate real tome games enjoy..like the first Close Combat games or Graviteam Tactics series.

aaatoysandmore -> RE: Ultimate General: Civil War (11/20/2016 12:43:33 PM)

This is what I'd hoped Norbsoft's Civil War series would turn into. I like his animations better.

elmo3 -> RE: Ultimate General: Civil War (11/22/2016 12:04:48 PM)

Anyone know if the game will have any kind of optional orders delay? After watching a few videos on Youtube it looks like fun but units seem to be able to change direction and dart all over the map without any kind of realistic delay.

Capitaine -> RE: Ultimate General: Civil War (11/22/2016 1:49:11 PM)

A couple of things I've learned about this game for the historical/realism purists (like me). The formation(s) used for the brigades in this game are not historical. They are all basically 3-deep Napoleonic columns of regiments, roughly speaking. Also, there is NO "friendly fire"; friendly units can fire at the enemy through other friendly units. Just saying, in case such things matter to you.

elmo3 -> RE: Ultimate General: Civil War (11/22/2016 3:05:09 PM)

It definitely looks like it's on the "beer and pretzels" side when it comes to historical accuracy. That's fine, and being an old codger, the days of me wanting to wade through 200+ page manuals just to play a game are pretty much over.

Capitaine -> RE: Ultimate General: Civil War (11/22/2016 3:53:45 PM)

It certainly looks good, but my recollection of the Scourge of War games is that they are more historically correct in these regards than UG:CW. I just don't understand why simple historical conventions aren't observed, bier und pretzel or not.

dave74 -> RE: Ultimate General: Civil War (11/24/2016 4:40:12 PM)

Bought it and put a few hours in last night. Really enjoying it. Reminds me a lot of a modern Civil War Generals 2, a game i loved.

Its playable as is, will only get better. Casualties seem to high, but i think this is to fit in with the game mechanics.

wodin -> RE: Ultimate General: Civil War (11/24/2016 5:31:25 PM)

Like you I hate RTS games due to click fest\speed etc..however the previous game fell into that rare category where things go at a pace that's easily manageable and it never felt like a click fest..
quote:

ORIGINAL: zakblood

RTS still? if so i'll pass, as i don't have the speed to play them, TB only for me

Page: [1] 2   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI