First impressions of Strategic Command WWII War in Europe (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII War in Europe

Templer_12 -> First impressions of Strategic Command WWII War in Europe (11/17/2016 8:26:17 PM)

Because of the chaos with PayPal, I have not bought yet.
Give us your first impressions of Strategic Command WWII War in Europe.

Biker1984 -> RE: First impressions of Strategic Command WWII War in Europe (11/17/2016 8:35:12 PM)

I just played as the Axis and I really love it. I think this game will keep me busy for some time. Managing your spendings is one of the hardest choices up to now. I'm really getting kicked ass by the British on the sea.

Numdydar -> RE: First impressions of Strategic Command WWII War in Europe (11/17/2016 9:26:33 PM)

HEXES. I LOVE HEXES [:D]

Templer_12 -> RE: First impressions of Strategic Command WWII War in Europe (11/18/2016 7:44:41 AM)

I miss the land-typical buildings and the specific main cities. No Eiffel Tower, no Big Ben ...[:(]

loki100 -> RE: First impressions of Strategic Command WWII War in Europe (11/18/2016 11:18:28 AM)

first impression is I am very impressed.

Having had no experience of previous versions it seems to hit that sweet spot where with some reading, the tooltips and common sense you can get started quite early. But it hints very nicely at real depth as you work into the systems and push a game along - not least how to allocate scarce resources is so obviously key and hopefully opens up all sorts of strategies.

AstroCat -> RE: First impressions of Strategic Command WWII War in Europe (11/18/2016 11:32:46 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Templer

I miss the land-typical buildings and the specific main cities. No Eiffel Tower, no Big Ben ...[:(]

Yeah, I hope they add these back as well. Seems like an easy fix.

pierreoza -> RE: First impressions of Strategic Command WWII War in Europe (11/18/2016 11:40:47 AM)

I grabbed it.

It's a very polished game.

Templer_12 -> RE: First impressions of Strategic Command WWII War in Europe (11/19/2016 3:34:53 PM)

1. Flags are now shown round. Yes, in today's graphics, this is often done. I don't like it. Flags are rectangular.
2. You call German U-Boote "Sub". That's not right! [:-]
3. I'm not happy about the new 3D model of the HQs.

xwormwood -> RE: First impressions of Strategic Command WWII War in Europe (11/19/2016 3:41:21 PM)

2. And than you call a Uboot U-Boot! [:-] [:D]

sPzAbt653 -> RE: First impressions of Strategic Command WWII War in Europe (11/19/2016 3:57:14 PM)

quote:

1. Flags are now shown round. Yes, in today's graphics, this is often done. I don't like it. Flags are rectangular.

I can't stand them either. Maybe the kiddies like them. Oh wait, are there any youngsters playing this game ?

2. And you can rename them as 'Unterseeboots'. Or better, rename them as 'U-bootsflotille' as they really don't represent one U-Boat [;)]

3. Please don't use 3-D Graphics. Can you imagine Guderian or Patton using little tanks and planes on their operational maps ? It's a travesty !

xwormwood -> RE: First impressions of Strategic Command WWII War in Europe (11/19/2016 3:58:19 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: sPzAbt653

quote:

3. Please don't use 3-D Graphics. Can you imagine Guderian or Patton using little tanks and planes on their operational maps ? It's a travesty !

[&o][:D][&o]

Templer_12 -> RE: First impressions of Strategic Command WWII War in Europe (11/19/2016 3:58:23 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Xwormwood

2. And than you call a Uboot U-Boot! [:-] [:D]

Help me, I don't get it.

xwormwood -> RE: First impressions of Strategic Command WWII War in Europe (11/19/2016 4:03:13 PM)

Quote wikipedia.de:
"militärische Schreibweise Uboot ohne Bindestrich"
[;)]

Templer_12 -> RE: First impressions of Strategic Command WWII War in Europe (11/19/2016 4:16:34 PM)

quote:

Quote wikipedia.de:
"militärische Schreibweise Uboot ohne Bindestrich"
[;)]

Muß ich von 'nem Bremer wohl akzeptieren [;)]

xwormwood -> RE: First impressions of Strategic Command WWII War in Europe (11/19/2016 4:38:45 PM)

Was ist grün und stinkt nach Klugscheißer - ich kann halt nicht aus meiner Haut, mea culpa!
[:)]

AstroCat -> RE: First impressions of Strategic Command WWII War in Europe (11/19/2016 4:44:50 PM)

In games like this I totally like using the graphics for the units. I play wargames enough but I never had any attachment to counters or bad graphics. For me the more visual and especially aural immersion the more I will enjoy the game. I guess I never had that grog card to begin with. I'm more of a miniatures gamer than a counters one I suppose.

Templer_12 -> RE: First impressions of Strategic Command WWII War in Europe (11/19/2016 4:50:19 PM)

quote:

Was ist grün und stinkt nach Klugscheißer - ich kann halt nicht aus meiner Haut, mea culpa!

Sometimes you guys use the term "U-boats".
Hmm, hmm, a bit inconsequent, isn't it?

A German UBoot (greetings to Bremen) is a UBoot.
Up to the present day, navies of the world call German UBoote, for respect, UBoot.

Capitaine -> RE: First impressions of Strategic Command WWII War in Europe (11/19/2016 4:57:12 PM)

quote:

Actually, in all those WWII movies of a central command, they've got a big map with ladies pushing 3-D units around with long sticks. Not so implausible.

Wolfe1759 -> RE: First impressions of Strategic Command WWII War in Europe (11/19/2016 6:36:30 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Capitaine

quote:

Actually, in all those WWII movies of a central command, they've got a big map with ladies pushing 3-D units around with long sticks. Not so implausible.

I think you only get these with the boxed version, which would explain the high postage costs [:)]

Templer_12 -> RE: First impressions of Strategic Command WWII War in Europe (11/21/2016 5:31:29 PM)

Ok I'm in.

My first impressions after a few hours of playing time: Strategic Command WWII War in Europe is nothing special.
It's like Global Conflict, like the Gold bundle, like The Great War, like Assault on Democracy...

...a masterpiece of gameplay, a work of genius, a game that hook me. [;)]
I have such a great time with it - WAU!

Goodmongo -> RE: First impressions of Strategic Command WWII War in Europe (11/21/2016 6:10:38 PM)

Spent all day Sunday playing the game as Germany 1939 scenario. Only spent about 20 minutes in the manual. Strongly suggest everyone read up about HQ's and supply. Will make the game much easier to understand why things happen. Even subs need to return every so often.

It is a load of fun, has enough weather and other things to wreck the best laid plans and the events are great. I need to read the manual about them because I had no clue what some of them did or didn't do.

I look forward to sinking in hundreds of hours playing the game. There are many possibilities. I did have a few CTD's which seem to happen if you quit and reload more than once or twice. Bottom line is well worth the money.

Dorb -> RE: First impressions of Strategic Command WWII War in Europe (11/21/2016 10:55:28 PM)

First impression... the manual is big. (use dropbox to put it on your tablet to read in bed at night while the better half sleeps)

Templer_12 -> RE: First impressions of Strategic Command WWII War in Europe (11/22/2016 3:42:11 PM)

Graphic
Rain is sometimes hard to see.
I don't know if I like the previous 3D models better. For the tanks graphics, I do.

The game information area
Display info at the bottom left hand corner of the screen.
You know, if you use a wide screen monitor, it's a bit tiring to move your eyes to this place back and forth.

Gimmick
Joe DiMaggio is in the game! [sm=00000280.gif]
I miss the national anthems. [:(]
I miss the attractions of the main cities. [:(]
I miss the muezzin who calls for prayer in Africa. [:(]

Great game

Hartmann -> RE: First impressions of Strategic Command WWII War in Europe (11/22/2016 4:01:57 PM)

At the moment I'm just playing around familiarizing myself with the game. It looks and feels fabulous! My favorite game has always been "Clash of Steel" and there was never a later game that quite replaced it. This finally might be it!

I bought all entries in the series, but my playtime dwindled to almost 0 when Hubert introduced isometric view and tiles with SC2. I'm so happy we got hexes back, I could cry (well, not really cry, but almost). :-)

I also love the decisions and events in this game. In other games, the Weserübung and Africa Corps things were often a drag. I hope that future patches and mods will bring even more flavor events, I especially like small historical border adjust-events like annexation of Alsace or the creation of Croatia. (There could be a few more of those e.g. for the Balkans and Greece.)

Finally, I'm happy that we have Nato counters right off the bat without a mod. I like 3D units in Panzer General-style games, but here they clutter the map too much.

mavraamides -> RE: First impressions of Strategic Command WWII War in Europe (11/22/2016 4:21:59 PM)

My first game as the good guys. Poland fell quickly, I held out in France till early August. Was pissed that I allowed one of my BEF units to be trapped in France and destroyed! Ugh.

Struggling with German subs and their hit and run tactics. Dealt the German surface fleet a couple of big losses though.

Germany did not honor the Molotov-Ribbentrop treaty (bastards!) and now I'm quite concerned about an early Barbarossa. After seeing German troops chew up the French Army, I don't know how I could stop them from reaching Moscow with the meager forces at my disposal.

What's worse is my fear of invasion has made me focus more on building an army than research which is a bad long term strategy. I'm going to have a million peasants with pointy sticks at this rate.

North Africa has been quiet. So far.

I really like this version.

Pros:
Hexes are back!
Many more unit types.
More research options.
Lots of interesting events and decisions.
AI seems good and especially effective at swapping units around in attack.
(Just learned this) You can selectively turn AI control on or off for any country on your side!

Cons:
Haven't seen any yet.

jwarrenw13 -> RE: First impressions of Strategic Command WWII War in Europe (11/22/2016 5:09:32 PM)

Playing my first game, playing as Germany, I'm in June 40 and in the second turn of my invasion of France. There is a lot I don't know, but so far I'm having fun. I'm sure I'm making a lot of mistakes, but I'm just throwing things out there and seeing what happens. The Poland conquest took me three turns. It seems the gold standard is two. I then moved my units to prepare for the attack on France. Note -- Don't forget about forced march. I read about it and then forgot and then accidentally rediscovered it when I accidentally double clicked on a unit. I invaded Denmark with one infantry unit and an airborne unit with naval support. I have screwed up my naval game just seeing what would happen. I saw a lone UK destroyer on the Norway - Germany supply line and sent two cruisers, a destroyer, and a sub after it and of course got ambushed by a bigger UK naval element. I managed to escape with all my unit but all heavily damaged. Got into another naval engagement while bombarding Copenhagen. Lost a destroyer. Kept my sub and raider out that start in the north Atlantic. Raided toward Canada. Did some damage but eventually lost both of them, mainly just wanting to see what happened. Got a damaged Deutschland nearly back home before it was caught and sunk off the coast of Norway. Still trying to figure out how to most effectively employ headquarters. I have questions but want to do a play through before asking anything. Most of all, I'm having fun.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI