What are these numbers? (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII War in Europe

FroBodine -> What are these numbers? (11/21/2016 12:25:59 AM)

Brand new newbie here . . . I know I need to read the manual, but I just loaded up the Normandy landing scenario.

My troops have two numbers underneath their icon. One is a low number, e.g. 8 or 10. I assume this is their relative strength number like Panzer Corps. Next to that number is a large number, like 221 or 21 and such.

So, it shows like 10 221, or 8 21, for example.

What does the second larger number mean, please? And, where in the vast manual would I find this information. I scanned through the manual but did not see a screenshot that showed and explained what these unit numbers mean.

Thanks! I have lots of readin' and 'splainin to do.

balto -> RE: What are these numbers? (11/21/2016 1:39:02 AM)

Page 16, 3.5.4 Unit display. I think the first one is a strength 10 with a level 2 upgrade on its first two categories, and a level one on its third category. The second one I think means strength 8 with an upgrade to level 2 in its first category and a level 1 in its second category. Apparently some units can have from 1 to three upgrades areas, which I believe appears on page 13 in the screenshot. So the garrison selected only have the potential for two upgrade areas, Infantry Weapons and AA Defense.

If I am wrong, I am really sorry about that.

Amona -> RE: What are these numbers? (11/21/2016 1:43:14 AM)

Balto is right. THe left number is the strength or hit points, the small numbers at the right are upgrade levels.
As an example:
Tank corps strenghth 10 and 221, meaning advanced tanks level 2, air defence level 2, mobility level 1.

FroBodine -> RE: What are these numbers? (11/21/2016 2:05:41 AM)

Whoa. I don't understand that at all! The manual references you pointed me to are very vague about explaining those numbers.

I don't understand the screenshot on page 13. Where are the upgrade areas?

Amona - how do you know those numbers 221 mean advanced tanks, air defense, and mobility? How do I know what the upgrade categories are for the different numbers?

The manual really doesn't explain this at all. Or, if it does, I guess I'm just being dense.

RolandRahn_MatrixForum -> RE: What are these numbers? (11/21/2016 2:20:40 AM)

The screen shot on page 13 is during the production.

The upgrade area is in the lower right - as the unit is a garrison, it can only be upgraded regarding the Infantry Weapons and the Anti Air Defense.
As the player in that example hasn't researched anti-air defense, only the Infantry Weapons can be upgraded.

If you want to know what values an actual unit (on the map) has:
- Right-click one of your units to see the list of possible actions
- select 'Properties'

Hope this helps,

Roland

Amona -> RE: What are these numbers? (11/21/2016 2:23:51 AM)

EEhhmmm, how I know?
I guess its from playing the older versions of the game for 15 years.
I never looked into the manual of this new incarnation.
If you enable in the starting menue the "right-click menue" and then you right click on a unit and choose properties, it should show you which upgrade categories the unit has.

The 44 scenario might be a bit overwhelming. For starters, I would recommend playing the 39 campaign as Allies for a while until you are familar with the thing.
Most units there are not upgraded and you have not so much to do in the first turns.

FroBodine -> RE: What are these numbers? (11/21/2016 12:57:21 PM)

Yeah, I know I need to start with the '39 campaign. I was just looking around and saw the numbers, and wanted to know what they mean.

The manual is very vague on this. I did look at the right-click properties of units, but still didn't how anything on that screen relates to the numbers, e.g. 221 or 21 from my example above.

Anyway, I don't have 15 years experience with this game. I have zero days experience, so an explanation in the manual or in-game is essential, and this seems to be missing.

FelixPraedo -> RE: What are these numbers? (11/21/2016 1:02:19 PM)

Another newbie question; when I click on properties there are often 2 numbers, the first one plain and the other-usually 1 higher - in brackets.
What does this mean...?

Frido1207 -> RE: What are these numbers? (11/21/2016 1:48:26 PM)

The first number shows the base value, the number in brackets indicates the upgraded value.
For example: the base movement value for an Army is 3 and - after the mobility upgrade - it is [4].

EisenHammer -> RE: What are these numbers? (11/21/2016 2:18:05 PM)

Remember this, the higher the number the stronger the unit.

Also you need too look at the left hand side of the properties screen. It will tell you what upgrades the unit can have/get.

FelixPraedo -> RE: What are these numbers? (11/21/2016 2:31:28 PM)

Thanks guys!

RolandRahn_MatrixForum -> RE: What are these numbers? (11/21/2016 10:44:08 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: jglazier

The manual is very vague on this. I did look at the right-click properties of units, but still didn't how anything on that screen relates to the numbers, e.g. 221 or 21 from my example above.

Please take a look at the attached picture.

It shows the properties for a tank with '321'
3 for the tank tech
2 for the AA tech
1 for the mobility tech.

Hope this helps,

Roland

[image]local://upfiles/2735/66B4297BF30949C38A5975160A1ADB4D.jpg[/image]

balto -> RE: What are these numbers? (11/21/2016 11:01:09 PM)

blank

FroBodine -> RE: What are these numbers? (11/21/2016 11:01:44 PM)

Excellent, RolandRahn! Thank you for doing this! This really helped me. So, the only way to know what those numbers, 321, relate to is to look at the properties of the unit and see what techs it has. Correct?

[edit] - After seeing Balto's response, what is missing? Don't the three techs directly under the tank graphic in the properties show what the techs are?

balto -> RE: What are these numbers? (11/21/2016 11:02:33 PM)

great screenshot

xwormwood -> RE: What are these numbers? (11/21/2016 11:19:58 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: jglazier

Excellent, RolandRahn! Thank you for doing this! This really helped me. So, the only way to know what those numbers, 321, relate to is to look at the properties of the unit and see what techs it has. Correct?

[edit] - After seeing Balto's response, what is missing? Don't the three techs directly under the tank graphic in the properties show what the techs are?

In a way, yes.

There is one more other option, at least as long as the unit is able to receive a new tech upgrade:

[image]local://upfiles/990/2A1C96A66D1C489EBD8F8E0C3A06E015.jpg[/image]

FroBodine -> RE: What are these numbers? (11/21/2016 11:23:15 PM)

Great stuff! Very clear now (I think). This is how the manual should have explained it, rather than just a one sentence that doesn't really tell you anything. Just some constructive criticism for the manual.

demyansk -> RE: What are these numbers? (11/22/2016 8:49:13 AM)

Good post and thanks for answering all the questions. Those numbers for me mean the more I have of them on the counter, the Better!!!! I also have played all the SC games, read the manual but not much different.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI