Frustrated with the tutorial (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII War in Europe

FroBodine -> Frustrated with the tutorial (11/23/2016 1:18:02 AM)

First of all, it's going to sound like I'm bitching, but I really like this game. I just want to understand how to play. I know I will have to read the manual, and I want to, but the chapter 4 tutorial leaves a LOT to be desired.

I have never played any game in this series before. I don't know what I'm doing. I thought a tutorial would teach me how to play.

So, pages 34 and 35 talk about reinforcing Tobruk with some Italian forces, by sending an HQ and a unit of tanks there. But, it doesn't tell me how to do this! Should I move the Graziani HQ in Genoa down to Tobruk? That is the only Italian HQ I see on the map. How do I do this? I don't see any tank units. Does the game want me to create a new HQ and a new tank unit? How do I do this? I don't know, it doesn't teach me.

Then, it goes on to consider research for the Italians before they enter the war. It gives me some ideas aobut what I should upgrade, but again, it doesn't tell me how to do this.

Very frustrating for a new player to this series.

Also - it's tough to remember the ESC key actually minimizes the game. This is not like any other game I have ever played. I keep hitting ESC to bring up the menu, but that's not how it works. Just kind of odd.

AstroCat -> RE: Frustrated with the tutorial (11/23/2016 1:40:39 AM)

Yeah I never really understood ESC as minimize. I always use it to de-select a unit or close a window, which would seem a more logical use. Any chance of changing this?

Jim D Burns -> RE: Frustrated with the tutorial (11/23/2016 2:00:05 AM)

Not sure if you're just venting or not, but just in case here's how you get it done. I haven't read the manual yet, so there may be other ways to accomplish it. I'm one of those players that dives right in and starts clicking, so I don't always find the best ways to do things until I've been at it for weeks/months.

Tank unit starts in northwest Italy, move it so it is in a hex adjacent to a port. Doesn't need to be a city, just make sure the port is adjacent to the unit. Then right click the unit (may have to do it in next turn, not sure if a moved unit can load) and select transport off the pop-up menu.

Move to the port at Tobruk and you will see green areas for hexes it can unload to. Left click the hex and your unit unloads. Do the same for the HQ in Italy.

Research is found via a button on top of the screen.

Jim

Qwixt -> RE: Frustrated with the tutorial (11/23/2016 2:33:02 AM)

That's a pretty strange assignment for the ESC key [:D]

FroBodine -> RE: Frustrated with the tutorial (11/23/2016 2:37:52 AM)

Thank you, Mr. Burns. I guess I was venting a bit, but my points are still valid. This is a tutorial. It it supposed to teach us how to do things. But, all this one says is send some units down to Tobruk, without explaining anything about where these units are, if we are supposed to create them, how to use or even find ports, load and unload, etc. Lots of stuff not explained.

Qwixt - I completely agree!

rickier65 -> RE: Frustrated with the tutorial (11/23/2016 6:43:44 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: jglazier

So, pages 34 and 35 talk about reinforcing Tobruk with some Italian forces, by sending an HQ and a unit of tanks there. But, it doesn't tell me how to do this! Should I move the Graziani HQ in Genoa down to Tobruk? That is the only Italian HQ I see on the map. How do I do this? I don't see any tank units. Does the game want me to create a new HQ and a new tank unit? How do I do this? I don't know, it doesn't teach me.

I just got to that part of the tutorial myself and had your exact same thought! THough it does seem fairly straight-forward.

And thanks for the instructions for how to do this Mr. Burns!

Thanks
Rick

sPzAbt653 -> RE: Frustrated with the tutorial (11/23/2016 7:06:05 AM)

I'd like to vent also, although I haven't looked at the tutorial as I had a few months of playing SC2 before I got this one, so I was slightly familiar.

But my vent is that these 'tutorials' and 'instructions' are often no help at all. For example, I am trying to figure out how to put text on the map with the editor, and the manual states:

2.3.9. Map > Edit Text Layer
Add and edit text on the map. This is used for the names of resources,
geographical areas and other features.
[my bold]

No **** !! Thanks for the inciteful and in-depth instruction ! I mean really, it must be a simple process that might take all of two lines to describe. I'm glad that my shoes are labeled 'These are for your feet', otherwise I wouldn't know what to do with them [&:]

Hartmann -> RE: Frustrated with the tutorial (11/23/2016 8:41:18 AM)

While 90% of the gameplay is self-explaining (at least for people with some general experience with this type of game) I too think that both the tutorial and the manual leave many questions open. What I did was watch a few episodes of a letsplay (by "Paradogs gamer"). The few remaining questions I had/have I post on the forum.

All in all this is a very accessible game.

Hubert Cater -> RE: Frustrated with the tutorial (11/23/2016 2:07:49 PM)

Thanks for the feedback everyone and we'll look into making some of the sections more informative as requested. For the ESC key, the current implementation was a request from probably when we first started the series to quickly minimize the game... I believe the idea behind it was for those playing at work and not wanting to get caught.

AstroCat -> RE: Frustrated with the tutorial (11/23/2016 2:37:20 PM)

Yes it was... lol I remember... ;)

FroBodine -> RE: Frustrated with the tutorial (11/23/2016 2:45:28 PM)

Oh, I wish I could play at work! We don't even have access to install anything on our machines without IT intervention. :(

n0kn0k -> RE: Frustrated with the tutorial (11/23/2016 5:11:03 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: jglazier

Oh, I wish I could play at work! We don't even have access to install anything on our machines without IT intervention. :(

As it should be. [:-] (goes back to updating software at work)

Numdydar -> RE: Frustrated with the tutorial (11/23/2016 9:55:37 PM)

There is a tutorial [X(]?

RolandRahn_MatrixForum -> RE: Frustrated with the tutorial (11/23/2016 11:34:13 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Numdydar

There is a tutorial [X(]?

In the manual, starting on page 26.

Numdydar -> RE: Frustrated with the tutorial (11/25/2016 12:25:43 AM)

I've already started my 2nd game lol. So it is a little too late for that [:D]

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI