RE: OT: Dunkirk the Movie! (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition

Kull -> RE: OT: Dunkirk the Movie! (5/10/2017 4:31:29 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: RFalvo69

Talking of Dunkirk, let's not forget the amazing tracking shot from "Atonement":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QijbOCvunfU

That was great, thanks for the link!

Chickenboy -> RE: OT: Dunkirk the Movie! (5/10/2017 2:45:12 PM)

I found the 5:36 extended trailer to Dunkirk! I saw this in the theater in IMAX with Rogue One last year, but haven't seen it elsewhere. Lots of new footage not seen in the other trailers. [:)]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UrQ4VvFO-c

jamesjohns -> RE: OT: Dunkirk the Movie! (5/13/2017 8:49:59 PM)

Very much look forward to it, it is a story, like so many others, in WWII that is unknown in the general public and deserves to be told

sprior -> RE: OT: Dunkirk the Movie! (5/16/2017 12:01:43 PM)

It's not widely-known but the man who was in command of the Dunkirk evacuation, Admiral Ramsay, was also in command for operation Neptune. sadly he was killed in a plane crash in 1944

sprior -> RE: OT: Dunkirk the Movie! (5/16/2017 12:03:58 PM)

My grandfather was captured at Dunkirk. He was listed as "Missing" for 3 months before news of his capture finally reached home.

Chickenboy -> RE: OT: Dunkirk the Movie! (5/16/2017 12:43:33 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: sprior

It's not widely-known but the man who was in command of the Dunkirk evacuation, Admiral Ramsay, was also in command for operation Neptune. sadly he was killed in a plane crash in 1944

Interesting. Is that the role played by Kenneth Branaugh in the trailers?

Chickenboy -> RE: OT: Dunkirk the Movie! (5/16/2017 12:44:12 PM)

quote:

My grandfather was captured at Dunkirk. He was listed as "Missing" for 3 months before news of his capture finally reached home.

How long had he been with the BEF before capture? Did he talk about any of it afterwards?

warspite1 -> RE: OT: Dunkirk the Movie! (5/16/2017 4:37:15 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

quote:

Interesting. Is that the role played by Kenneth Branaugh in the trailers?
warspite1

Ramsay, as Vice-Admiral Dover, wouldn't have been at Dunkirk, he was orchestrating the operation from Dover.

I assume that Branagh is William Tennant (he of HMS Repulse - Force Z fame) or a similar character. Tennant directed evacuation operations from the beaches as Senior Naval Officer Dunkirk.

Panther Bait -> RE: OT: Dunkirk the Movie! (5/16/2017 7:02:51 PM)

One strange thing about the movie is that the online cast lists rarely mention the names of the characters, particularly for actors like Kenneth Branagh who appear to be playing the people in charge (as opposed to random soldier/pilot #5).

warspite1 -> RE: OT: Dunkirk the Movie! (5/17/2017 6:25:58 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Panther Bait

One strange thing about the movie is that the online cast lists rarely mention the names of the characters, particularly for actors like Kenneth Branagh who appear to be playing the people in charge (as opposed to random soldier/pilot #5).

warspite1

I assume you mean IMDB? Yes, seems strange this close to the release date. Also it seems a little odd that their 'STARmeter' ranks Branagh and Rylance below Harry Styles!!.... although having said that I am only guessing at what a STARmeter is likely to actually be [:D]

Panther Bait -> RE: OT: Dunkirk the Movie! (5/17/2017 1:26:41 PM)

Not just IMDB, I haven't been able to find a name for Branagh's character anywhere. Not that I made an exhaustive search, but I did try a lot of the common places. My understanding is that the movie focuses more on the "typical" soldier rather than on the big names, so it might just be a tactic to avoid overemphasizing Branagh's character as the "commander".

Mike

Alpha77 -> RE: OT: Dunkirk the Movie! (5/17/2017 3:49:17 PM)

quote:

particularly for actors like Kenneth Branagh who appear to be playing the people in charge (as opposed to random soldier/pilot #5).

His Wiki (only fast scan) does not list Dunkirk (probably missed it myself), but he play a capt or commander, see here with pics too:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-3636848/Kenneth-Branagh-seen-uniform-set-new-movie-Dunkirk-surrounded-explosions-filming-battle-scenes-underway-time.html

EDIT BTW: Typical yellow press ?? Check the pic of the "Spitfire" with the undertitle "Sky's the limit: A Spitfire plane was seen to fly dramatically over the beach"

EDIT2: I should read more OT threads on here, I learned another English word which I hardly heard before : "PENSIVE" (is this some slang or old anglish word?) refers to nachdenklich in German. I saw that Warspite used the word first so perhaps English slang word?

Alpha77 -> RE: OT: Dunkirk the Movie! (5/17/2017 4:31:43 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

Another official trailer to whet the old appetite [:)]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KX301edpEs

I never ever buy these guys (actors or extras) would have been in a real war (outside in the open I mean) maybe a war at the table, yes.

Pretty interesting I found this here:

"We have learned from multiple sources that a seven-minute prologue for Christopher Nolan‘s new film Dunkirk will play in front of select 70mm IMAX showings of Rogue One: A Star Wars Story. Hit the jump to learn more about the Dunkirk IMAX preview."

And this "In US Theaters July 21th 2017"

Not only interesting numbers, but also that a trailer comes out so early at all...(but I am really not into modern film/music business anymore tbh)

BBfanboy -> RE: OT: Dunkirk the Movie! (5/17/2017 4:45:59 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Alpha77

quote:

particularly for actors like Kenneth Branagh who appear to be playing the people in charge (as opposed to random soldier/pilot #5).

His Wiki (only fast scan) does not list Dunkirk (probably missed it myself), but he play a capt or commander, see here with pics too:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-3636848/Kenneth-Branagh-seen-uniform-set-new-movie-Dunkirk-surrounded-explosions-filming-battle-scenes-underway-time.html

EDIT BTW: Typical yellow press ?? Check the pic of the "Spitfire" with the undertitle "Sky's the limit: A Spitfire plane was seen to fly dramatically over the beach"

EDIT2: I should read more OT threads on here, I learned another English word which I hardly heard before : "PENSIVE" (is this some slang or old anglish word?) refers to nachdenklich in German. I saw that Warspite used the word first so perhaps English slang word?

PENSIVE means "thoughtful", not talking or doing anything actively, just thinking.

anarchyintheuk -> RE: OT: Dunkirk the Movie! (5/17/2017 5:07:30 PM)

Hopefully, Branagh won't be playing Midway's Matt Garth role.

Alpha77 -> RE: OT: Dunkirk the Movie! (5/18/2017 11:43:14 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: RFalvo69

Talking of Dunkirk, let's not forget the amazing tracking shot from "Atonement":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QijbOCvunfU

WTF they kill the horses...? To not let them fall in German hands or what ? I doubt that a dozen horses would help the Nazi War machine that much. Scumbags.

And can someone "enlighten" me what the Ferris Wheel (Riesenrad) at 1:45 is suposed to do there ? I have not seen one in historic pics. Looks more and more like a SF and animal hate movie[:-]

It would be better every BIG production or coming from Hollyweird is ignored, maybe they will then learn tomake better movies.

I also disgree about the Nolan director guy, I watched Interstellar from him a while ago, not impressed (but I am used to SF movies like eg. Blade Runner, Dark City, Event Horizon which all were well done, so my standar may be too high)

And another rambling WTF does not no one even try to make good historic movies anymore eg. with Roman legions and/or Gallic/German/Celtic warriors etc. Only Gladiator had some of this years ago. But they would **** it up anyway. WW2 gets really old meanwhile.

And what a joke was "300" a cartoon movie from history. One could make a good and historic movie from the spartans/persians thing *sigh*

Alpha77 -> RE: OT: Dunkirk the Movie! (5/18/2017 12:07:26 PM)

But here an explaination from YT comments:
Dariusz Biskupskivor 1 Woche
I have a feeling we won't see a single German or any enemy soldier here. Nolan said it's not about war. If so this might be a great psychological thriller.

Jared Wignallvor 1 Woche
He said it's a survival film first and foremost, with aspects of a suspense film.
Caroline Elisabeth
Caroline Elisabethvor 1 Woche
It would definitely be a type of thriller, but more of a suspense kind. Imagine if you knew that you could die at literally any given point and you had no defence whatsoever except sheer luck. The ticking... it's important to show that their lives were just counting down by the second.

So it IS NOT a war or historic movie (just like Thin Red Line wasnt, but how great it was nonetheless, compared to 95% of **** coming out, the only thing I REALLY did not like in TTRL were the flashbacks to home with his girl etc. But I even like what most seem to hate, the long nature shots. 10 mins of TTRL has more art than most complete movies)

Alpha77 -> RE: OT: Dunkirk the Movie! (5/18/2017 12:22:22 PM)

Alone this scene from E.Horizon is better than the whole Interstellar/Inception for some reason overrated crap: And the actors actually CAN ACT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtyySlBW6kk

[:D]

sprior -> RE: OT: Dunkirk the Movie! (5/18/2017 12:39:52 PM)

quote:

quote:

How long had he been with the BEF before capture? Did he talk about any of it afterwards?

he was in the TA and mobilized on 1st Sep 39. I have a photo of him marked as "Portsmouth" but no date. He was a tank recovery mechanic in the RAOC (later REME). He only really talked to me about it after I'd joined the Navy.

Chickenboy -> RE: OT: Dunkirk the Movie! (5/18/2017 1:12:17 PM)

quote:

WTF does not no one even try to make good historic movies anymore eg. with Roman legions and/or Gallic/German/Celtic warriors etc. Only Gladiator had some of this years ago.

Alpha77-do you like movies about gladiators?

[image]local://upfiles/6968/1DEB56F6CDB94A89BE7803D768A0CF5B.jpg[/image]

Chickenboy -> RE: OT: Dunkirk the Movie! (5/18/2017 1:14:54 PM)

quote:

Alone this scene from E.Horizon is better than the whole Interstellar/Inception for some reason overrated crap: And the actors actually CAN ACT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtyySlBW6kk

[:D]

Meh. I'm unconvinced. To each their own.

Chickenboy -> RE: OT: Dunkirk the Movie! (5/18/2017 1:15:50 PM)

quote:

quote:

quote:

he was in the TA and mobilized on 1st Sep 39. I have a photo of him marked as "Portsmouth" but no date. He was a tank recovery mechanic in the RAOC (later REME). He only really talked to me about it after I'd joined the Navy.

Was he a 'guest' of the Germans for the duration then?

MakeeLearn -> RE: OT: Dunkirk the Movie! (5/18/2017 1:24:25 PM)

quote:

do you like movies about gladiators?

Some of them.... those with tette

[image]local://upfiles/55056/FC78696A6D5D40DCBD59003C304C45CE.jpg[/image]

Panther Bait -> RE: OT: Dunkirk the Movie! (5/18/2017 2:11:35 PM)

Uhhhh, 300 was based on a comic book, and was not intended, in any conceivable way, to be "historical".

Alpha77 -> RE: OT: Dunkirk the Movie! (5/18/2017 3:08:32 PM)

@ Chicken, not really - but the Gladiator movie was the only one in recent times that came to mind with Roman legions etc. stuff :) Or can someone suggest others? I really like to see the 3 "rows" of the legion in action (velites, triirai, hastati) And why is it, in the few movies that exist, the romans seem to fight just like the others (so how did they win their battles with much lesser armies?), they had a clever battle system and good training. It failed however in enclosed spaces like woods etc (eg. Teutoburg forest)

Also the acting in Interstellar was "wooden" as if most of them got sleeping pills, alone this comparison with "event hoizon" where actors can act should be quite clear imo.

@ Panther: Thanks, yes I admit I do not now much about newer movies and not intent to change it. So ignore the ignorance on my part for "comic movies" to each his own right ?

Yes, I was rambling without much sense above:) One guy cannot change the movie industry right [:D]

Skyros -> RE: OT: Dunkirk the Movie! (5/18/2017 4:02:04 PM)

The Eagle 2011, Centurion 2010, The Last Legion 2007. I watched them all on Netflix. Not sure if they are still there.

Alpha77 -> RE: OT: Dunkirk the Movie! (5/18/2017 4:05:52 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Skyros

The Eagle 2011, Centurion 2010, The Last Legion 2007. I watched them all on Netflix. Not sure if they are still there.

WAAAITTT, I have seen I believe 2 of these :) Can be the fact that I forgot about them perhaps mean I was not impressed... need to look into this again. [;)]

Did you like them, cause here a pic from last legion:

[image]https://i.ytimg.com/vi/5rsEx_4AEIo/maxresdefault.jpg[/image]

That looks promising as a historic movie right ??? No I do not mean the girl [:'(][:-]

Alpha77 -> RE: OT: Dunkirk the Movie! (5/18/2017 4:08:21 PM)

I bet ppl who like romances and/or dark skinned girls will like last legion...:
Which got a whopping 16% at rotten tomatoes (not that I trust reviews, but still. that is pretty low lol)

[image]https://memsaabstory.files.wordpress.com/2008/04/ll_mira.jpg[/image]

warspite1 -> RE: OT: Dunkirk the Movie! (5/18/2017 4:14:54 PM)

quote:

Uhhhh, 300 was based on a comic book, and was not intended, in any conceivable way, to be "historical".

warspite1

Loved both films - the second one provided one of the best female performances ever on celluloid; Eva Green single-handedly stole the film. Astonishing.

[image]local://upfiles/28156/A72765671B994A86B109218FF63721F2.jpg[/image]

warspite1 -> RE: OT: Dunkirk the Movie! (5/18/2017 4:17:27 PM)

quote:

quote:

WTF does not no one even try to make good historic movies anymore eg. with Roman legions and/or Gallic/German/Celtic warriors etc. Only Gladiator had some of this years ago.

Alpha77-do you like movies about gladiators?

[image]local://upfiles/6968/1DEB56F6CDB94A89BE7803D768A0CF5B.jpg[/image]
warspite1

Chickenboy have you ever seen a grown man naked?

Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI