biggest boob-boo ever (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific

osullmi -> biggest boob-boo ever (4/27/2003 8:52:03 AM)

What is yours?

Mine happened recently in a PBEM where I was whupping a**, or so I thought. I was IJN in Scen 19, and the USN was making a big push (in May-June '42) for Lunga. I had captured PM, and sent my CVs and surface forces towards Guad. The USN captured Lunga and eliminated the Kure 3d detachment (I didn't expect to need actual soldiers). Then the a** whupping began: I caught a bunch of CAs and APs at Lunga, sinking 5-6 CAs and 10-15 AP/AKs. Eventually, my pilots' morale decreased and I withdrew my CVs, while leaving the counterattack invasion in a holding pattern north of Lunga.

My plan was to stand down my air crews, return to Rabaul for a few days, and then conduct a coordinated counter-attack. I expected to eliminate at least a division of USN forces and possibly more.

However, when I stood down all my air crews and hit retire to Rabaul, I forgot to change "react to enemy" to "do not react"

My opp's CVs showed up and mine reacted to them, reversing course from Rabaul. Since all, and I mean all, my aircrews were standing down, the results weren't pretty (at least for me).

I lost Shok, Zuik, Akagi and Ryujo with heavy damage to Hiryu for no damage (not even an attempt) at the USN CVs.

The only thing I have to top that was when my force of about 7 CVs and CVLs went up against 5 USN CVs. My strikes all went for a nearby Surface Attack TF (sinking a BB, big whoop) while the USN hit me full on, sinking everybody.

I have a big probllem with CV task forces that, when overmatched in the CAP department, (a) stay in range, and (b) don't even try to counterattackagainst the enemy CVs.

Raverdave -> (4/27/2003 9:50:15 AM)

Most of the "old hands" on this board have been in the same possition as you...........it hurts bad. Knock it up as a lesson learned and re-start the game.

Snigbert -> (4/27/2003 11:45:44 PM)

My biggest mistake was agreeing to play Ron Saueracker. He's sunk about 20 of my ships by the end of May 42 and I've sunk 0 of his... I feel like I'm playing against Yamamoto. :)

Drex -> (4/28/2003 1:07:36 AM)

Mine was playing Bill Steeley. He sunk 60 of my ships before I even sank one of his. Truly a good player. However, I try to learn from my big mistakes.

mbatch729 -> Butt-Whipped Forum (4/29/2003 1:09:46 AM)

I sympathize as one who's been on the receiving a several butt whippings. Do we need to start a new forum topic for those of us who've been on the receiving side? Maybe do some opponent matching in the "losers bracket"? List of banned opponents who are too good (Bill Bowen)? :eek:

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI