Bug in Attacking a Tiger Tutorial (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns

medlinke -> Bug in Attacking a Tiger Tutorial (5/15/2001 9:05:00 AM)

So, here's the deal. I actually got a draw in this scenario and lost no complete units, and no Shermans. How you ask? When I killed the Tiger it was over an Axis victory location! I killed everyone else on the map and had all the victory locations. That one location was worth 500 points and because you can't move where a dead vehicle is...it was draw. So, okay the scenario says capture the town, but to be honest...I don't think the town can be defended to a draw by 1 dead tank and no crew against 50 american rangers and 5 shermans. Just a little reminder to smile when Murphy rears his ugly little head!

Major Ed -> (5/15/2001 9:13:00 AM)

I haven't had problems moving into the same hex as enemy vehicles in the past. Did you kill it or make the crew bail? If the vehicle was not destroyed you have to hit the SHIFT key when you select the hex to move into. I may be wrong but I don't think there is a "stacking" (to use an old board game phrase) limit.

Warrior -> (5/15/2001 10:19:00 AM)

It's a tutorial, not a scenario. The idea is to learn the technique for killing a Tiger. The score is immaterial, and may not have anything to do with the actual outcome.

Don -> (5/15/2001 12:09:00 PM)

Good call, Steve! Scores do not matter in tutorials, although when possible I've tried to make them easy to win. That one is the toughest tutorial, and I constanly heard that it was too hard! If you killed the Tiger you won, and if you did it with few or no losses you did a great job! Fabio did a great job on that!

medlinke -> (5/15/2001 7:31:00 PM)

Yeah, the crew bailed outta the tank. And I killed it, but I didn't know about the shift click move technique. I'll have to try that out for sure. Tips for making it harder, or how to reduce the way I won. Remove some of the buildings along the road. I could run between them and pick off the german infantry at long range. By the time I got into town, there were only about 4 units left and 1 was at half strength. I ran my tanks 3 south and 2 north I set them up near the N and S map edges with a vert line to the town. When my inf spotted the Tiger It only took 2 or 3 turns to get my tanks back into the fray. I had them firing 2 on the Tigers rt flank and 3 on the rear of the tank. After my second shot with the first tank (luck I suppose) the crew bailed. So...long story short. I accomplished the mission, but didn't realize the shift-click feature, which would have made it an overwhelming victory.

Major Ed -> (5/16/2001 12:23:00 AM)

There was some discussion earlier about not getting full points for abandoned vehicles. I think 5.0 is supposed to address this. You can still move an infantry unit into that hex, using the SHIFT click, and eventually they will destroy the vehicle. You know how us infantry guys are, when they wrote the proverb about ball bearings and rubber hammers, they had us in mind.

McGib -> (5/16/2001 3:04:00 AM)

When I played this tutorial my shermans never got a chance to take a shot. The tiger came charging out into the rangers, two close assaults later and it was toasted kitty. My 2 cents to make this tutorial more worth while would be to only have VH's in the town itself, that way the tiger wont come charging out, and you have to go in and dig him out instead.

Mountain Man -> (5/17/2001 12:56:00 PM)

quote:

Originally posted by Major Ed: I may be wrong but I don't think there is a "stacking" (to use an old board game phrase) limit.
I think every that for every unit in a hex it costs an extra movement point to move into that hex, so the more units the more it costs to move in. It doesn't take long before you just can't get any more in, although vehicle's with high movement rates can still get in. Don't do this though, whenever a unit is attacked, if the shot misses it might hit another unit in the hex. If there are a lot of units in a hex the chance of hitting something becomes very high. I remember once firing at a truck in a hex and destroying a tank instead! I didn't bother to shoot at the tank because the odds of hitting it were so low... Paul

Stuart Millis -> (5/18/2001 5:33:00 AM)

Don't find out like I did that there is a stacking limit on wooden bridges. I moved an inf unit onto a bridge then tried to move the armour. No way! The whole bloody Armoured company held up by some squaddy tying his bootlaces in the middle of the bridge. Good think the overrun feature does not apply to friendly units or there may have been a tank commander up on charges. :D

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI