Taking Forever To Move (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> Tech Support

GaPete_slith -> Taking Forever To Move (1/19/2017 4:09:42 AM)

I am in the late, very late, phases of the game. It's April of 46 late. A few turns ago I started having issues moving ground units. It is like it is calculating supply for every unit in the game! You can click on some units and they move just fine but, they are the exception. Most of the time, you click on a unit, and have to wait, wait, and wait, till it lets you move it to the hex you want, and then, you have to wait just as long before it will place the unit there. It takes a five minute move an hour or more. Anybody else having this problem? Any fixes?

paulderynck -> RE: Taking Forever To Move (1/19/2017 4:31:34 AM)

This has been reported by others and is because of the supply routines. Probably one or more of the major powers is incompletely conquered (or worse) and the other side has units all over the world.

There's no fix so far, but a saved game zipped and posted here couldn't hurt and without that, there likely will never be a fix

GaPete_slith -> RE: Taking Forever To Move (1/19/2017 10:43:37 AM)

I wasn't sure about the need to post the game file to begin with because this seemed to be more a function of the game than the file but, here it is. Since I've posted it, whoever wants to look at it might note a few other odd things. As you noted Paul, there were two partial conquests, however, it wasn't until they both became full conquests that this problem started. The conquests themselves also caused some problems. When Japan fully surrendered, places like Hong Kong became neutral countries. Several places that had already been fully occupied an flagged US, did the same thing. I might add that earlier in the game when places like the Solomon Islands were taken by Japan, they converted as they should but did not when the allies retook them. As you can see in this zip, Italy is fully surrendered but many swatches of land did not change after. Now the allies can enter a hex with an Italian flag but Germany cannot. It left poor Guderian unable to move and out of supply.

michaelbaldur -> RE: Taking Forever To Move (1/19/2017 12:55:09 PM)

From my experiance. It get really worse When the pact is brokken with russia. Then the number of possiable supple path is greatly increased. (All allies Can trace through) NOT sure What kind of fix is need, but there are a Big issue with units not tracing to closest. American units in france tracing aroud the world, with a primæry 1 hex away.

Viktor_Kormel_slith -> RE: Taking Forever To Move (1/19/2017 2:50:55 PM)

We played one game until 1950 and we had to left the game because this supply calculations troubles. It´s difficult to fix and even worse if you have, like me, an old computer (pentium dual core[:(] ). In fact, in my experience, the game slows from 1944 onwards. One solution or way to alleviate the problem that I use to do is playing without extra units: no art units, no cv planes, no unlimited breakdown, etc. It´s not a good solution but the supply calculations in late game are significant faster.
Every way, maybe with better computer, the late game years are more playable.[8|]

GaPete_slith -> RE: Taking Forever To Move (1/19/2017 6:45:08 PM)

No apology needed Viktor, you did better than me most of the time. I have to say this is the longest game I've ever played. Usually by 43 it's pretty obvious who is going to win and I give up and move on to another. This is the first time I've encountered this problem, yet, from what is being said here, it's like none of this seems to have triggered it. Maybe it was the complete capitulation of Italy, because it started the next turn but, in my past two games I had a partial surrender of Russia in each, and nothing happened. I also don't have troops spread out all over the world. In fact, this didn't really start till after everything got concentrated in Europe. I do know that it almost makes the game unplayable. At this point I'm considering using the self made rule that after August 1945, if Germany is still in the game, US Intelligence locates Hitler and they drop a nuke on his bunker, automatic end of war. That's just no fun though!

Centuur -> RE: Taking Forever To Move (1/19/2017 7:35:06 PM)

I've seen the same behaviour in my games after 1944. I don't think this can be fixed, except if one buys a really fast calculating computer... The more units on the map and the more supply sources available for these units, the longer the supply calculations.

GaPete_slith -> RE: Taking Forever To Move (1/20/2017 1:46:34 AM)

Centuur, all I can say is, I would hate to see it on a slow computer. The computer I am currently running it on is the same one I render CGI animations on. It's built to handle stuff that is a lot more resource needy than this. It's water cooled, quad core, maxed out on ram, with oversized fans because the graphics I do have a bad habit of heating up the cpu which is the real limit to the machine. It has barely blinked at this program before now. You could be right though, I just hope there is a way to fix it. I do love this game. It's the only one out there that covers this subject on the scale I like, and it is rather clever. That's coming from someone that was not even a fan of the original board game.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI