First time using Oil rules (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames

tom730_slith -> First time using Oil rules (1/30/2017 5:52:42 PM)

I play solitaire Global War frequently and have until now never tried the Oil Rules. I had read how it is almost a different game and can now see why.
Having played a bit with Oil I wonder if the Axis players always adjust their strategy and go for the Middle East early in Europe and NEI in Asia?

After a few turns of selective use of oil by the Germans and Japanese (and sad, wishful thinking by the Italians) I settled on pushing thru North Africa with Italian and German units with a goal of taking Suez, controlling the Eastern Med, and continuing into Jordan to activate Iraq (for the Italians) and later Persia (for the Germans)
The results were great, opening the way to both Saudi Arabia and eventually the Russian oil in the Caucasus - and ultimately bringing in Turkey on the Axis side. On the plus side this all makes for much more reliable oil resources as well as additional ground units from Turkey (which helps offset the units required for holding onto the Middle East) and also a bit more production capacity from Turkey.
On the negative side there are numerous added chances for American moves toward war.

In Asia Japan declares war against Netherlands, opening up some sweet Oil resources for plunder. Once again, the trade off is more chances for America to move to a war footing - or at least cut off shipments of resources to Japan.

But unless the Axis powers are content to play defense from 1940 on, it seems that BIG aggression is the only hope if they want their HDQTRs and Ships to run! So might as well go for it, attacking the weakest points that hold the most oil.

What really amazed me was how self-sufficient the USA is! No chance to run out of oil!

Overall it seems like the Axis has less choice in how to proceed with the Oil rules - either go for the oil or slow the advance to a crawl.
Anyone with more experience at this find other routes for the Axis? I know you can build synthetic oil, but that robs your forces from other builds.
Thoughts?

Majorball68 -> RE: First time using Oil rules (1/30/2017 6:38:03 PM)

I think you should start playing some PBEM games against other players so you can see how hard it really is to take these oil locations :)

Oil rules are good and impact the Axis more than the Allies. You should be looking to save them at every opportunity. Sometimes you don't have to reorg everything in the same turn if it saves you a whole oil resource. Sending ships out every turn for the Axis can get quite expensive for the Axis.

paulderynck -> RE: First time using Oil rules (1/30/2017 9:56:42 PM)

Yes especially for Japan you must build the Synth Plants, conserve oil costs and save oil because later in the game if you lose the NEI, it will quickly be game over if you don't have the Synths.

Germany and Italy can get along OK with the oil they have, if they're careful with how they spend it, leaving the occasional unit non-re-orged when it makes a difference. They don't need to go for the Middle East - which is high risk, high reward. But if Russia turns into a busted Barb or they choose a Close the Med but miss out on the oil, and then Sitzkrieg, they too must build Synth Plants.

tom730_slith -> RE: First time using Oil rules (2/7/2017 2:30:06 AM)

Thanks for the feedback!
Did Japan historically develop synthetic fuel the way the Germans did? The more I read about WW2 the less likely an actual Axis victory seems to have been, mainly due to resources, both natural and human. In fact the basic notion of Japanese "fighting spirit" being able to overcome technical (not to mention industrial) inferiority seems pretty lame. In fact it seems their border "war" with the Russians should have made that clear.
I haven't tried building any Synth plants yet, and I think Majorball68 makes a very good point - against a live opponent it could be MUCH harder to take Cairo/Suez and then the Middle East. But with a major effort early on while the UK is relatively weak wold seem to give the Axis a decent chance. But until I play against another human I guess I won't know!
But this has definitely shown me that it is a different game when using the oil rules!

tom730_slith -> RE: First time using Oil rules (2/7/2017 2:51:49 AM)

Looking up info on Japanese Synth Oil in WW2 found this -

With the ever-tightening blockade on Japan by the submarines, “The shortage of liquid fuel was Japan’s Achilles' Heel.” Oil imports that had risen to their peak in the first quarter of 1943 were about half that at the same time one year later in 1944 and had completely disappeared/dried up by the same time in 1945. Desperate, Japan tried many forms of improvisations as the oil situation worsened. Industrial oil was made from soy beans, peanuts, coconuts, and castor beans. Potatoes, sugar, rice, and sake were even converted to alcohol to be used as fuel. By 1944, civilian gasoline consumption was down to 257,000 gallons, just 4% of the 1940 figure. Japan revived its 1937 synthetic fuel attempts, and in 1943, Japan’s synthetic fuels production amounted to 1 million barrels – only 8% of the target amount. Over half of this value was in Manchuria, which was useless in late 1944 and 1945 due to the blockade. Besides, synthetic fuel was a drain on resources, manpower, and management and was more of a liability than an asset.

Joseignacio -> RE: First time using Oil rules (2/7/2017 9:15:21 AM)

Well, the game does not limit to what the countries did but what they could do, had they chosen to do so.

I mean, it does not allow the GE to have ICBMs because they were out of their possiblities. However, they are allowed V1 and V2, they can as well build the A bomb by the end of the war, just as the GE might have done, they can build one reaction fuelled interceptor, just like they had some experimental models, and this interceptor is as short raged as the real prototype was, because of the fuel. And all of them are extremely late in terms of the war, and expensive to build.

The japanese could possibly have built synthetic fuel factories from coal (probably mostly imported from the Continent). they didn't, now it's your time if you decide to spend your resources of that year on Yamato or a Synth Fuel Factory...

Courtenay -> RE: First time using Oil rules (2/7/2017 12:18:24 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Joseignacio
The japanese could possibly have built synthetic fuel factories from coal (probably mostly imported from the Continent). they didn't, now it's your time if you decide to spend your resources of that year on Yamato or a Synth Fuel Factory...

Actually, most of the Japanese coal came from Hokkaido. The destruction of the coal ferries from Hokkaido to Honsho by the USN on 14 July, 1945, reduced Hokkaido exports of coal by 82%. This strike has been described as "the most devastating single strategic bombing success of all the campaigns against Japan" [1]

[1] Frank, Richard B Downfall Random House, New York, 1999 p. 157

Joseignacio -> RE: First time using Oil rules (2/7/2017 1:42:46 PM)

I thought to check it but I was busy, so I left it as an hypothesis. Another one, is that (I am not sure either) but I vaguely remember of japanese coal being mostly of inferior quality, but maybe it was iron instead. The fact is that that's the reason why they had to forge the sword hundreds of times folding the iron on itself, the coal was such a bad quality they had to, whereas in Europe we had mores sources of quality coal.

tom730_slith -> RE: First time using Oil rules (2/7/2017 2:55:11 PM)

You may be remembering about the POWs in Japan that were forced to dig in "closed" mines - that is, mines that had previously been abandoned due to lack of coal ore quantity or danger to the miners.

Joseignacio -> RE: First time using Oil rules (2/7/2017 3:12:38 PM)

I was meaning that, at least in the pre-industrial stages they were using charcoal instead of regular coal for the manufacture of iron.

Charcoal the worst quality coal. Of course they probably had other sources than making coal out of wood, but they were probably scarce and very expensive.

Modern technicques may have let them discover and access more sources of mineral coal, but I wonder how much compared with the intensive use of coal that was needed, where the japanese authorities said something like " a bit of coal equals a drop of blood".

And yes, I read about POW working in previously closed mines, but I believe they were closed because of lack of manpower (as the final strain was taking all healthy man to the military, not because they were not profitable/efficient/quality before.

Neilster -> RE: First time using Oil rules (2/8/2017 1:46:55 AM)

quote:

I was meaning that, at least in the pre-industrial stages they were using charcoal instead of regular coal for the manufacture of iron.

Charcoal the worst quality coal. Of course they probably had other sources than making coal out of wood, but they were probably scarce and very expensive.

Modern technicques may have let them discover and access more sources of mineral coal, but I wonder how much compared with the intensive use of coal that was needed, where the japanese authorities said something like " a bit of coal equals a drop of blood".

And yes, I read about POW working in previously closed mines, but I believe they were closed because of lack of manpower (as the final strain was taking all healthy man to the military, not because they were not profitable/efficient/quality before.

I know English is not your first language but charcoal is made from wood and coke is made from coal.

As an aside, this piece describes the Japanese extracting fuel from pine roots...

HE WAS A frail old fellow, dressed in loose-fitting clothes, working in his garden and chopping potatoes. Less than a year before, in 1945, he was in command of one of the largest fleets that had ever been assembled by any nation. His name was Takeo Kurita, vice admiral of the former Imperial Japanese Navy.

A young U.S. naval officer named Thomas Moorer and his translator approached Kurita. They explained to the admiral that they were working for a historical study group, gathering information about the war that had recently ended for Japan on such unfavorable terms. They asked Kurita if he would agree to discuss his experiences. And so began a series of interviews of the former Japanese military commander by representatives of the U.S. Strategic Bombing Survey, Naval Analysis Division.

“We Ran Out of Oil”

Kurita held nothing back. There were no state secrets any more. “What happened?” asked the American officer. “We ran out of oil,” replied Kurita, matter-of-factly.

Again and again during the interviews with Moorer and others, Kurita referred to a lack of fuel as the key reason that the Japanese forces were ground down to memories and ghosts. Kurita reflected on why his fleet was all but annihilated at the Battle of Leyte Gulf in October 1944. Kurita explained that he brought his ships into that action without knowing whether there was sufficient fuel to bring them out of the zone of combat. Thus, Kurita’s ships sailed slowly to their fate, conceding the element of surprise to the vigilant Americans, because the Japanese commanders were attempting to conserve enough fuel to return home. And so, lacking surprise, many of Kurita’s ships never had the opportunity even to turn around before being sent to the bottom by U.S. submarines and air power, along a track of sorrow that covered several seas.

Kurita explained that during the Leyte Gulf battle, he deployed his ships on a dangerous night passage through the San Bernardino Strait. “I was low on fuel,” he said. Kurita’s fleet tankers had been sunk or dispersed. The only fuel available to the Japanese ships was whatever was in their own tanks. “Fuel was an important consideration, the basic one,” said Kurita. There was not enough fuel for his ships to sail around the adjacent landmasses, so they were forced by necessity to transit the relatively narrow straits.

Several months after the Japanese disaster at Leyte Gulf, in February 1945, forces of the U.S. Navy and Marine Corps met with no naval resistance whatsoever during the invasion of Iwo Jima. The Japanese had simply conceded the sea and airspace around the island to the American attackers. The reason was that the Imperial Navy had elected to conserve fuel for the final defense of Japan.

By early 1945, almost all ships of the Japanese fleet had been deactivated. Powerful battleships, and even aircraft carriers, that had cost immense sums to construct before the war with the U.S. and during the early years of the conflict, were mere cold iron tied up to the pier for lack of fuel. Japan’s basic military decision-making process was not how to defend against American attacks on many fronts. Japan’s main effort was simply to struggle to preserve its dwindling levels of oil reserves.

Flying on Pine Needles

By mid-1944, Japan’s economy and its military were being starved of energy supplies, the consequence of an ever-tightening noose applied by U.S. and Allied air and naval forces. U.S. submarines sank hundreds of Japanese ships in this time frame, including critically needed tankers full of oil. The American submarine campaign against Japanese sea power all but cut off the sea lines of communication between Japan and its so-called “southern resource area.”

In desperation, Japanese war planners utilized every possible means to convert available resources into fuel substitutes. The Japanese manufactured alcohol from confiscated food supplies such as potatoes, sugar, and rice, thus forcing a direct competition between human stomachs and mechanical gas tanks. But alcohol has an energy content of about 65,000 Btu per gallon, whereas aviation gasoline delivers about 130,000 Btu per gallon. So on the best of days, Japanese aircraft took off with half the energy equivalent of their American counterparts in their fuel tanks. And aerial combat proved the disparity, with American aircraft utterly dominating the skies.

People in Japan were forced to tighten their belts even more when large amounts of garden vegetables began to be used for manufacturing lubricating oils. And even old rubber products such as tires and rain slickers were “distilled” to recover whatever oil could be had. But it was not enough.

By late 1944, the Japanese navy commenced a project to manufacture aviation fuel from pine tree roots. “Two hundred pine roots will keep an airplane in the sky for one hour,” said a Navy spokesman. The Japanese navy distributed over 36,000 kettles and stills, in which countless pine tree roots met their fate. Many a hillside of Japan was utterly denuded of trees. But each kettle or still could produce only about 4 gallons of raw product, and even that required significant treatment to upgrade to anything approaching usable fuel. Compounding the problem, each still required its own fuel supply, and this exacerbated an already severe fuel shortage in Japan. By one estimate, 400,000 Japanese worked full-time in order to support a dispersed, inefficient industrial base that could produce all of about 2,500 barrels of pine oil per day. In the end, a mere 3,000 barrels of “pine root” aviation fuel were ultimately delivered to the Japanese navy. And the pine derivative gummed up aviation engines after just a few hours of use. The entire project was a massive waste.

The Way to Lose a War

Many years later, the American naval officer Thomas Moorer had retired as a four-star admiral and chairman of the U.S. Joint Chiefs of Staff. In an interview, the retired American Adm. Moorer reflected on the retired Japanese Adm. Kurita that he had met long before. “He had been in command of the entire fleet,” recalled Moorer, “and now here he was digging potatoes.”

“The lesson I learned,” said Moorer, “was never lose a war.” And the American admiral added, “The way to lose a war is to run out of oil”

Cheers, Neilster

warspite1 -> RE: First time using Oil rules (2/8/2017 5:57:37 AM)

quote:

I mean, it does not allow the GE to have ICBMs because they were out of
warspite1

I wonder if that is true. Here is one view (sorry I haven't got the source to hand at present)

The Japanese badly mismanaged their limited resources of oil. They took the logical step of trying to establish a synthetic oil industry based on their sizable supplies of coal, but this effort failed because of a lack of technical expertise and shortages of alloying and catalytic metals for the synthetic oil plants.

Neilster -> RE: First time using Oil rules (2/8/2017 10:00:59 AM)

This seems conclusive. I found it here...

http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/00033799300200211

Japan is a country largely lacking supplies of many essential natural resources including petroleum, coal, and iron ore. As her industrial base and economy expanded during the 1920s and 1930s, Japan's dependence on imports of these resources became increasingly evident. The onset of the Depression in the 1930s further threatened Japan's lifeline, and, in an effort to become economically independent and self-sufficient in natural resources (autarky), Japan's militaristic government pursued a policy of territorial expansion.

Beginning in 1937, Japan's military forces swept out of Manchuria into China and then into Southeast Asia in search of strategic materials such as petroleum, coal, copper, zinc, and rubber. To achieve independence in petroleum, the Japanese developed a dual approach: they would acquire natural petroleum sources in Southeast Asia and at the same time establish a synthetic fuel industry for the conversion of coal to oil. Actually, the Japanese had begun research on synthetic fuel in the 1920s, only a few years after other countries, such as Germany and Britain, that lacked sources of natural petroleum. They did excellent laboratory research on the coal hydrogenation and Fischer-Tropsch conversion processes, but in their haste to construct large synthetic fuel plants they bypassed the intermediated pilot-plant stage and failed to make a successful transition from small- to large-scale production.

Unable to synthesize liquid fuels from coal, they instead derived significant quantities from the technologically simpler coal carbonization and shale oil distillation processes. In the last year of World War II, the Japanese attempted to revive their synthetic fuel industry and entered into an agreement with IG Farben for technical assistance. Germany's defeat ended this final effort.

The Japanese synthetic fuel industry presents a good case study of technological failure. It shows that high-quality basic scientific research does not necessarily translate into large-scale technological success.

Cheers, Neilster

Joseignacio -> RE: First time using Oil rules (2/8/2017 2:25:00 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Neilster

quote:

I know English is not your first language but charcoal is made from wood and coke is made from coal.

Thank you for your understanding. Yes sometimes I make little mistakes that bring bigger consecuences. For example, no long ago I said I had a good education (wrong literal translation of spanish "Yo tengo una buena educacion") and somebody thought I was boasting about my degrees. But I was not, "Yo tengo una buena educacion" would really translate like "I have good manners" or "I was properly brought up". [:D]

Edit. I see, so in English "Charcoal" is not considered a "coal". Whereas in Spanish it's translation (from Wordreference) is "Carbon Vegetal", which is considered a "coal" (or "carbon").

https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carb%C3%B3n_vegetal

tom730_slith -> RE: First time using Oil rules (2/8/2017 4:50:29 PM)

Jose, I really appreciate how good your English is! My Spanish is very poor, and like most Americans I only speak English!
One of the things I LOVE about this site is that I don't just read the opinions of other Americans about the game or the war, I get to read Australians (of course! ADG after all!) but also Scandinavians, British and other Europeans, Asians and others, getting a wide range of experience and historical/geographical contexts!
This really makes coming here a much richer experience than if it was just English-speakers.
I'm pretty sure it was you Jose, who shared recently about recent Spanish history scholarship which led you and a friend to agree to a "house rule" that lets Germany activate Spain as an ally by spending 15 BPs following the fall of France. I really like that and given my more limited knowledge of Spanish history would not have come up with that on my own.
Given the impact Spain as an active Axis ally can have, I'm sure it would have to be fully agreed to by both players!
I have read that because of the devastation of Spain by the Civil War, Franco wanted significant resources from Hitler, as well as a promise to secure the Canary Islands. All that being said, it is hard to imagine Franco going to war AGAINST the Axis if Hitler warned Franco "My panzers are on the way -you will finally get Gibraltar back, with Spanish ground forces leading the way if you wish. You may join me or just stay out of my way, but we are coming. If you oppose me, after all our help during the Civil War you will regret it!"
Also from my limited reading I know there were hard line anti-communist generals that would not have minded becoming the "replacement Caudillo" if Franco chose to oppose Hitler!
Anyway, don't ever stop posting because English is your second language - I love your posts!

Neilster -> RE: First time using Oil rules (2/9/2017 12:47:41 AM)

With regard to learning another language, I've started learning German using this...

https://www.duolingo.com/

It was very well reviewed and, best of all, it's free [8D]

I've read a few snarky reviews but they seem to be mainly by advanced language users. Their complaints seem valid if you have a particular perspective but if you want to start learning a language from scratch, it seems excellent.

It won't start you with survival phrases like, "Where is the toilet?". It starts you at the very beginning, so it's not something you'd begin two weeks before that Russian holiday. I'd also recommend taking reasonably extensive notes as sometimes it's difficult to remember the earlier lessons.

Soon I'll be barking guttural commands like a Prussian general [:'(]

Cheers, Neilster

Shannon V. OKeets -> RE: First time using Oil rules (2/9/2017 2:33:03 AM)

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Neilster

quote:

Thank you for your understanding. Yes sometimes I make little mistakes that bring bigger consecuences. For example, no long ago I said I had a good education (wrong literal translation of spanish "Yo tengo una buena educacion") and somebody thought I was boasting about my degrees. But I was not, "Yo tengo una buena educacion" would really translate like "I have good manners" or "I was properly brought up". [:D]

Edit. I see, so in English "Charcoal" is not considered a "coal". Whereas in Spanish it's translation (from Wordreference) is "Carbon Vegetal", which is considered a "coal" (or "carbon").

https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carb%C3%B3n_vegetal

My mother always said that she didn't so much "raise my brother and me", it was more she just "dragged us up".

Joseignacio -> RE: First time using Oil rules (2/9/2017 8:11:02 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: tom730

Jose, I really appreciate how good your English is! My Spanish is very poor, and like most Americans I only speak English!
One of the things I LOVE about this site is that I don't just read the opinions of other Americans about the game or the war, I get to read Australians (of course! ADG after all!) but also Scandinavians, British and other Europeans, Asians and others, getting a wide range of experience and historical/geographical contexts!
This really makes coming here a much richer experience than if it was just English-speakers.
I'm pretty sure it was you Jose, who shared recently about recent Spanish history scholarship which led you and a friend to agree to a "house rule" that lets Germany activate Spain as an ally by spending 15 BPs following the fall of France. I really like that and given my more limited knowledge of Spanish history would not have come up with that on my own.
Given the impact Spain as an active Axis ally can have, I'm sure it would have to be fully agreed to by both players!
I have read that because of the devastation of Spain by the Civil War, Franco wanted significant resources from Hitler, as well as a promise to secure the Canary Islands. All that being said, it is hard to imagine Franco going to war AGAINST the Axis if Hitler warned Franco "My panzers are on the way -you will finally get Gibraltar back, with Spanish ground forces leading the way if you wish. You may join me or just stay out of my way, but we are coming. If you oppose me, after all our help during the Civil War you will regret it!"
Also from my limited reading I know there were hard line anti-communist generals that would not have minded becoming the "replacement Caudillo" if Franco chose to oppose Hitler!
Anyway, don't ever stop posting because English is your second language - I love your posts!

Well, it was us, although I didn't know it was a home rule. [:D] Before I learnt WIF with the book, I was "taught" through playing, and all the defects and "optionals" (like this one was supposed to be) that my "tutor" passed me haunted me even after having read the always-changing RAW (which made it even trickier)...

I am not sure, but I believe that, when I learnt it was a "house rule" (I believe it was here where I was enlightened [:)]), he explained me it was an optional that came in some of these yearly addenda to the rules (like Food in Flames, Factories in Flames, etc..) but not a home rule. I never cared to check.

Yes, Franco negotiated with Hitler a spanish join to the "Crusade" in the spanish-french border,

[image]http://k39.kn3.net/taringa/7/0/5/D/0/5/gca1989/DC9.jpg[/image]

but no one knows whether he was negotiating in good faith. I mean, he HAD to meet with the Big Guy, who happened to be in his own ideology mostly, but he honestly couldn't ask for more of his people, whose industrial capacity had been destroyed in the war, who were suffering (and would suffer in the following years) famine, and with highly seasoned but also highly worn out troops, after three years of Civil War with 1.000.000 dead, in a rehearsal of WWII with Luftwaffe intervention, Italian support with troops and armor, and on the other side (only) weapons from the USSR and anti-fascist voluntairs from all the world, including CW and USA units, God bless the voluntairs.

Also, there was a still strong partisan resistance, nothing that Franco couldn't cope up with in time but disturbing enough.

So, had Hitler simply force it's entrance with his armor, hoping the spanish army would step aside, most probably nothing would have happened but the diplomatic stance of Spain would have resented it, mainly because that would have made Spain be in the worst relations with Allies, almost as an Axis ally.

And there might be the remote possibility that their pass would increase and reinforce the partisans, 'cause the Spanish were very proud of their independence, and exactly an action like this is what Napoleon did when he went to invade Portugal, who was allied to the Brits.. The spanish government was changing all the time and they couldn't invade Portugal without a safe return to France if necessary so they went through Spain and they took all the Fortresses of it's ally (us) in their way, to secure their supply and retreat.

Of course this triggered the partisans that were a pain in the ass of Napoleon for all the years to come. The Brits, plus some spanish regulars' victories like Bailen (General Castańos was ill but was taken to battle in stretchers), and the huge attrition the partisans did in this mountain country gave them a serious fight, and in fact he never could conquer all of Spain. He would anyway if he hadn't had the Russian Campaing because the French Army might was unequaled, but still it was a serious blow for him.

I guess the possibility of a second internal front like he would have later in Yugoslavia, made Hitler not opt for this.

It is said that to prevent this, Franco asked for things he KNEW Hitler Wouldn't or Couldn't give, like all of Morocco (a century ago or so a spanish colony) from Vichy France and/or other "gifts", because we needed all the food and heavy machinery we could get, to reconstruct (and be able to support him in the future). Hence the O-Chit, but IIRW i think it was 2 O-Chits or 30 build points which would reflect more what the country needed at that moment and what would have meant for Germany as a supplemetary effort.

quote:

The object of the meeting was to attempt to resolve disagreements over the conditions for Spain to join the Axis Powers in their war against the British Empire. However, after seven hours of talks, the Spanish demands still appeared extortionate to Hitler - the handing over of Gibraltar once the UK was defeated, the cession of French Morocco and part of French Algeria, the attachment of French Cameroon to the Spanish colony of Guinea, and German supplies of food, petrol and arms to relieve the critical economic and military situation faced by Spain. At this time, Hitler did not wish to disturb his relations with the Vichy French regime. The only concrete result was the signing of a secret agreement under which Franco was committed to enter the war at a date of his own choosing, while Hitler gave only vague guarantees that Spain would receive "territories in Africa".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meeting_at_Hendaye

Thanks for your kind words, Tom. [sm=love0059.gif]

brian brian -> RE: First time using Oil rules (2/9/2017 2:13:41 PM)

It's not a great stretch to imagine Japan fixing their management errors and getting a SYNTH program working. There was, albeit quite limited, technology sharing between the Axis powers via U-Boats and Japanese blockade-runners docking at Bordeaux.

With Synths, I have always wondered why they remain essentially 'free' once constructed - wouldn't they be diverting a great quantity of coal otherwise on it's way to other sectors of the economy?

Re: Spain and Hitler, etc., I think the true cost of aligning Spain to the Axis would be not just economic, but political. Hitler could not ally with Spain while Vichy France existed, to be able to give Morocco to Spain. First, one would have to instantly change all of Vichy France - everything, both territorial control and all military forces, including in mainland France - to Free France. The Empire was non-negotiable for Vichy.

There would also need to be a little more in-game nuance to the political status of minors. There would need to be more than the binary condition of Full Neutral or Active Ally. The Days of Decision "Pro-Axis" status allowing German troops to enter, probably via Foreign Troop Commitment rules, would be needed. It would be more likely Spain would allow passage than would join in combat.

I think the economic cost would have to be paid on per turn basis, and include RESources, Build Points, and Oil.

Neilster -> RE: First time using Oil rules (2/9/2017 10:23:34 PM)

quote:

With Synths, I have always wondered why they remain essentially 'free' once constructed - wouldn't they be diverting a great quantity of coal otherwise on it's way to other sectors of the economy?

Probably it's been subsumed into play balance.

Cheers, Neilster

warspite1 -> RE: First time using Oil rules (2/10/2017 5:33:12 AM)

quote:

It's not a great stretch to imagine Japan fixing their management errors and getting a SYNTH program working.

But surely a “shortage of alloying and catalytic metals for the synthetic oil plants” (if that was the case) is more than management errors?

quote:

Probably because it was a board game with 30,000 pages of rules [:D] – there are plenty of things that would make it more realistic but at some point there is so much number-crunching the fun starts to escape….. Of course with a computer game the number crunching goes away, but given the basic game has yet to be finished, probably not sensible to go down that route....[;)]

quote:

Re: Spain and Hitler, etc., I think the true cost of aligning Spain to the Axis would be not just economic (with military knock-on effects), but political (with military knock-on effects). Hitler could not ally with Spain while Vichy France existed, to be able to give Morocco to Spain. First, one would have to instantly change all of Vichy France - everything, both territorial control and all military forces, including in mainland France - to Free France. The Empire was non-negotiable for Vichy.

Yes, there was a lengthy debate on this a while back and the above was the point I raised then. I like Joseignacio’s house rule because one of the problems I find with strategic games is they massively over-simplify Spain. Yes there was the economic cost to Germany – as Joseignacio’s house rule sets out to cover off - but there was also as per the above, a political cost.

1. Spain, 2. Italy and 3. Vichy France.
1 and 2 (in this scenario) are allies of Germany. They are also weak and potentially unreliable. France is not an ally (and regardless of what Petain thinks) and is going to get what’s coming to her at the end of the war. HOWEVER, of the three, Hitler is fully aware that Vichy France is also the best placed to defend her colonies from the British / Free French. But Hitler knows that he will have to commit troops to assist Spain and her defence if she becomes an ally.

And all of that does not even begin to cover how Hitler manages the three powers. The moment Hitler starts carving up Vichy, the game is up, and Petain’s whole plan (to save France and her Empire so she has a prominent place in the post WWII world) is seen as being for nothing.

Mussolini is already cheesed off that the easy spoils he joined the war for have not been forthcoming. Suddenly he sees bits of the French Empire handed out to Franco. That will go down like a cup of cold sick.

So potentially you would have the colonies of Vichy France (which has just been sold down the river) suddenly getting warm and fuzzy feelings about the Free French. Senegal (and its key port of Dakar) and Syria are beyond the immediate grab of the Axis, but Tunisia, Algeria, Corsica and Nice (all were in Mussolini’s demands to Hitler) are suddenly ripe for the plucking – and Mussolini can say that he is occupying these to forestall a move over to the Allies – and move as far west as Toulon to stop the French fleet sailing to North Africa. But the French in North Africa – already full of hate for the Italians – aren’t just going to invite them in – and neither are the French in Morocco when Spanish troops come a calling.

Hitler has eyes on his raison d’etre, and Lebensraum in the East, yet suddenly, in exchange for getting Gibraltar, the Germans have now got a mini war in the Mediterranean on his hands – none of which involves concentrating on or attacking the British – and he has, almost certainly, going to have to put troops into Metropolitan Vichy France because Petain’s Government is now a busted flush. Surely under this situation EVEN Laval isn’t going to be stepping in….

As kids nowadays love to say, that is just a mess - and a series of complications that Hitler did not need.

Joseignacio -> RE: First time using Oil rules (2/10/2017 7:01:09 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: brian brian

I don't think that GE, at least, could have coal shortage at the time, they had plenty of it in the Ruhr, it was a matter of increasing the workforce, which was easy in a GE in post-depression but still suffering serious unemployment. I don't think it would divert resources.

Joseignacio -> RE: First time using Oil rules (2/10/2017 7:34:53 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

quote:

It's not a great stretch to imagine Japan fixing their management errors and getting a SYNTH program working.

But surely a “shortage of alloying and catalytic metals for the synthetic oil plants” (if that was the case) is more than management errors?

Now, that's another matter. However, GE managed to get strategic raw materials from friendly or neutral countries, for example part of the repayment of the GE help to nationalists to massacre spanish civilians in the Spanish Civil War was dirt-cheap Wolfram/Tungsten that Franco "sold" the GE until the menacing presence of the Allies made him stop.

quote:

quote:

Re: Spain and Hitler, etc., I think the true cost of aligning Spain to the Axis would be not just economic (with military knock-on effects), but political (with military knock-on effects). Hitler could not ally with Spain while Vichy France existed, to be able to give Morocco to Spain. First, one would have to instantly change all of Vichy France - everything, both territorial control and all military forces, including in mainland France - to Free France. The Empire was non-negotiable for Vichy.

Yes, there was a lengthy debate on this a while back and the above was the point I raised then. I like Joseignacio’s house rule because one of the problems I find with strategic games is they massively over-simplify Spain. Yes there was the economic cost to Germany – as Joseignacio’s house rule sets out to cover off - but there was also as per the above, a political cost.

1. Spain, 2. Italy and 3. Vichy France.
1 and 2 (in this scenario) are allies of Germany. They are also weak and potentially unreliable. France is not an ally (and regardless of what Petain thinks) and is going to get what’s coming to her at the end of the war. HOWEVER, of the three, Hitler is fully aware that Vichy France is also the best placed to defend her colonies from the British / Free French. But Hitler knows that he will have to commit troops to assist Spain and her defence if she becomes an ally.

And all of that does not even begin to cover how Hitler manages the three powers. The moment Hitler starts carving up Vichy, the game is up, and Petain’s whole plan (to save France and her Empire so she has a prominent place in the post WWII world) is seen as being for nothing.

Mussolini is already cheesed off that the easy spoils he joined the war for have not been forthcoming. Suddenly he sees bits of the French Empire handed out to Franco. That will go down like a cup of cold sick.

So potentially you would have the colonies of Vichy France (which has just been sold down the river) suddenly getting warm and fuzzy feelings about the Free French. Senegal (and its key port of Dakar) and Syria are beyond the immediate grab of the Axis, but Tunisia, Algeria, Corsica and Nice (all were in Mussolini’s demands to Hitler) are suddenly ripe for the plucking – and Mussolini can say that he is occupying these to forestall a move over to the Allies – and move as far west as Toulon to stop the French fleet sailing to North Africa. But the French in North Africa – already full of hate for the Italians – aren’t just going to invite them in – and neither are the French in Morocco when Spanish troops come a calling.

Hitler has eyes on his raison d’etre, and Lebensraum in the East, yet suddenly, in exchange for getting Gibraltar, the Germans have now got a mini war in the Mediterranean on his hands – none of which involves concentrating on or attacking the British – and he has, almost certainly, going to have to put troops into Metropolitan Vichy France because Petain’s Government is now a busted flush. Surely under this situation EVEN Laval isn’t going to be stepping in….

As kids nowadays love to say, that is just a mess - and a series of complications that Hitler did not need.

While all this may or not be true, in the game itself I find the house rule too unbalancing. Maybe that's why it is not in the WIF. BTW I forgot to say that you needed to have collapsed Vichy earlier, which goes along with what we are speculating about politics, cause they would have had to kick Petain and occupy Vichy earlier, for they wouldn't agree to surrender their colonies...

It was not my idea, but my "teacher of the game" anyway and I never doubted it was an optional. When we came to use it, in the game , Gibraltar fell extremely fast, the Med being effectively an Italian lake, especially if the JA blocked the Red Sea, as they used to do, rendering all the units in the Med unsupplied as long as they hold the block.

The invasion of Spain, even a declaration of war by the allies to Portugal in order to get an easy beachhead, and the Azores for antisub warfare, plus rebases to Europe, at that moment (if USA was at war) or in the future ended in a new front fo the GE, true, but one where they enjoyed the help of the (not weak) spanish army and mountain land, and on the other hand they get resources and factories from Spain.

Since the med is controlled by the Axis, the Argelian resource goes to them easily, plus possibilities to align Irak and maybe Persia, with their abundant oil resources...

I think it's cheap for the axis to spend 30 BP in exchange for 3 additional resources per turn (and 4 factories if needed), plus around 6-7 corps and one Div and Franco HQ dependiong on when they join, one of them a mech corps, and all of pretty good quality, only second to GE units, in the Axis. And some ships and pilots/planes, of course.

But the main thing is that although it creates a second front, it also (IMO) buys the GE more time for the continent invasion, and the CW and USA players many times get involved in Spain in huge offensives and forget about easier and more dangerous targets like France/Netherlands/Belgium.

tom730_slith -> RE: First time using Oil rules (2/10/2017 4:59:06 PM)

The big problem, as usual, was Hitler!
Even though several high ranking German military advisors urged a Mediterranean policy including taking Gibraltar, he was too obsessed with the East to change his priorities. It is also very true that with 3 potential "allies" (Italy, Spain, Vichy) with overlapping priorities and demands he was not able to keep them all in line. For this reason I like the fact that Jose includes collapsing Vichy as a prerequisite.
Spain had a lot to lose and Franco would need to get everything he could from Hitler for sure! Once he allowed Germans across his border, even without joining the Axis, it's a pretty sure thing that the Spanish Navy would be hearing from British Naval Air before long. Also the CW could grab the Canary Islands pretty easily.
But as the game allows for decisions beyond the historical, and even some that go against the nature of certain leaders, I like to have a better option to deal in Franco & his forces!

Courtenay -> RE: First time using Oil rules (2/10/2017 5:26:11 PM)

Well, it would have helped the German cause if the first person they sent to Franco to negotiate Spain's entry to the war weren't a traitor. Read the wikipedia article on Operation Felix. It is fascinating. It also makes clear that a mere 15 BPs would not nearly have covered Franco's demands, which were designed to be more or less impossible to meet.

Joseignacio -> RE: First time using Oil rules (2/10/2017 11:02:17 PM)

It was 2 O-Chits. Plus vichy, and I consider it a bargain.

brian brian -> RE: First time using Oil rules (2/11/2017 12:14:14 AM)

If German coal supplies were in such abundance, why was Hitler so obsessed with controlling the Donbass? (Site of a war today, even).

But overall, his ideological obsessions drove the war strategy, making much of this moot.

I think a combination of Morocco and trainloads upon trainloads of stuff would have gotten at least troop access. But the Axis couldn't reach Alexandria, either, and a drive across French Nirth Africa may have become a bigger challenge.

warspite1 -> RE: First time using Oil rules (2/11/2017 10:40:21 AM)

quote:

If German coal supplies were in such abundance, why was Hitler so obsessed with controlling the Donbass? (Site of a war today, even).

I think a combination of Morocco and trainloads upon trainloads of stuff would have gotten at least troop access. But the Axis couldn't reach Alexandria, either, and a drive across French Nirth Africa may have become a bigger challenge.
warspite1

Was Hitler specifically obsessed with the Donbass? My understanding was it was the Soviet Union in general and all the resources (oil, coal, wheat, nickel, Chromium etc) it could provide so that Germany would be self-sufficient like the US. With the conquest of northeast France and Poland the Germans had access to more coal, but can you ever have enough if your are A.Hitler [;)]?

I would have thought oil from the Caucasus was chief amongst these. What was the quote? Something like "If I don't get the oil from Maikop and Grozny I must end this war".

Centuur -> RE: First time using Oil rules (2/11/2017 10:45:28 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

quote:

warspite1

Was Hitler specifically obsessed with the Donbass? My understanding was it was the Soviet Union in general and all the resources (oil, coal, wheat, nickel, Chromium etc) it could provide so that Germany would be self-sufficient like the US. With the conquest of northeast France and Poland the Germans had access to more coal, but can you ever have enough if your are A.Hitler [;)]?

I would have thought oil from the Caucasus was chief amongst these. What was the quote? Something like "If I don't get the oil from Maikop and Grozny I must end this war".

Yes, that's the quote from Hitler indeed. It was oil he was after. The Donbass was simply on the way to the oil...

tom730_slith -> RE: First time using Oil rules (2/14/2017 12:45:39 AM)

quote:

It was 2 O-Chits. Plus vichy, and I consider it a bargain.

In Solitaire it is easily done! It might be a hard sell to an allied player...

Page: [1] 2   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI