DUKW Cannot Unload Offshore (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns

ejengstrom -> DUKW Cannot Unload Offshore (5/17/2001 8:34:00 AM)

I am unable to land my US Arm Eng Squads on the beaches of Salerno because their DUKW pilots and crew will not allow them to disembark on -1 hexes. The problem I'm faced with is: If I can't drop the antimine crews off before encountering the beach mines, I have no choice but to drive my DUKW's into the minefield to deploy my engineer teams. Poor 2nd Ranger will have to hold the Krauts armor and mech infantry off alone in the hills over the beach. Question: Is this a bug, or was it practice to drive DUKW's into minefields for easier detection? I have frankly only begun using American's after years of hounding by my Semper Fi Ex-Marine buddies. The German's don't get many opportunities to land on beaches. Thanks much, Erik Engstrom

ejengstrom -> (5/17/2001 8:42:00 AM)

Hi folks, I went in with the nifty OOB editor that I haven't much used and noted the following: Ver 5.01 OOB USA Army = DUKW is listed as Class 34 Heavy Amphib USA Marine Corp = DUKW is listed as Class 33 Amphib I'm going to try changing to Class 33 and see if I can land those US Arm Eng Sqd's.

ejengstrom -> (5/17/2001 8:49:00 AM)

Amphibs can't deploy troops except on beaches. I wasn't in -1, I was in -2 and -3 on the long campaign Salerno generated map. Well thats too bad that it didn't work... I'm going to turn mines off, land my DUKW engineers on the beach and turn them back on! Any advice or input would help, certainly before I hit Normandy beach. Yours, Erik

Warrior -> (5/17/2001 9:15:00 AM)

quote:

Originally posted by Erik Engstrom: I'm going to turn mines off, land my DUKW engineers on the beach and turn them back on!
This sounds like a pretty good idea, I think I'll try it. Did you try "9" or "F9"? One of those will cause the crew to bug out of an armored vehicle, and maybe the engineers would jump, too... trouble is, I don't think you can get the crew back in again. Never tried it, but did use the "bug out" key once to evac a crew from an immobilized tank in a desert raid.

kao16 -> (5/17/2001 10:06:00 AM)

quote:

Originally posted by REMF: This sounds like a pretty good idea, I think I'll try it. Did you try "9" or "F9"? One of those will cause the crew to bug out of an armored vehicle, and maybe the engineers would jump, too... trouble is, I don't think you can get the crew back in again. Never tried it, but did use the "bug out" key once to evac a crew from an immobilized tank in a desert raid.
If you abandon a vehicle/gun for any reason then there is a possibility that the crew will re-man that unit if they are in the same hex and their morale/suppression is at a suitable level (note IIRC, "F9" is surrender the game, "9" is abandon)

AmmoSgt -> (5/17/2001 11:38:00 AM)

perhaps it should be considered that the DUKW is not a beach assualt craft .. your engineers would do better landing in landing craft ..DUKW were used in unopposed landings like when they went directly from Sicily to the Italian Mainland in 43 ..but that was a bit of an exception ... they would be bringing supplies from ships to and onto the beach as the landing developed . but not in the assualt wave , somewhere i read the primary cargo for the first wave of DUKW's would be the 105mm towed .. i can't remember the source ... and typically they would be occupied bring supplies in from ships until docks could be secured ..then they would more or less enter the general motorpool as either transport or a supply carriers .. smoke the beach come in with engineers and funnies in landing craft ..if you bombard the beach it will remove and spot mines ..at least in pre 5.0 versions..won't clear a lot of mines but i think engineers are less likely to take casualties from spotted mines ..at least that has been my experience and if you smoke the minefield so the engineers can't suffer direct fire you may survive long enought to clear a lane Sometimes it is a matter of asking units to do what they were never expected to do ..and sometimes there is no good way for them to do it without unacceptable casualties

Paul Vebber -> (5/17/2001 8:40:00 PM)

Well said AmmoSgt! There was little WW2 era engineers could do against subnerged mines...We were nearly at the point of trading one UDT diver to every handful of mines...My neighbor was UDT in KOREA and he likened it to playing Russian Roullette! lost a lot of his friends - 80% casualties in some units in WW2...War is hell...

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI