Tigercat (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition

DOCUP -> Tigercat (3/2/2017 2:46:11 AM)

What squadrons can take the Tigercat?

wdolson -> RE: Tigercat (3/2/2017 5:52:39 AM)

I don't know in game, but the Tigercat was built for the Midway class and it wasn't until the F7F-4 that the Tigercat was carrier qualified for the Eassex class. Initially the Tigercat didn't pass carrier qual at all and probably should be land based only during the WW II period.

Bill

Chickenboy -> RE: Tigercat (3/2/2017 2:02:54 PM)

Do the Allies even get the Bearcat?

witpqs -> RE: Tigercat (3/2/2017 2:23:23 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

Do the Allies even get the Bearcat?

In Babes, yes. I forget but maybe it arrives in August or September '45.

btd64 -> RE: Tigercat (3/2/2017 2:49:18 PM)

I would have to check but in vanilla scenarios you get the Bearcat as well but I believe it comes in late 1945 to early 1946.GP

crsutton -> RE: Tigercat (3/2/2017 2:56:41 PM)

8/45. An interesting plane, fast with a monster rate of climb. Good maneuver band as well. But with only 4 machine guns it is fairly weakly armed.

bomccarthy -> RE: Tigercat (3/2/2017 9:54:46 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: DOCUP

What squadrons can take the Tigercat?

In the stock scenario 6 (Dec 8 start), none (except for the recon and nightfighter versions). I think it was an oversight in the scenario design.

Rafid -> RE: Tigercat (3/3/2017 9:11:27 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: crsutton

8/45. An interesting plane, fast with a monster rate of climb. Good maneuver band as well. But with only 4 machine guns it is fairly weakly armed.

The F8F Bearcat - which was small single engine fighter. This one is included in some (all??) stock scenarios. It was as designed as light as possible to archive high climb rates – which lead to the weak armament. This also had the – intended – consequence to require very short take off range which made it possible for all CVEs to operate the plane. I believe it is a scenario design oversight that the CVE based squadrons that use the FM wildcats can’t upgrade to this.

The F7F Tigercat was huge two engine fighter, which didn’t get carrier qualification for the longest time and most frames were modified to other use. So the stock scenario use as night fighters and recon seems right to me. If things would have been different in a longer war scenario (like more resources to achieve carrier qualification) is anybody’s guess.

bomccarthy -> RE: Tigercat (3/3/2017 9:51:26 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rafid

quote:

ORIGINAL: crsutton

The F8F Bearcat - which was small single engine fighter. This one is included in some (all??) stock scenarios. It was as designed as light as possible to archive high climb rates – which lead to the weak armament. This also had the – intended – consequence to require very short take off range which made it possible for all CVEs to operate the plane. I believe it is a scenario design oversight that the CVE based squadrons that use the FM wildcats can’t upgrade to this.

The F7F Tigercat was huge two engine fighter, which didn’t get carrier qualification for the longest time and most frames were modified to other use. So the stock scenario use as night fighters and recon seems right to me. If things would have been different in a longer war scenario (like more resources to achieve carrier qualification) is anybody’s guess.

In September '45, there was one USMC squadron on the East Coast equipped with F7F-3s, operating from land bases only. It would be nice to be able to upgrade a couple of Marine squadrons to the F7F-3 - since it isn't carrier capable (similar to the F4U-1), they would operate from land bases. However, the F7F-3 is classified as a fighter-bomber in the game (if I recall correctly), so it isn't available to any Marine or Navy squadron. You would have to change it in the Editor before starting the game. I finished my GC game against the AI in April 1946 with more than 300 F7F-3s in the pool, and nowhere to put them.

zuluhour -> RE: Tigercat (3/6/2017 4:04:25 PM)

I have them on the Midway in November '45.

DOCUP -> RE: Tigercat (3/8/2017 1:32:09 AM)

Zulu you are alive.

zuluhour -> RE: Tigercat (3/10/2017 10:13:15 AM)

......low profile

sandlance -> RE: Tigercat (3/10/2017 11:08:17 AM)

They appear in the "Downfall" Scenario. One on USS Midway and two Marine Sqns.

zuluhour -> RE: Tigercat (3/10/2017 11:55:09 AM)

I cant recall in my game if I "upgraded" to them on the Midway or they arrived on board. I have a feeling I used the upgrade. I have little confidence in them
as their armament is so weak. They will provide low alt CAP (72 of them) for the fleet off......

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI