RE: AI Files - Updating your build with the latest versions (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room

azura987 -> RE: AI Files - Updating your build with the latest versions (11/15/2019 9:44:02 PM)

thanks very much! makes it much more clearer now ;)

Hister_MatrixForum -> RE: AI Files - Updating your build with the latest versions (12/6/2019 5:41:20 PM)

"6) There are problems with some of the Guadalcanal scenario data (as Andy acknowledged in the thread), but fortunately Justus2 fixed it and made the changes available as an additional Scenario 4 download (on 12/20/2014). So go ahead and update your SCEN folder with Andy's exe, but then download the attachment from Justus2 (this one IS a zip file) and then drop the contents into your SCEN folder, saying "yes" for all overwrites."

Hey there. Tried to do this step but I get no owerwrite prompt. I checked why not and it is because Justus2 files are named differently from what I have available in the folder. What sould I do? Thank you.

BBfanboy -> RE: AI Files - Updating your build with the latest versions (12/6/2019 7:08:00 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hister_MatrixForum

"6) There are problems with some of the Guadalcanal scenario data (as Andy acknowledged in the thread), but fortunately Justus2 fixed it and made the changes available as an additional Scenario 4 download (on 12/20/2014). So go ahead and update your SCEN folder with Andy's exe, but then download the attachment from Justus2 (this one IS a zip file) and then drop the contents into your SCEN folder, saying "yes" for all overwrites."

Hey there. Tried to do this step but I get no owerwrite prompt. I checked why not and it is because Justus2 files are named differently from what I have available in the folder. What sould I do? Thank you.

Did you extract the contents of the zip file after copying it into the folder?

Hister_MatrixForum -> RE: AI Files - Updating your build with the latest versions (12/6/2019 7:40:30 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

quote:

Did you extract the contents of the zip file after copying it into the folder?

Yes I did. It doesn't overwrite the files because the naming is different. Original is for example "ADetail04.bmp" while Justus2 is named "ADetail044.bmp".

Kull -> RE: AI Files - Updating your build with the latest versions (12/7/2019 11:31:03 AM)

You are correct - there is not an overwrite. Justus actually created a new Guadalcanal scenario, #44, which is the same as #4 except it has all his fixes. My instructions were based on a quick read of that thread, but I'd never actually looked at his download to see what it contained. Having just done that, it appears to be a complete scenario package, complete with "readme" file, so it should work work fine.

I'll need to update the appropriate post to clarify things - thanks for highlighting the issue!

Hister_MatrixForum -> RE: AI Files - Updating your build with the latest versions (12/7/2019 12:30:29 PM)

Thank you for the explanation! In order to avoid having duplicats I will simply rename Justus's files and overwrite the originals.

BBfanboy -> RE: AI Files - Updating your build with the latest versions (12/7/2019 8:10:04 PM)

quote:

Thank you for the explanation! In order to avoid having duplicats I will simply rename Justus's files and overwrite the originals.

Or move the originals to an update boneyard folder, or just change something in the original filename so that the game ignores it. Try making the file extension ".old".

JamesHunt -> RE: AI Files - Updating your build with the latest versions (12/10/2019 5:00:48 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kull

quote:

ORIGINAL: azura987

I have read the whole post and I'm still a bit confused. If I wish to update the AI of "dababes lite" with latest andy mac's ai files, I have understood to use updated "scen 1" files instead of those of "dababes lite", is that right?
Thing is what files exactly do I replace? (of scen 26 dababes lite) That's the part that is still blurry for me. Sorry still a noob here :)

Alfred hit the main points, but just to add a bit more:

- The most recent DaBabesLite is dated December 2013.
- The last "official" AI update from Andy (the exes that accompanied patch 07) has files dated June 2012.

At that point, Andy's map and OOB were still fully compatible with the original release, and in fact he states that his database updates include the important fixes added to the later DaBabes releases. Accordingly, I am assuming that all the DaBabes files include his 2012 AI, not the one from 2010.

I´ve downloaded BabesLite A scen 26 (improved stock scen 1) from the dedicated webpage and the AI files are dated 31st July 2010 so I assume its the old AI?

I also want to throw in my question here. I am looking for a version of the scenario 1 7th Dec grand campaign which is considered:
- most historical OOBs, no fictional additions
- which offers the most rich and most historical features/balance
- which is AI compatible
- which had some time/exposition to be tested in order to confirm that it is working as intented

From my own research I´ve came to the conclusion that mentioned BabesLite A scen 26 updated manually with the 2012 scen 1 AI which is then played on "hard" difficulty is the best choice for me. Is this a good pick or is there something which suits my plan better?

Thanks for the AI files tutorial by the way.

Kull -> RE: AI Files - Updating your build with the latest versions (12/10/2019 5:26:59 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: JamesHunt

I´ve downloaded BabesLite A scen 26 (improved stock scen 1) from the dedicated webpage and the AI files are dated 31st July 2010 so I assume its the old AI?

Oooooh, thanks for that! I hadn't dug in in to check, but yes, that means the DaBabes AI is still using the 2010 files. I'll post something further upthread to that effect.

quote:

I also want to throw in my question here. I am looking for a version of the scenario 1 7th Dec grand campaign which is considered:
- most historical OOBs, no fictional additions
- which offers the most rich and most historical features/balance
- which is AI compatible
- which had some time/exposition to be tested in order to confirm that it is working as intented

From my own research I´ve came to the conclusion that mentioned BabesLite A scen 26 updated manually with the 2012 scen 1 AI which is then played on "hard" difficulty is the best choice for me. Is this a good pick or is there something which suits my plan better?

I think that is a good set of choices. Going a couple steps further (and assuming you are playing as Allies against the Japanese computer):

1) Delete (or rename) all AI variant files 007 and above. 1 through 6 are the most historical.

2) Especially when playing Scen1, give the Japanese AI time to expand. By all means fight back where attacked, but do it using historical force groupings. Also you have the advantage of historical fore-knowledge. You know where and when the Japanese actually attacked. Don't use that to anticipate and ambush the AI. It might seem fun at first, but the rest of your campaign will suck. As a general rule if you allow the AI to achieve, roughly, it's historical expansion by say July or August 1942, it will be able to give you a more challenging experience in the months and years to come.

quote:

Thanks for the AI files tutorial by the way.

You are welcome!

JamesHunt -> RE: AI Files - Updating your build with the latest versions (12/10/2019 5:52:55 PM)

Great, exactly the information I was looking for!

Because BabesLite A is made for the 026 slot I need to rename the 2012 update´s scen 1 AI files. Just want to make sure I don´t screw this up, I need ONLY to rename/overwrite the following files?

[img]https://i.imgur.com/SKJ4NUX.jpg[/img]

Then optionally remove all AI variants 007 and above as you suggested if looking for the most historical Japanese AI warplan. Finally move everything in the BabesLite A folder to the SCEN folder located in the WITPAE install location.

Kull -> RE: AI Files - Updating your build with the latest versions (12/10/2019 6:16:02 PM)

Exactly. Going one step further, you can take full control over which variant is used by the AI (for example, you want to start a different campaign, but don't want to face an AI doing all the same things). In that case, delete all the variants (including the one without a dash number) except one (we'll use aei001-04.dat as an example) and then rename that file from aei001-04.dat to aei026.dat.

That way you are guaranteed to face the Scen1 04 variant. Next campaign maybe choose 02 instead, etc. Capiche?

JamesHunt -> RE: AI Files - Updating your build with the latest versions (12/10/2019 6:30:19 PM)

Got it, good tip

thanks again

Kull -> RE: AI Files - Updating your build with the latest versions (5/5/2020 6:05:24 PM)

Bumping this for the many new players here. Most are not aware that even the most recent game version available from Matrix (2015: v1.01.26a) is still using the 2010 AI files AND does not have ANY database fixes. You'll need the files linked to from this thread in order to fix both issues.

Sardaukar -> RE: AI Files - Updating your build with the latest versions (5/24/2020 9:32:10 AM)

Again bump, this is essential for good gameplay vs. AI.

vinnie71 -> RE: AI Files - Updating your build with the latest versions (7/22/2020 6:22:31 AM)

Hi I'm back to the game after a long hiatus and came to this thread by sheer accident.

Sorry for the forthcoming dumb questions but I'm negated with IT....

So my favourite scenario is BigBabesB with extended map. Is there an AI mod that would be compatible with this mod? If so where do I find it?

RangerJoe -> RE: AI Files - Updating your build with the latest versions (7/22/2020 1:39:42 PM)

No new AI for that mod. Check this thread:

https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3198064

Bleek -> RE: AI Files - Updating your build with the latest versions (7/22/2020 5:12:01 PM)

quote:

Bumping this for the many new players here. Most are not aware that even the most recent game version available from Matrix (2015: v1.01.26a) is still using the 2010 AI files AND does not have ANY database fixes. You'll need the files linked to from this thread in order to fix both issues.

Oh.

Should a complete newbie (like me) update all these files for the best experience?

I just spent 8 hours setting up my first turn - is my save now a dud? [&:]

Alfred -> RE: AI Files - Updating your build with the latest versions (7/22/2020 5:25:15 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bleek

quote:

Oh.

Should a complete newbie (like me) update all these files for the best experience?

I just spent 8 hours setting up my first turn - is my save now a dud? [&:]

No, the old AI files remain serviceable. Don't confuse the exhortations of long term players, who have already played many games against the original AI scripts and therefore appreciate the newness of the updated AI scripts, as being the word of God delivered on stone tablets to new players who haven't yet played a single game against the original scripts.

As far as using the newer scripts, then yes your 8 hour investment is wasted. The AI script is selected immediately upon scenario selection and will not alter subsequently. You have to start afresh by downloading the newer AI scripts and then selecting the scenario.

Up to you. Either just start afresh or enjoy the original AI script already chosen by the game. It was good enough for the plank holders.

Alfred

Bleek -> RE: AI Files - Updating your build with the latest versions (7/22/2020 5:45:56 PM)

Thanks, I'll cut my teeth on the old world then. [:)]

vinnie71 -> RE: AI Files - Updating your build with the latest versions (7/22/2020 6:01:58 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: RangerJoe

Thanks for the heads up

RangerJoe -> RE: AI Files - Updating your build with the latest versions (7/22/2020 6:48:01 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: vinnie71

quote:

ORIGINAL: RangerJoe

Thanks for the heads up

You are welcome.

Yaab -> RE: AI Files - Updating your build with the latest versions (7/23/2020 5:38:00 AM)

quote:

Hi I'm back to the game after a long hiatus and came to this thread by sheer accident.

So my favourite scenario is BigBabesB with extended map. Is there an AI mod that would be compatible with this mod? If so where do I find it?

Read the thread from the very beginning. Plenty of information on how to port the updated AI into any mod you like.

vinnie71 -> RE: AI Files - Updating your build with the latest versions (7/24/2020 4:48:01 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Yaab

quote:

Read the thread from the very beginning. Plenty of information on how to port the updated AI into any mod you like.

I did and honestly I got lost... I'm hopeless with such stuff

Kull -> RE: AI Files - Updating your build with the latest versions (7/27/2020 11:19:28 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bleek

Thanks, I'll cut my teeth on the old world then. [:)]

To follow up on Alfred's point - I completely agree that new players can get real value in starting off with the older AI files. The reality is that your first few games are going to be a huge learning experience, and most folks make so many mistakes that they soon start over. So you haven't really wasted your time - almost nobody (and that probably should be changed to "absolutely nobody") starts their first campaign and plays it through to completion.

That said, I would still recommend that new players implement the 2012 AI fixes (the ones I highlight in the second post of this thread). And the reason for that is two-fold:

1) "AI files" aren't just "better AI". Just as important, they include a number of database fixes. So certain elements of unit and location data which were definitely broken in the 2010 AI files are fixed in the 2012 versions. Not all, but many.

2) The 2012 files include a full set of "AI Variants", which means the AI will employ different strategies depending upon which variant file it selects (a random process which takes place on Turn 1 of every scenario - and cannot be altered from that point forward). So if you are using the 2012 updates, you'll get database fixes AND improved AI AND more variants. The downside? None.

And that matters, because even though Andy has released newer AI files since 2012 - and there's no doubt the newer AI files are better and include additional database fixes - here's the dirty little secret: There's only ONE AI FILE per scenario. In other words, there are no variants in ANY scenario you play against the AI using a post-2012 AI release.

So be very careful about using the post-2012 scenarios. I wouldn't recommend them to a new player, simply because you'll learn all of the AI's new tricks and won't have the benefit of that "surprise" when your skills have improved enough for it to really make a difference in your enjoyment of the game.

Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI