Oil slick (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition

MakeeLearn -> Oil slick (3/29/2017 6:58:57 PM)

Oil slick spotted

Is that always a indication of a sub, or could it be any ship?

Lecivius -> RE: Oil slick (3/29/2017 7:00:54 PM)

Supposedly a sub, but it could be anything including fanciful reporting by some Sky King bored outta his mind [;)]

MakeeLearn -> RE: Oil slick (3/29/2017 7:08:58 PM)

Iam suspecting if not a false report, that it could also be a "passed through" hex and not necessarily still in the hex.

btd64 -> RE: Oil slick (3/29/2017 7:12:10 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: MakeeLearn

Iam suspecting if not a false report, that it could also be a "passed through" hex and not necessarily still in the hex.

It's an oil slick, or not. Any ship could have dumped oil there. Friendly or not. Surface or sub....GP

MakeeLearn -> RE: Oil slick (3/29/2017 7:17:55 PM)

quote:

Friendly or not. Surface or sub

Another gem of WitPAE

btd64 -> RE: Oil slick (3/29/2017 7:32:31 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: MakeeLearn

quote:

Friendly or not. Surface or sub

Another gem of WitPAE

[;)]. Fog of War is a beautiful thing....GP

Trugrit -> RE: Oil slick (3/30/2017 11:39:38 AM)

Sargasso.

When I was a young signalman In the Atlantic I took in a flashing light signal where the captain of a ship
Had reported back that a spotted oil slick was Sargasso.

It took me a while to get the word Sargasso. I had no idea what that was at the time.

Sargassum mostly found in the Atlantic but can also be found in the Pacific
http://oceanexplorer.noaa.gov/facts/sargassum.html

K

Revthought -> RE: Oil slick (3/30/2017 1:45:56 PM)

I always took it to mean, without much evidence, as an indicator of a possibly damaged or sunk submarine in a hex. The only evidence for this I have is that I noticed that I am more likely to see "oil slick spotted" after I've either:

a. Engaged a submarine with surface forces and gotten "hits" on that submarine; or
b. Aircraft flying ASW missions report a hit on a submarine

Macclan5 -> RE: Oil slick (3/30/2017 2:47:52 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Revthought

I always took it to mean, without much evidence, as an indicator of a possibly damaged or sunk submarine in a hex. The only evidence for this I have is that I noticed that I am more likely to see "oil slick spotted" after I've either:

a. Engaged a submarine with surface forces and gotten "hits" on that submarine; or
b. Aircraft flying ASW missions report a hit on a submarine

+1

Add further.... "retreat path of a ship (particularly a submarine) I think I have previously damaged. i.e. Oil slick reported 4 hexes north west west of Baker Island when I think I can see through FOW and hit a sub on the west side of the Hawaiian islands.

But that to is without specific evidence on how the engine works..etc

rustysi -> RE: Oil slick (3/30/2017 10:27:50 PM)

quote:

Fog of War is a beautiful thing....GP

Yeah, but I keep running into walls, and its starting to hurt.[:'(]

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI