New Lawrence Livermore Laboratories nuclear detonation films released (Full Version)

All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion

Chickenboy -> New Lawrence Livermore Laboratories nuclear detonation films released (5/5/2017 1:59:06 PM)

Representatives of Lawrence Livermore Laboratories and the film industry are digitizing some of the atomic bomb movies shot on old nitrate film in the 1950s. Several have been declassified and 60 of them are here on a YouTube playlist:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLvGO_dWo8VfcmG166wKRy5z-GlJ_OQND5

I find these fascinating and, in some cases, beautiful.

Some of the more interesting ones are:

Dominic-Housatonic 120256 and Dominic Harlem- beautiful stellate atmospheric airbursts

Plumbbob-Diablo 41549 and Teapot-Tesla-low altitude / ground burst testing

Teapot Tesla 28652-close up of ground effect from fireball and blast

Plumbob-Rainier 43771-an underground mountain "shot" which produces some visible reduction in the mountain.

wodin -> RE: New Lawrence Livermore Laboratories nuclear detonation films released (5/5/2017 3:04:43 PM)

LINK

This is one of the most frightening recon

pzgndr -> RE: New Lawrence Livermore Laboratories nuclear detonation films released (5/5/2017 5:10:50 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

If you look closely at the first few seconds, you can see the Mach Stem Effect. The physics is fascinating. But the rest of it all is pretty absurd.

Chickenboy -> RE: New Lawrence Livermore Laboratories nuclear detonation films released (5/5/2017 6:41:36 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: wodin

LINK

This is one of the most frightening recon

That (Teapot-Turk) was only something like a 24 KT 'shot' too, Wodin. Small potatoes by today's typical warheads.

Chickenboy -> RE: New Lawrence Livermore Laboratories nuclear detonation films released (5/5/2017 6:43:24 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: pzgndr

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

If you look closely at the first few seconds, you can see the Mach Stem Effect. The physics is fascinating.

Never knew that. Interesting.

Rosseau -> RE: New Lawrence Livermore Laboratories nuclear detonation films released (5/6/2017 1:14:25 AM)

I believe the largest warhead in the U.S. arsenal is the B83 at 1.2 megatons (1.2 million tons of TNT).

But back in the day, I think USSR was up to the 20-30 megaton range?

Sarge -> RE: New Lawrence Livermore Laboratories nuclear detonation films released (5/6/2017 2:29:37 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: rosseau

I believe the largest warhead in the U.S. arsenal is the B83 at 1.2 megatons (1.2 million tons of TNT).

But back in the day, I think USSR was up to the 20-30 megaton range?

I thought the yield was like 9 megatons ? and iirc there was a even larger air-deliverable warhead

Rosseau -> RE: New Lawrence Livermore Laboratories nuclear detonation films released (5/7/2017 2:06:45 AM)

Quick search revealed a decent article. I'm sure there are better out there, too:

http://nationalinterest.org/blog/the-buzz/the-most-dangerous-nuclear-weapon-americas-arsenal-13433

Growing up in the Sixties, never knew how close we came during Cuban crisis. And never so happy to see the Wall come down, freeing up our brave troops in Europe. But now we have Putin [;)]

Aurelian -> RE: New Lawrence Livermore Laboratories nuclear detonation films released (5/7/2017 2:57:28 AM)

Tsar Bomba: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pu88gb1EpmI

Rosseau -> RE: New Lawrence Livermore Laboratories nuclear detonation films released (5/7/2017 9:26:11 PM)

Thanks - I think [;)]

I remember seeing this, but forgot the megaton range. My God.

demyansk -> RE: New Lawrence Livermore Laboratories nuclear detonation films released (5/7/2017 11:58:26 PM)

Hi guys, I am watching a special on Smithsonian Channel and they have a one hour special about the blasts in Nevada etc. It's called A - Bombs over Nevada.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI