Setting up dot base sub hubs (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition

Lawless1 -> Setting up dot base sub hubs (5/7/2017 5:52:47 PM)

Currently play against IJA/N AI in DBabe Lite Scenario #26.

Think of point sub hub at either French Frigate, Laysan or Kure Island. Will eventual shift to Midway once I get it build up.

Beside AS, what other ships might be utilized to support sub ops from a dot hex.

My thinking is to put the maximum amount of supplies and fuel at base, than add one AS for sub opps, one AVP to support Pat a/c for search to see if anyone is sneaking up on the base.

AG or AR perhaps? Of course the Island are not far from PH, so the AR many not be used here, but as I expand my AO further into the pacific then damaged subs might not make it back to PH.

Spent the last hour searching the forum, I know I have seen some thoughts on this but haven't re-found it. Still looking after I post this

Thanks in advance

GetAssista -> RE: Setting up dot base sub hubs (5/7/2017 6:05:07 PM)

Apart from AS you need fuel, either from port (but unloading is slooow) or from disbanded tanker (but it ties up tanker close to enemy territory)

BillBrown -> RE: Setting up dot base sub hubs (5/7/2017 6:20:44 PM)

I would use Midway to start. It can hold enough fuel for sub ops. Put an AS full of supply and you should be set to go for a while.
You will need to move supply there occasionally to restock the AS.

btd64 -> RE: Setting up dot base sub hubs (5/7/2017 6:33:58 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: BillBrown

I would use Midway to start. It can hold enough fuel for sub ops. Put an AS full of supply and you should be set to go for a while.
You will need to move supply there occasionally to restock the AS.

Also, Put an AR ship there for light repair work. 5 points and lower. Later move a ARD with 3k ton capacity....GP

Lawless1 -> RE: Setting up dot base sub hubs (5/7/2017 7:27:54 PM)

Thanks everyone.

Will the yard oilers, the ones that have about a 700 capacity refuel a sub?

BillBrown -> RE: Setting up dot base sub hubs (5/7/2017 7:33:27 PM)

they should if disbanded into the port. I have not tried it.

Lawless1 -> RE: Setting up dot base sub hubs (5/7/2017 9:22:28 PM)

Guess I'll have to try it

Bullwinkle58 -> RE: Setting up dot base sub hubs (5/7/2017 10:19:45 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lawless1

Guess I'll have to try it

As others have said, if you have Midway, use Midway. It has a chance of defending itself and your assets. A dot base is naked.

paolorossi -> RE: Setting up dot base sub hubs (5/9/2017 2:59:29 PM)

I'm in july 1943 and I'm using since beginning of '42 Adak Island to cover Japan Islands, and since mid '42 also Pago Pago for all southern IJN atolls, Rangoon/Colombo for Burma and arounds, Darwin for Dutch East india, and finally Lunga for all Solomons/Rabaul and nearby Islands/lands
in all of them 1/2 AS at least 1 AD, 1 AG, 1 AM and a couple of SC
seems to work smoothly for me
Paolo

Macclan5 -> RE: Setting up dot base sub hubs (5/9/2017 4:33:31 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58

As others have said, if you have Midway, use Midway. It has a chance of defending itself and your assets. A dot base is naked.

+1

A dot base likely has no CAP for example.

Midway can be a formidable nut even relatively early with a squadron of Fighters / TBDs / and Catalinas; the trick is getting there with supplies and no IJN raids to disrupt you.

As the General also opined. AS / AR / AO / AD and another auxiliary that provides enough float plane support for the Catalina's so as to boost the ENG air support levels.

Jorge_Stanbury -> RE: Setting up dot base sub hubs (5/9/2017 4:45:18 PM)

I would add ARD (a small one would be enough) to your list, most of the times the submarine will return with more than 5 damage; so better if you can repair float damage too

Sardaukar -> RE: Setting up dot base sub hubs (5/9/2017 4:54:46 PM)

Midway and get AS, AR, ARD there (possibly AV/AVD..and if you want to put PT boats there against Bombardment runs, AGP). There is no need for AO or AD, since AD does not repair subs and you can ship enough fuel there (subs do not consume a lot). AOs are valuable assets and have lot of other duties.

From manual:

AD Destroyer Tender An auxiliary used to tend destroyer type ships, including repair and rearming.

Macclan5 -> RE: Setting up dot base sub hubs (5/9/2017 5:21:20 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sardaukar

Midway and get AS, AR, ARD there (possibly AV/AVD..and if you want to put PT boats there against Bombardment runs, AGP). There is no need for AO or AD, since AD does not repair subs and you can ship enough fuel there (subs do not consume a lot). AOs are valuable assets and have lot of other duties.

From manual:

AD Destroyer Tender An auxiliary used to tend destroyer type ships, including repair and rearming.

Yes - fair enough..

Albeit I was also referring to Midway early - "tough nut to crack" i.e. early 42 while the base is under development...

i) In Stock as I recall there is no ARD right away.. perhaps in mods but not in stock.

ii) AO or a Tanker (?) Guidance noted ... the point being a fuel supply till supplies can be built up. Not forever as a target.

Verses the AI (for certain) and potentially verses a number of IJN players I suspect the IJN is ready to raid any build up of Midway.

The AD support is actually what I use for a small (Bristol class IIRC) Destroyer Flotilla or Squadron that prowls near to Midway and back and forth to Pearl. Better than PT boats or more effective imho..

A small DD squadron is mostly (usually) nimble enough to duck an air attack of IJN CVLs for example and potent enough to raid / flip into on the spot ASW / behind Midway.. I had one such squadron successfully finish off some raiders from the IJN ..

However - as you correctly point out the AD is not for subs as the thread asks about.

Sardaukar -> RE: Setting up dot base sub hubs (5/9/2017 5:44:18 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Macclan5

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sardaukar

From manual:

Yes - fair enough..

Albeit I was also referring to Midway early - "tough nut to crack" i.e. early 42 while the base is under development...

i) In Stock as I recall there is no ARD right away.. perhaps in mods but not in stock.

ii) AO or a Tanker (?) Guidance noted ... the point being a fuel supply till supplies can be built up. Not forever as a target.

Verses the AI (for certain) and potentially verses a number of IJN players I suspect the IJN is ready to raid any build up of Midway.

The AD support is actually what I use for a small (Bristol class IIRC) Destroyer Flotilla or Squadron that prowls near to Midway and back and forth to Pearl. Better than PT boats or more effective imho..

A small DD squadron is mostly (usually) nimble enough to duck an air attack of IJN CVLs for example and potent enough to raid / flip into on the spot ASW / behind Midway.. I had one such squadron successfully finish off some raiders from the IJN ..

However - as you correctly point out the AD is not for subs as the thread asks about.

Fair enough too. Midway would take time to develop and human IJ player would certainly attack it (be it bombardment or CV TF attacks). It'd take close to end of 1942 to build it up, especially since it has troop/supply limit. So early 1942, it'd be useless as repair base, but possible for rearm/refuel point.

CAVEAT: It'd be horribly vulnerable before having AF able to sustain enough planes.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI