Gliders or paras? (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns

TotenkopfZZ -> Gliders or paras? (5/22/2001 7:11:00 AM)

Which is a better method for the delivery of troops? Mainly, which one will get the troops to the landing zone in one piece most often?

sven -> (5/22/2001 7:26:00 AM)

quote:

Originally posted by TotenkopfZZ: Which is a better method for the delivery of troops? Mainly, which one will get the troops to the landing zone in one piece most often?
both gliders will let you transport light guns. paras are tougher(imho)

BruceAZ -> (5/22/2001 7:28:00 AM)

Paras are, in my opinion, better as they can arrive and take less suppression/damage than those in gliders. Gliders are good for AT guns or other pieces of equipment. In some cases, I have seen gliders crash into rocks or houses and you lose aircraft and occupants. Not good. I use gliders only when I know the terrain.

Figmo -> (5/22/2001 9:02:00 AM)

Gliders - In my opinion!! You get 5 - in the German OOB - for just a little more and you can put AT Guns, extra machine guns, etc. in one of them. BTW - how do most of you get them down safely? Saturating the area with artillery and a few dive bombers before they come in - seems to either suppress or kill anybody that is close and gives them a chance to get going in good order. Figmo [ May 21, 2001: Message edited by: Figmo ]

Daniel Oskar -> (5/22/2001 10:35:00 AM)

Which is a better method for the delivery of troops? [/QUOTE] I don't know about the game engine, but in reality it depends on a couple things. In a night drop/landing, paras have the edge. There is a real posibility of personal injury to the jumpers, but by and large they will get down intact. Spread all over creation, but able to fight. Gliders have the advantage of putting a unit together in the LZ, but pilots will be unable to pick out obsticles until they are too close to react, with the resulting accident rate being pretty high. In day drops gliders look a lot better, except for the problem of being shot full of holes on the way down in both cases.

lnp4668 -> (5/22/2001 11:17:00 AM)

My in game experiences shown that gliders are a much better way to drop troops. With careful planning of the drop hex and takes into account the fact that gliders tend to overshoot by 3 or 4 hexes, it is easy to drop a group of troop in close proximity to each other. With paradrops, your troop tends to scatter too widely to make them effective the first few rounds after the drop. Gliders are also cheaper ;)

Randy -> (5/23/2001 1:00:00 AM)

I like to use a combination approach. I will airdrop paras to secure the drop zone, and then have gliders come in if I am bringing in heavy stuff (arty, jeeps etc.) If I am bringing in the light tanks though, I will have their gliders come in during the initial landing, for firepower support. Semper Fi Randy

Resisti -> (5/23/2001 3:28:00 PM)

A bit off topic and much silly question: Is there a way to check during gameplay which turn yr paras or gliders are expected to come? I always find myself scratching my head trying to remember it :o

Resisti -> (5/24/2001 2:59:00 PM)

Just bumping it up to see if somebody can reply to my question above. Txs.

Panzer Commander -> (5/24/2001 8:25:00 PM)

Resisti - Go to the unit menu (clipboard icon with white page on it) Scroll down to the glider/cargo plane/special-forces in question and it should give you a turn number Tx when it should arrive. A T99 means it will not arrive (in case of Partisans or Special Forces)

Resisti -> (5/25/2001 3:20:00 PM)

quote:

Originally posted by Panzer Commander: Resisti - Go to the unit menu (clipboard icon with white page on it) Scroll down to the glider/cargo plane/special-forces in question and it should give you a turn number Tx when it should arrive. A T99 means it will not arrive (in case of Partisans or Special Forces)
Txs for yr help but,noway,the unit menu it doesnt show this info for gliders or cargoes(while it show it for special forces). Anybody else knows the reply ?

Mikimoto -> (5/25/2001 4:21:00 PM)

Hello Resisti. The display for special forces turn arrival was, in version 4.5, in the roster screen. You could see the turn, and cheat if it was turn99 because you could cancel and reassign until the turn of arrival was diferent of 99. Now, in features screen you can see this: 37) Removed turn display from special forces reinforcement info in deployment so they can't be reassigned once you notice they weren't coming. About turn of arrival of gliders and air transport, in version 4.5 it was ever turn 1. In version 5.XX I have not played with gliders/cargos yet. Hope this helps.

Mai Thai -> (5/25/2001 4:38:00 PM)

to Resisti: this is what i found in the manual for version 5.01: "When assigning transport and gliders objectives during deployment, the player may select the turn in which these units arrive. The hot key, ‘t’ in the assignment screen will evoke a query, in which the player will type in the turn number. Each unit may be assigned a separate turn in which to arrive." I hope this will help you! bye

Resisti -> (5/25/2001 5:09:00 PM)

Ok guys,txs you all for replying,but my question was different: is there a way,other than to keep it written on a piece of paper,DURING THE GAMEPLAY (not during the deploy phase), to see when yr gliders and air cargoes are expected to come? This would helpful to prepare them the way,by artillery missions i.e. Txs.

Wild Bill -> (5/25/2001 6:53:00 PM)

I thought there was Federico, but I did a little testing this morning and I could not find a way to determine that. I guess the designers will have to let you know in the text file. In most cases the gliders or paras usually come in prior to turn one, like pre-turn bombardment or pre-turn air attacks. If I find a way, I'll let you know...WB

Figmo -> (5/25/2001 10:49:00 PM)

Resisti, The answer to your question is "NO" - if you assign a turn for their arrival you'll have to write it down. Sorry, I can't find another way either. Figmo

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI