Display problems. (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition

floyd17 -> Display problems. (9/3/2017 2:20:27 AM)

If I am in the wrong place I am sorry. Had to replace computer. I have a HP 750-524, windows 10. The game only displays a portion of the game screen. I an not very smart around this computer or any for that manner. How do I adjust the screen display and how do I do that. Thanks in advance.

BillBrown -> RE: Display problems. (9/3/2017 2:32:20 AM)

Have you actually started a game? The menu screen is small with a black border around it.

MakeeLearn -> RE: Display problems. (9/3/2017 2:48:36 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Floyd Rehkopf

If I am in the wrong place I am sorry. Had to replace computer. I have a HP 750-524, windows 10. The game only displays a portion of the game screen. I an not very smart around this computer or any for that manner. How do I adjust the screen display and how do I do that. Thanks in advance.

Post a Pic of the problem.

floyd17 -> RE: Display problems. (9/3/2017 5:21:30 PM)

Once you click on the shortcut the loading and everything is small and not all features as present. I tried to play a game but you cant see the whole map or controls at the top

kbfchicago -> RE: Display problems. (9/3/2017 6:24:44 PM)

Floyd,

The adjustment is made by LEFT clicking on your WITP-AE shortcut on your desktop. Select "Properties" from the menu that pops up.

In Properties select the "Shortcut" tab

In the shortcut tab you will see a line for "Target:". this is the path to the WITP-AE program start file and any options (like screen resolution) you may be running.

For EXAMPLE (yours WILL vary), mine says: "C:\Matrix Games\War in the Pacific Admiral's Edition - Copy (5)\War in the Pacific Admiral Edition.exe" -window -altFont -archive -deepColor -px1366 -py768 -fixedArt -noFire -SingleCpuOrders

Everything on this line does something. The "-px1366 -py768" sets your screen resolution which if not set correctly for your system will result in your not being able to see the entire window for the game.

Now, RIGHT click anywhere on your open desktop (not in an open window...) you should get a menu from which you can pick "Display settings". Pick that. Look for your px/py settings. Change or add -px#### -py#### to your startup switches. If they are your only switches, chances are it will look like this (use your display #s!):

"C:\Matrix Games\War in the Pacific Admiral's Edition\War in the Pacific Admiral Edition.exe" -px1920 -py1080

SPACES are important. Be sure you do NOT change the location for your startup file or the shortcut will not be able to start the game... Don't forget to click the "apply" button at the bottom of the shortcut properties before exiting.

You can search on any of the switches above to find more information on this forum. Fairly common question...

Kevin

floyd17 -> RE: Display problems. (9/3/2017 10:49:59 PM)

how do you make the target area display the whole thing. Mine just displayes a short line or part of it. Thanks for the help

floyd17 -> RE: Display problems. (9/3/2017 10:56:41 PM)

My inform in the target area is "C:\Matrix Games War in the Pacific Admiral's Edition\autorun exe"

Hope this helps

MakeeLearn -> RE: Display problems. (9/4/2017 12:15:32 AM)

quote:

My inform in the target area is "C:\Matrix Games War in the Pacific Admiral's Edition\autorun exe"

Hope this helps

NO GO!

Try this...
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4308375

"C:\Matrix Games\WitP AE\Beta2\War in the Pacific Admiral Edition.exe" -px1600 -py900 -cpu4 -SingleCpuOrders -dd_sw -altFont -multiaudio -deepColor -skipVideo -archive -w

You can look up what the various switches mean in the PDF that comes with the Beta (maybe even in a PDF with the main game now, don't know), but the ones he has settled on that can affect performance are

-cpu4
-SingleCpuOrders
-dd_sw
-deepColor

Try them. I would start with -dd_sw and -deepColor as they seem to be the most needed to help performance on Windows 10. In fact, -deepColor seems the most likely. "

"K, you are making a very basic mistake because you don't (yet!) know enough about the technology. Here is some of what a Windows shortcut does. First, it gives you an icon (on the desktop or in a folder somewhere) that you can click on to start a program. But many times we want to run a program with some options which that program allows, so the shortcut accommodates that too. Both things are done in the Target line. Consider Chris's again:

"C:\Matrix Games\WitP AE\Beta2\War in the Pacific Admiral Edition.exe" -px1600 -py900 -cpu4 -SingleCpuOrders -dd_sw -altFont -multiaudio -deepColor -skipVideo -archive -w

There are actually two parts to this Target line, the target (including where to find it) and any extra parameters for Windows to pass to the program when it starts.

The actual target in bold:

The parameters in bold:

Now that you know that you can compare your original shortcut with Chris's and you see that the target is different. That is because Chris installed the game in a different location than you did. That's totally fine, it's just that when you make a shortcut you must refer to the target where it is on your system (of course!).

So, you can change the switches (aka "parameters") in your Target line to be like Chris's, but you must keep the actual target the way you originally had it so it points to the right place on YOUR system. Make sense?

One more thing: the "Start in" line must be correct. Windows uses it to tell the program where is the default place to look for things. For AE the "Start in" line must be the main folder for that AE installation. Moose helped you with that in another thread. For example your "Start in" line should be:

"C:\Matrix Games\War in the Pacific Admiral's Edition"

Notice that there is no "\Beta2\" at the end - this is critical! If that line is wrong you will get various errors like "can't find PW data".

Hope all this helps. "

MakeeLearn -> RE: Display problems. (9/4/2017 12:18:20 AM)

with pic...

"Make a shortcut to "War in the Pacific Admiral Edition.exe"
Right click on shortcut then properties.
In your shortcut to C:\Matrix Games\War in the Pacific Admiral's Edition\War in the Pacific Admiral Edition.exe add the command line switches.

NOT THE AUTORUN SHORTCUT

Example:

"C:\Matrix Games\War in the Pacific Admiral's Edition\War in the Pacific Admiral Edition.exe" -SingleCpuOrders -deepColor -dd_sw -altFont "

[image]local://upfiles/55056/7C4787F208014E5CBD6D555D23B4F602.jpg[/image]

MakeeLearn -> RE: Display problems. (9/4/2017 12:20:09 AM)

Explained in the Gorn dialect....

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4296266

BBfanboy -> RE: Display problems. (9/4/2017 12:32:36 AM)

quote:

Hope this helps

Wrong file. That one just starts the menu, not the game and is unresponsive to switches.
There are numerous threads in the Tech forum that cover Win 10 and switches, as well as some other settings you might need to make within Win 10.
But your first step is to create a direct shortcut to the GAME executable file, as opposed to the menu one the install places on your desktop. Rename that one "WITP-AE Menu" in the shortcut's properties.

Now open Windows Explorer and find where the game is installed on your system. Within the game folders, find the War In The Pacific-Admiral Edition.exe file. Note that there is no 's on the word Admiral. Right click on the executable file and choose "create shortcut". When the shortcut appears in the folder, drag it to the desktop and drop it there. Exit Windows Explorer and move the shortcut to where you want it to remain. You can test it at this stage if you want.

When you are ready to set up your switches, read the various threads describing what the switches do and try to figure out what applies to your situation. Prepare yourself by right clicking on your desktop and looking for the monitor resolution settings that are offered by your video card. You will likely want to use one of these to make the video card more responsive during the game.

When you start putting in switches, do one at a time and test the shortcut after each one to see if the results are what you want.
- Beware the minus key on the numeric keyboard, it has a different ASCII number to the computer than the hyphen at the top of the keyboard, next to the number nine. Use the hyphen.
-Ensure only ONE space between switches.
-Ensure uppercase letters are typed that way even if they are in the middle of the switch text.
- ensure the switches come after the end quote mark on the file path.

I do not have Win 10 so I cannot advise you on settings within Windows, but there are some excellent posts with pictures showing how to overcome things like images bleeding through the game map.

My Win 7 switch setup is: "C:\Matrix Games\War in the Pacific Admiral's Edition\War in the Pacific Admiral Edition.exe" -altFont -archive -deepColor -dd_sw -px1920 -py1080 -fixedArt -skipVideo -SingleCpuOrders -cpu2

Crikey! In the time it took to type up this reply three other posts came in! Do you get the feeling there is some piling on when you ask for help? [:D]

Admiral DadMan -> RE: Display problems. (9/4/2017 9:48:08 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: MakeeLearn

+1

floyd17 -> RE: Display problems. (9/4/2017 10:43:01 PM)

Thanks for the help. Cant see the red X in the menu bar. Also base at far right of map is hard to get access to everything but I am still trying. Is there anything else I need to add to the target line beside -py1920 -px1080. Should I add -deepColor to It? Thanks again

witpqs -> RE: Display problems. (9/4/2017 11:20:28 PM)

quote:

Thanks for the help. Cant see the red X in the menu bar. Also base at far right of map is hard to get access to everything but I am still trying. Is there anything else I need to add to the target line beside -py1920 -px1080. Should I add -deepColor to It? Thanks again

Did you fix the issue identified by others in your post #7 where you pasted in your command line? Are you still pointing to 'autorun.exe'? Because if you are no switches will ever work.

btd64 -> RE: Display problems. (9/5/2017 12:13:32 AM)

Make sure your not cutting and pasting the command line switches. Also, leave a space between them. I have win10 and I use the -deepColor switch. You will when all is well experience some graphic glitches. You learn to live with them....GP

floyd17 -> RE: Display problems. (9/5/2017 2:19:07 AM)

I used the information posted by Makeelarn. Took awhile to figure it all out. Games runs fine so far. The starting and where you pick scenarios and perffences are small but the game map is large. I wll check technical support for more info on Windows 10. Thanks to everyone

witpqs -> RE: Display problems. (9/5/2017 2:36:18 AM)

quote:

I used the information posted by Makeelarn. Took awhile to figure it all out. Games runs fine so far. The starting and where you pick scenarios and perffences are small but the game map is large. I wll check technical support for more info on Windows 10. Thanks to everyone

That is normal as they did not make larger versions of those screens when they implemented larger sizes for the playing windows.

You are very welcome and welcome to the forum!

that -deepColor switch has proven to be essential for almost everyone on Windows 10.

floyd17 -> RE: Display problems. (9/5/2017 5:36:03 PM)

I have two questions before I attempt a game again. 1st question did I need to select a compatibility mode? 2nd question the map is large but the bases seem small (maybe my old eyes cant see well) can they be made larger? Again thanks for all the help and information

BBfanboy -> RE: Display problems. (9/5/2017 11:43:29 PM)

quote:

I have two questions before I attempt a game again. 1st question did I need to select a compatibility mode? 2nd question the map is large but the bases seem small (maybe my old eyes cant see well) can they be made larger? Again thanks for all the help and information

I do not have Win 10, but in the discussions of problems with it I recall that some players solved issues by using compatibility mode. It would not hurt to use it.

If you find the map text and icons are too small, you would have to switch to a coarser resolution. Try 1080X768 (standard VGA) by changing the px and py switches to those numbers. If that is too coarse, right click on you desktop and look at the resolutions offered by your system and choose one in between VGA and the 1920X1080 you are using. Note that with coarser resolutions the downside is that less of the map is visible so you will have to do more scrolling.

btd64 -> RE: Display problems. (9/5/2017 11:57:03 PM)

I have win10 and this is the string I use. -deepColor -skipVideo -fd -px1920 -py1080 -altFont -SingleCpuOrders -dd_sw
I do get some graphical glitches but otherwise it works fine. And again this goes in the Target line....GP

floyd17 -> RE: Display problems. (9/6/2017 2:20:04 AM)

M tring is -fd -px1920 -py1080 -altFont -deepColor -skipVideo -archive have ried adding dd_sw and screen gets small and I have to restart the computer. Also I have noticed that I am beter off using the left right up down arrows, mouse seems sluggest and wont work on top or left side. Also I have selected window7 in the capability area. The computer has i7-7700 3.6 GHz, 16 GB memory. CPU cores: 4 , monitor has 1920 by 1080 resolution. Thanks for the help. Any advice is welcomed. My map is large in the game but where you select scenarios and perferance is small

witpqs -> RE: Display problems. (9/6/2017 2:45:22 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: General Patton

I have win10 and this is the string I use. -deepColor -skipVideo -fd -px1920 -py1080 -altFont -SingleCpuOrders -dd_sw
I do get some graphical glitches but otherwise it works fine. And again this goes in the Target line....GP

This one might get rid of sluggish scrolling.

MakeeLearn -> RE: Display problems. (9/6/2017 3:27:05 AM)

quote:

M tring is -fd -px1920 -py1080 -altFont -deepColor -skipVideo -archive have ried adding dd_sw and screen gets small and I have to restart the computer. Also I have noticed that I am beter off using the left right up down arrows, mouse seems sluggest and wont work on top or left side. Also I have selected window7 in the capability area. The computer has i7-7700 3.6 GHz, 16 GB memory. CPU cores: 4 , monitor has 1920 by 1080 resolution. Thanks for the help. Any advice is welcomed. My map is large in the game but where you select scenarios and perferance is small

If the -SingleCpuOrders doesn't get rid of the slug then have no compatibility, if you've not tried it yet. For resolution, let it play at native resolution and see how you like it.

geofflambert -> RE: Display problems. (9/6/2017 6:43:53 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: witpqs

quote:

This one might get rid of sluggish scrolling.

It's critical to enter the -SingleCpuOrders in BOLD, otherwise it won't work.

Just kidding.

geofflambert -> RE: Display problems. (9/6/2017 6:56:04 AM)

quote:

That's "gornish dialect". When will you people ever get it right? Do you capitalize "human" all the time? As in, "I have a friend who's pretty cool except he's one of those miserable Humans!"

witpqs -> RE: Display problems. (9/6/2017 8:40:00 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

quote:

That's "gornish dialect". When will you people ever get it right? Do you capitalize "human" all the time? As in, "I have a friend who's pretty cool except he's one of those miserable Humans!"

What happens during mating season - do you all get "gorny"? [:'(]

btd64 -> RE: Display problems. (9/6/2017 12:30:57 PM)

Also use;
-SingleCpuOrders

This will also help....GP

MakeeLearn -> RE: Display problems. (9/6/2017 2:07:05 PM)

quote:

Post your exact command switch line.

Drop the compatibility, sometimes it hinders.

MakeeLearn -> RE: Display problems. (9/6/2017 2:10:49 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

quote:

Well... in my Intergalactic Dictionary it says both Human and Gorn can be in capitalization form. And according to my 10th grade Gornish teacher....

BBfanboy -> RE: Display problems. (9/6/2017 5:16:47 PM)

quote:

Also use;
-SingleCpuOrders

This will also help....GP

I was using that and it helped, but some things ran slow during the night phase of the turn. I added -cpu2 and things speeded up markedly. As someone explained it, cpu 1 is used by Windows and tends to be rather busy, so setting cpu 2,3 or 4 keeps the game on it's own cpu thread.

Page: [1] 2   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI