P-40 cruise speed? (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition

Yaab -> P-40 cruise speed? (9/17/2017 1:31:54 PM)

Why is P-40 (all variants) cruise speed so low in the game?

Here it is between 230-310 mph
http://www.wwiiaircraftperformance.org/P-40/P-40.html

Here it says 270 mph
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curtiss_P-40_Warhawk#Specifications_.28P-40E.29

In the game it is 198-200 mph.

Leandros -> RE: P-40 cruise speed? (9/17/2017 3:57:41 PM)

I'd say the "game" speed is the most realistic. Range is very much a factor of cruise speed. It is also meaningless unless it is compared to flight altitude.

The same goes for "max" speeds.

Fred

bartrat -> RE: P-40 cruise speed? (9/17/2017 8:19:01 PM)

Also as a plane is in combat conditions [combat is harsh and repairs are often done in less than ideal conditions and with less than ideal parts] all planes will struggle to meet published stats. So IMHO the game has the correct value.

crsutton -> RE: P-40 cruise speed? (9/17/2017 10:11:04 PM)

Plus pilots learned to coax the most economical speed out of their crates. And this may have been much lower than the factory stated cruise speed. Lot of open water to fly over.

inqistor -> RE: P-40 cruise speed? (9/17/2017 11:30:56 PM)

I'm pretty sure, cruise speed depends of altitude of travel. Game probably doesn't model that.
And cruise speed in game, I recall only mentioned, when used during coordination rolls.

Yaab -> RE: P-40 cruise speed? (9/18/2017 4:25:40 AM)

Touche! With low P-40 cruise speed I was able to coordinate it with Wirraway (yes, I am strange). Switched for a while to the RHS mod, where P-40 cruise is set at 230 mph, and the speed difference delta is now pretty big (P-40 is 230 mph, while Wirraway is 155 mph).

Does that mean that cruise speeds for all fighters were downgraded in the stock/Babes scenarios from factory/test specs to field averages?

Leandros -> RE: P-40 cruise speed? (9/18/2017 7:39:36 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: inqistor

I'm pretty sure, cruise speed depends of altitude of travel. Game probably doesn't model that.
And cruise speed in game, I recall only mentioned, when used during coordination rolls.

Not only that - weight, cruise and climb profile, engine power and propeller settings made a difference. There was a reson why Lindbergh
was sent to the Pacific to teach the pilots economic, long-range flying.

All airplane manuals had (have) graphs for economical (manual) flying. As an example, the P-36, flown at the most economic
altitude and engine settings had its maximum range increased from approximately 800 to 1.200 miles - and a loitering time
of more than 6 hours.

Mind you, this was with full operational take-off weight, which is also a parameter to consider.

Such settings could have a meaning in the game but, personally, I do not see it as practical - even if ships have such a
possibility.

Fred

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI