Yet Another Newb Question... (Full Version)

All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion

roguewarrior155 -> Yet Another Newb Question... (9/21/2017 2:07:15 AM)

I am new to PC war-gaming - totally new. I am interested in military tactics and strategy games, and I am purchasing 'Battle Academy'(1) this Friday. This game is listed on Slitherine as 'Complexity: Introduction', so my question for all you veteran PC gamers is this - what other military tactics / strategy games - at an 'Introduction' level, would you recommend? The particular war or weapons doesn't matter, I just don't want to jump in over my head and find myself overwhelmed and discouraged, as happened to me years ago with board games. Thanks in advance and my apologies if this type of question comes up frequently.

Rosseau -> RE: Yet Another Newb Question... (9/21/2017 2:12:39 AM)

I haven't checked the price difference - it could be significant - but Battle Academy 2 would be the better game and not add to complexity. Both games are also great for multiplayer.

Unity of Command is also a good starter game. But wait for a sale on Steam, as you can get the whole series for virtually nothing.

Have fun

Mike

roguewarrior155 -> RE: Yet Another Newb Question... (9/21/2017 2:35:02 AM)

Thanks Mike! I'm checking out both as soon as I send this...I do appreciate the tips!

C.

James Taylor -> RE: Yet Another Newb Question... (9/21/2017 2:51:18 AM)

It might be a little more definitive if we knew what board games you considered as overwhelming?

roguewarrior155 -> RE: Yet Another Newb Question... (9/21/2017 4:09:03 AM)

Hello James, Thanks for the response. Its been too many years to remember the titles, but one was a D-Day game and the logistics alone seemed overwhelming - and that was before the shooting started. The other that I recall was a Gettysburg game that seemed like it wouldn't be too tough to learn (due to familiarity with the battle), but once it took off it was rather involved. Looking back I realize half the problem - or maybe ALL the problem - was that I was a new, entry-level player playing with guys who were already 'up and running' and once the games got started it was tough to be 'the new guy'. So now I'm ready to re-visit war-gaming at a basic, introductory level and hopefully a more discernible pace.

rico21 -> RE: Yet Another Newb Question... (9/21/2017 4:10:33 AM)

aaatoysandmore -> RE: Yet Another Newb Question... (9/21/2017 12:13:01 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: roguewarrior155

I am new to PC war-gaming - totally new. I am interested in military tactics and strategy games, and I am purchasing 'Battle Academy'(1) this Friday. This game is listed on Slitherine as 'Complexity: Introduction', so my question for all you veteran PC gamers is this - what other military tactics / strategy games - at an 'Introduction' level, would you recommend? The particular war or weapons doesn't matter, I just don't want to jump in over my head and find myself overwhelmed and discouraged, as happened to me years ago with board games. Thanks in advance and my apologies if this type of question comes up frequently.

Check out BundleStars.com last I checked they had both Battle Academy 1 and 6 DLC AND Battle Academy 2 and 1 DLC for $4.99

James Taylor -> RE: Yet Another Newb Question... (9/21/2017 4:22:08 PM)

D-Day & Gettysburg, I'm assuming Avalon Hill vintage. Those are operational level games, known as the mid-scale of wargaming, tactics and strategic being the lower and upper scales.

Battle Academy is the tactical scale, with ranged combat and platoon/squad sized units, individual combat vehicles, is that what you are looking for because that is different from the previous board games you've played?

James Taylor -> RE: Yet Another Newb Question... (9/21/2017 4:32:07 PM)

A simple strategic level game I would suggest is over at Battlefront called Strategic Command and there is a demo unit to try.

Hubert Cater is the developer and he's here in the SC3 forum, but SC version 3 is a little more complicated than the original.

If you want a basic move and fight game with some national orientation as far as research and production of different unit types, SC does that in the European theater of WW2.

Try it before buying, which goes for a lot of games out there. There are lots of demos, get a feel for what you want and then pull the trigger.

Panzer Corps and Order of Battle are a few others that are simple, yet will give you a feel of a good computer interfaced game that you should orient yourself to.

MrsWargamer -> RE: Yet Another Newb Question... (9/21/2017 4:44:51 PM)

Further votes for Battle Academy and Panzer Corps.

Quick simple interfaces, no trouble getting into the game.

Now you won't necessarily win without some effort eh.

Remember, Chess is easy to learn and easy to play, but that doesn't mean you get to win :)

DonCzirr -> RE: Yet Another Newb Question... (9/21/2017 5:03:54 PM)

I like the Crisis in Command games for entry level.

Drive on Moscow and Battle of the Bulge.

Area based games with not too many pieces ... and fun to play.

Frido1207 -> RE: Yet Another Newb Question... (9/21/2017 5:34:40 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: DonCzirr
Drive on Moscow and Battle of the Bulge.
Area based games with not too many pieces ... and fun to play.
+1

Also worth to mention imo are:
- Victory & Glory: Napoleon
- Vietnam 65
- Gettysburg: The Tide Turns

Kuokkanen -> RE: Yet Another Newb Question... (9/21/2017 6:20:02 PM)

Many excellent beginner games have already been mentioned, so I throw out 2 that haven't been mentioned yet. Sengoku Jidai is (almost) all about Japan in the Warring States period (it's in the title, duh). You may have heard/seen about Total War game series, right? Sengoku Jidai is much like that, but turn based. Game engine is the same as in the Battle Academy series, but scale is different (companies-battalions instead of squads) and there are some game play changes (facing matters whole damn lot). Anyway you can have some victories on easier difficulty settings, but winning on the harder levels requires you to understand in good detail how the game works. Read the manual.

Steel Panthers: World at War is the same scale as Battle Academy series, but is bit more detailed and maps are hexes instead squares. But game is free-of-charge, so you can try it and delete it with only cost being your Internet connection and bandwidth to download the game. SPWAW and Steel Panthers series in general have been the first serious war games for many, and they have managed. I played the first game of the series with only partial understanding of the English language and almost no understanding at all about the terminology (what is 'tank destroyer'?), and I managed. You can too.

Red2112 -> RE: Yet Another Newb Question... (9/21/2017 6:27:25 PM)

All great suggestions, but for some reason the game below always getīs overlooked!

Germany at War: Barbarrosa 1941 Great basic game thatīs IMHO a bit above the Panzer Corps, Order of Battle, Battle Academy levelīs...
http://www.matrixgames.com/store/472/Germany.at.War.Barbarossa.1941

aaatoysandmore -> RE: Yet Another Newb Question... (9/22/2017 2:20:12 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Red2112

All great suggestions, but for some reason the game below always getīs overlooked!

Germany at War: Barbarrosa 1941 Great basic game thatīs IMHO a bit above the Panzer Corps, Order of Battle, Battle Academy levelīs...
http://www.matrixgames.com/store/472/Germany.at.War.Barbarossa.1941

If you're going to get GaW: Barbarossa you might as well get The Operational Art of War and get tons of scenarios and a full campaign of the Operation Barbarossa with mini scenarios within it. Then you get other theaters and campaigns and scenario's also for $10 more than GaW: Barbarossa.

Red2112 -> RE: Yet Another Newb Question... (9/22/2017 9:41:30 AM)

Sure but donīt you think ToW is more complex then GaW to someone new to this? Unless we are talking about earlier versions of ToW III of which I have no idea of there learning curve...

roguewarrior155 -> RE: Yet Another Newb Question... (9/23/2017 12:22:33 AM)

Thanks, aaa...I checked out BundleStars and you are indeed correct...they have both Battle Academy's and DLC's for an amazingly LOW price, I really appreciate the tip and I am going to hit them up in a few. Also as I gain a bit of experience I look forward to checking out your suggestion regarding 'The Operational Art of War', it looks like a lot of fun...thanks again!

C.

roguewarrior155 -> RE: Yet Another Newb Question... (9/23/2017 12:32:21 AM)

Thanks for the tip, Red2112...I checked it out and 'Germany at War: Barbarossa 1941' is one of the games specifically listed as 'Complexity: Basic', and it looks like an interesting intro to the war on the Eastern front.

Thanks again,

C.

roguewarrior155 -> RE: Yet Another Newb Question... (9/23/2017 12:34:23 AM)

edited

roguewarrior155 -> RE: Yet Another Newb Question... (9/23/2017 1:04:14 AM)

Yes, they were probably AH boardgames, and thanks for clarifying tactical, operational, and strategic scales. I am hoping to start/learn from the ground up, so I would think squad/platoon sized-units and basic infantry tactics - 'move and shoot' - on that small level would present an easy-to-learn and FUN-to-play format.
I also like your 'Panzer Corp' and 'Order of Battle' recs, they look like a lot of fun and should add nicely to my knowledge base. After I read your post I found 'Order of Battle' (somewhere) for free, and Panzer Corp seems to be everyone's go-to game for newbs.
I checked out Battlefront's 'Strategic Command:European Theater of WWII' and it is on my bucket list as well.
I really appreciate the helpful and informative post, and now to roll up the sleeves and start shootin'.
I'll file some after-action reports as I continue to progress.

Thanks again,

C.

roguewarrior155 -> RE: Yet Another Newb Question... (9/23/2017 1:08:05 AM)

Thanks MrsWargamer...how right you are when you say, "but that doesn't mean you get to win!" at chess...how right you are!
Thanks for the thumbs-up on Battle Academy and Panzer Corps!!

C.

Kuokkanen -> RE: Yet Another Newb Question... (9/23/2017 4:24:00 AM)

quote:

I also like your 'Panzer Corp' and 'Order of Battle' recs, they look like a lot of fun and should add nicely to my knowledge base. After I read your post I found 'Order of Battle' (somewhere) for free,

Here and on Steam

roguewarrior155 -> RE: Yet Another Newb Question... (9/23/2017 5:14:20 AM)

Thank you Matti! That was very kind of you and I do appreciate it...in fact I've just finished the download, can't wait to check it out...thanks again!

Kuokkanen -> RE: Yet Another Newb Question... (9/23/2017 4:46:43 PM)

quote:

Thank you Matti! That was very kind of you and I do appreciate it...in fact I've just finished the download, can't wait to check it out...thanks again!

Don't forget Steel Panthers: World at War. It is worth of a try at least. Then you can decide whether or not to read the manual and play some more.

Yet another cost-free beginner-level war game to recommend is Battle for Wesnoth. This one is fantasy, and it has been translated to some 50 languages. Enjoy.

[edit]
Demo version of The Operational Art of War, Volume 1 (Wikipedia calls it The Operational Art of War I: 1939-1955). It is way back from 1998, but it should give you some idea about the newest game available from Matrix. One review of the game says the free demo version alone is worth of a full priced game. Maybe slightly exaggerated [8|]

roguewarrior155 -> RE: Yet Another Newb Question... (9/23/2017 5:56:35 PM)

I will definitely check out 'Steel Panthers:WaW', I looked over the link you supplied and I read-up on the game, and I am excited about jumping in! I'm always fascinated with tank warfare. And I really appreciate the link to TOAW v.1, this game was mentioned in my thread and I look forward to checking out a version that is HOPEFULLY equal to my current 'speed'!
Thanks again, Matti!

Chickenboy -> RE: Yet Another Newb Question... (9/23/2017 6:08:10 PM)

If you're a total newcomer, I'd strongly recommend War in the East, War in the West or-especially-War in the Pacific, Admiral's Edition.

OK. Just kidding. These are for seasoned veterans only. Very steep learning curves/cliffs and all-consuming. They'll wait for you after you get your chops on more manageable games. In the meantime, welcome aboard. [8D]

roguewarrior155 -> RE: Yet Another Newb Question... (9/23/2017 10:36:19 PM)

DUDE...that was HILARIOUS!! It's a good thing i read your entire post - I almost bounced over to Steam n ordered 'War in the Pacific'...but I've been so busy sharpening my 'war gaming' skills with this shiny new deck of playing cards - brother, playing 'War' all day sure can wear a fella out!!

Ok, my attempt at humor is no match for yours, but thanks for the laugh and especially the 'welcome aboard', I do appreciate it!

C.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI